IGNORED

Who Did Your Old Man Support?

Br 1st ol

Intrigued to know how many support city cos their old man did?

Or do you have your own mind and support city deispite your family influence?

For the record, my father supported St Blazey (home of Gas head Martyn)...

Therefore i came to know and love city despite my parents influence!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Mum -Saints

Dad - City and Saints

As it stands now I wish my dad had never followed City and brought me up on a diet of Southampton!

My Mum always liked Rovers cos her Dad used to take her. Not really what you'd call a fan, just uses it to wind me up occasionally.

My Dad used to spend his Saturdays at whichever bristol club was home that weekend so always maintains that he likes them both equally; sides with my Mum when she is on a wind-up!

Funny enough, it was only recently that I was taking a trip down memory lane up my Dad's house and I asked why all my childhood memories are of the Dolman Stand; why did he not take me to Eastville if he liked them both?

Quite amazed when he told me that it was in fact my Uncle and not him who took me to football when I was growing up. Can't remember that detail for the life of me!

My Dad came from Southampton and was a Saints fan, just like Willsbridge Red. He settled in Bristol in 1947 and started watching City. I started watching City in the 68-69 season because I wanted to, not parental pressure. I take an interest in Saints' results and still have some family there.

I only ever went to one game with my Dad, Reading away in a 1976 friendly. 2-0 defeat, but the next result was in the league, Arsenal 0 Bristol City 1.

My scouse neighbour is a Liverpool fan because his Dad and older brother supported Everton!

dad supported queen of the south when he was a boy, it was the closest ground to where he lived

he seen them play once before he left home to join the navy!

(i don't think there's a link)

Parents were never into Football as I hail from East Kent. No football down there to speak of other than Margate.

Exactly.

Only got into football after my first city match after I moved to the best city in England. Never looked back and will never change.

well my dad supported bristol city which i am pleased about and he still does but he only supports them becasue my dad's cousin is gary collier which some of you that watched city in 1989 you would no him he was a centre back for bristol city.

My dad was, is and always will be City through and through and has watched them since the 1930's and took me to my first game, I think - it was a long time ago - in 1952 on Boxing Day when we beat Southend 5-0, oddly enough with Peacock scoring the first goal and Atyeo not scoring which was a rarity in them there days.

He is well into his 80's now and blind in one eye AND ALWAYS LEAVES EARLY FROM THE DOLMAN - because he is frightened of getting knocked over which is why I always object to the moaners. We have both had season tickets since 1970 when the Dolman was opened.

Intrigued to know how many support city cos their old man did?

My dad was never much of a footy fan and to prove it supported Cardiff City - fair enough as he was born a stone's throw from Ninian Park (as if the thought of throwing stones would ever cross those boyo's minds, eh?)

Guest city slicker 71

I think maybe a similar post was on here way back, anyway we are all a bit older now! Somehow I don't think I'm going to depart the same way I came in halfway through the promotion season of 54/55. My father started watching the city in the early twenties with my Grandfather and Great Uncle cycling to St Johns Lane in the very early days.

Regards

well my dad supported bristol city which i am pleased about and he still does but he only supports them becasue my dad's cousin is gary collier which some of you that watched city in 1989 you would no him he was a centre back for bristol city.

We certainly do, Gary was a class player, he was the first player to invoke a new freedom of contract clause and went to Coventry City, in those days City could still get a fee which if I remeber was about £350,000 set by Tribunal, which was no where near what we wanted. Dicks paniced and signed everyone on those long term deals. Hence the City 8 and one of the reasons for 1982 etc.

My old man was City through and through, so i really didnt have any choice who i was going to follow.  Not that i am complaining!!

Saw my first game back in 1988 cannot remember who it was against but it was bloody cold and it was terracing where the williams now stands.

As Private Cider says dad was / is City through and through (despite the fact that he grew up in Gas territory in North West Brizzle). Most of our family are City fans. There are a couple of Gasheads in our extended family but we try to ignore them - we even had to exile one of them and his family to Australia !

He took me to City-Boro back in 1985 (or it might've been 1986). We were stood in the East End. I will never forget my first time down at the Gate. I have been addicted ever since.

Mum is now a City fan as well. Her first game was the last home game of the promotion season (97-98). She's now hooked as well and is a season ticket holder in the Atyeo.

Our sister is also City through and through as well.

B)

dad was city, his dad was city and his dad was city.

I am a city fan who went to Ashton Gate from when i was 2 until i moved to Australia. No doubt when i have kids they will be city fans if i can help it.

dad was city, his dad was city and his dad was city.

I am a city fan who went to Ashton Gate from when i was 2 until i moved to Australia. No doubt when i have kids they will be city fans if i can help it.

Oz Red,

Where in Australia are you ?

I'm living / working in Melbourne until the start of March. I am then travelling down the east coast of Oz before getting back to Bristol in time for the start of Euro 2004.

Guest lydneyred

Grandad was a City fan as he used to play for them, in fact he lost an eye playing for them, when they used to use the leather balls.

Dad used to support Leeds and followed them all around England and Europe, he still does, but now follows City as well, thanks to me nagging him when I was little to take me!

Mum follows City as well, she used to go to many a game when she was in her teens (a long long time ago I do believe!!).

In fact, all my family despite most of us being raised in the Kingswood area have turned out to be City fans, perhaps its something to do with being raised in the area and being taught right from wrong at an early age!!

Guest kiwired

My dads a Gashead and I come from a family of Gasheads, which meant I was the but of everyones jokes throughout my childhood.

Hopefully now I've stopped the rot, My 8 year old went to his first ever City game (Barnsley game) a couple of weeks ago (he's visiting England at the moment). I managed to convince my gashead dad to take him to Ashton Gate rather than Rovers.

Archived