IGNORED

Lets Open A Can Of Worms.....

Guest SuttonRed

Guest SuttonRed

DW has now been in charge of us for well over 3 seasons and in that time has he proved value for money???

I don't know what he is paid but I think it would be resonable to assume that is a large 6 figure salary. He has also received considerable funds (by division 2 standards) and has been allowed to make a number of signings.

We sit 9th in the worst division 2 that I've ever had the dubious priveledge of watching and although there is time for us to get promoted this year and undoubtedly we have played better in recent weeks we still don't really look like doing it. So has the football we play improved under wilson's guidance (I loosely use that term), well.........NO!

Wilson has been brought in to improve Bristol City Football Club, and for the investment that has been made during his tenure we haven't received the return expected.

Facts are facts we still ply our trade in a division that frankly everyone involved with the club would admit is not where we want to be. I really thought when we signed him that we had got a good 'un. 3 years on I'm afraid that results are really what wilson's efforts should be judged by and THEY JUST AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH!

Guest Eddie Hitler

When Danny was first employed we were told it was on a reasonable basic wage with a substantial performance (i.e. promotion) bonus. So I doubt your high six-figure salary guess is correct and nobody is keener for us to achieve promotion than Danny.

That we've gone backwards, good players have become poor, and in (as you say) the worst second division for years we are piddling around in mid-table all make me think a change is due at the end of this season unless something dramatic happens in the meantime.

Which leaves one major problem. Find a quality manager with a decent record at more than one club (lots of managers get it right once, repeating it at a new club is the difficult bit) who will come here and is better than Danny.

Mmmm difficult one. Steve Cotterill did great at Cheltenham and ok at Stoke. And like lots of small club managers he used long ball tactics as that's all the players could cope with.

Or bring back Benny. Seriously. He's one manager with a repeated record of turning young sides into winning teams.

You must be new to this Forum - this topic has been done to death several times already this season.

The general concensus is that Wilson should be given untill the end of the season and if City are not promoted then Steve Landsdown should seriously look at paying him off despite Wilson having a 3 year deal.Most agree that to change managers mid-season would be a serious mistake.

But the fans have become more disiloutioned(sp?) as this season has progressed and City desperately need to go a run of results if the fans are to regain faith in Wilson.

Guest Eddie Hitler

Yes, but it's not being triggered by a recent defeat by a rubbish team. So it's not the "knee-jerk reaction" that the more extreme Wilson supporters always chuck at anybody questioning his abilities.

Guest Eddie Hitler

You need to be careful with these "general consensus" statements. That's how Richie B got into trouble. We're all just pushing our individual views.

Well, you are anyway. I speak for the great majority of the fans :(

You must be new to this Forum - this topic has been done to death several times already this season.

The general concensus is that Wilson should be given untill the end of the season and if City are not promoted then Steve Landsdown should seriously look at paying him off despite Wilson having a 3 year deal.Most agree that to change managers mid-season would be a serious mistake.

But the fans have become more disiloutioned(sp?) as this season has progressed and City desperately need to go a run of results if the fans are to regain faith in Wilson.

Just because someone doesn't post very often and when they do it is a subject that has been debated long and hard should not detract from the valid point they wish to make.

Some good points were made and I agree with the vast majority of them.

One thing always haunts me and that is that we often accept second best at AG. I felt that when he was appointed and still do. Are we selling ourselves short once again? Bristol City FC is an attractive proposition for most Managers.

An excellent fan base considering where the club has spent the last 20 years. An FA Academy. A Board who have shown loyalty to their manager over the last few years and provided more money than any other manager has had to spend this season outside the top two divisions (and more than some in the top 2). An all seater Stadia and decent away following. But the biggest plus, a young squad with plenty of potential. Additionally a great area to live.

Let's stop selling ourselves short.

Guest Eddie Hitler

Cheshire Red, are you sure we're really that attractive a prospect? I'm not saying we aren't I just think that City looms so large in all or our minds that we can't be objective about how it appears to an oustsider.

I am very surprised by your saying

"One thing always haunts me and that is that we often accept second best at AG. I felt that when he was appointed and still do."

I thought Danny was a brilliant signing at the time. I thought it was a real coup by the board to sign him up.

Guest Eddie Hitler

Benny in Benny in Benny in!

RG, are you telling me that I was the only one who thought it was great when we signed Danny??? Nadgers. I always thought Torpey was excellent as well.

Anyone who wasn't ecstatic after our opening day win at Wrexham and had reservations about Danny Wilson as a manager is playing on hindsight beautifully!

Liars!

How true.

The problem is, where have we gone in terms of producing the goods on the pitch since?

I believe we have the players, and Wilson is holding us back.

Guest SuttonRed

Maybe I am opening old topic (apologies...new to the forum). I have this argument weekly with my mates, but wished to hear some different views on the area.

I genuinely believe that we have to adopt a business driven approach to the performance of wilson at the club. He is well paid (unless my memory fails me it was a coup to sign him at the time), has had considerable resources and we don't see an improvement. As for change during a season I do take the point about changing, it could be detrimental. Then again what is the alternative!

I don't doubt that wilson cares about the cause, I do doubt however his ability. I have watched city for over 15 years and in that time I have never found myself shaking my head as often at tactical changes, substitutions and signings as I have under wilson.

A view could be taken that our business period runs from August to May in which to perform. So far we are nearly half-way through the period and simply aren't doing enough (again) so do we make a change.

A few people have mentioned Benny, I'd take him back tommorow....

Several people on this thread have intimated that they would like to see Benny back.

I would have to disagree with this.

Benny was a cracking coach and came highly recommended with a glittering cv behind him.

However, some people have short memories. The reason that Benny lost his job was because he was totally naive with regard to the British game. He made major tactical and selection misjudgements and it was inevitable that he would get the axe at the end.

Some may say that Wilson is similar, but the difference is that Wilson has played and managed the British game at all levels, something to which Benny cannot attest.

Had he stayed in this country and made his mark, then I would have agreed, but he has gone back to the continent and still has no significant British experience.

Guest SuttonRed

I stand to be corrected on the benny thing but when he joined us we were a side heading straight back where we'd come from and his resources were limited by injuries. Before you say it Iknow we have injuries every season but I felt he gave us some hope.

For me I think we would now be in division 1 if he had stayed. I could be looking at this through my rose tinted specs but I feel the club would be further on with Benny.

Something else I meant to ask earlier was if Wilson does take us up, can he keep us there?

Guest Cider Red Sam

Danny Wilson WILL get us promoted this season and so will still be in charge next year. This may not be down to how good he is as a manager (although Miller and Wilkshire are starting to look like class acts in this division) but later this season when we are promoted it will probably be mainly down to the squad he has here in such a poor division where it would be virtually impossible not to get us into the playoffs. Look at some of our reserve players, I'm sure some would walk into most other div 2 sides (ie Bell, Fortune, Lita.... the list goes on....)

And all you Wilson haters, look on the bright side, we could still have Pulis in charge!

We can go on about Wilson, Barlow and the team forever but they are a reasonable pairing with reasonable players playing in a poor division. The reason we have not progressed is that the board have only stabilised rather than seriously invested and are just drifting along. I cannot demand that anyone put large chunks of their hard earned into the club - even if one of them promised to - but if you join a bord of a football club you have to be a little bit mad and with the kudos comes an expectation, especially if you are reasonably well endowed with readies. What we need is someone or a few like minded souls to seriously invest and take us forward.

Danny Wilson WILL get us promoted this season and so will still be in charge next year. This may not be down to how good he is as a manager (although Miller and Wilkshire are starting to look like class acts in this division) but later this season when we are promoted it will probably be mainly down to the squad he has here in such a poor division where it would be virtually impossible not to get us into the playoffs. Look at some of our reserve players, I'm sure some would walk into most other div 2 sides (ie Bell, Fortune, Lita.... the list goes on....)

And all you Wilson haters, look on the bright side, we could still have Pulis in charge!

Wilson has not done anything more than Pul###### did when manager, yet Wilson has had 3 years, I'm certainly not saying Tony P was a good manager, but Wilsons record here of dodgy tactics and failure doesn't inspire me either.

Archived