IGNORED

Great Win But...

RedTop

...isn't it a bit worrying that we had 17 shots at goal, TEN on target and came uncomfortably close to drawing a game that we deserved to win by a mile?

Great to see Roberts back on the right adding pace, but it's evident we still lack that killer instinct in front of goal. Let's hope this loan signing comes in time for the next match. All credit to Peacock for scoring but he missed two sitters before scoring with a more difficult chance, and I have to admit it makes me rather nervous.

Brilliant results elsewhere in the division with Brighton, QPR, Luton and Bournemouth losing, many against teams fighting relegation. Isn't it amazing that the top TWELVE teams are all within one win of a play-off place. Just shows how lucky we've been that the division is so even and we've been able to stay in touch through a dodgy patch.

It's there for the taking, Danny. No excuses. Time to earn your money.

Incidentally, can any of you there confirm whether Stockpport had 52 per cent of possession, as BCFC World claim. Sounded more like 38 per cent. Perhaps the man who tots up the attendance at the Gate has been given a new job working out the possession figures...

Today the result was everything, 1-0 or 10-0 didn't matter so long as we won. The other team's results have also gone our way!

I'll be honest though, early in the 2nd half I thought if Stockport break away and score that is it. I'd still support City of course, but our season would be over. A few minutes later peacock scores and we're happpy again.

<br /> I agree with this statement, but the football we played, admittedly against a poor Stockport, was very impressive.

Well at least it was in the second half. Don't know what was said at half time, but it made one hell of an effect.

Apart from the glorious 1-2 midway through the second half, we were very lucky we were playing such a poor team. I haven't seen a game for ages where there was such a clear distinction between the two halves. Couldn't belive it was the same team in the 2nd half - it flowed beautifully.

First time in ages I felt like walking out and going for a pint at half time. Glad I stayed :D

And was it me, or were Stockport dirty cheating bstds - far more than any other team I've seen in a while. Didn't help that the referee was abysmal as usual.

And what's going on with Woodman / Hill - I've been really impressed by both of them this year, but they both played a stinker.

And converserly - Peacock. I've agreed with the large amount of posts recently re: Peacock's performance. Do you think he's been abducted and a clone put on?

Today the result was everything, 1-0 or 10-0 didn't matter so long as we won.

True enough, and I don't want to put a dampener on a very important win. But the way we played in the second half, it just sounds alarm bells. If we can only score one goal from that many chances and dominating a game that much against a struggling side, it doesn't auger well for when we play better teams and can't dominate to the same degree.

Then again, maybe scoring after such a long dry spell will lift a weight from Leapy's shoulders and we'll see him sticking them in from all angles.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

The first hald was so bad I seriously thought about having a sleep for the second half - Glad I didn't, it was good to see such a fine strike from Peacock.

Now why can't he score like that more often? It is good to see a City striker actually shooting from outside the box though

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I thought he looked lively today, but Miller is starting to look easily the best forward we have.

Peacock get a new contract? At the moment no

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Yeah but in the first part of the season there was no stopping him. I can't understand why the goals have dried up.

Hopefully this will be the start of a good run for him, which can only benefit Bristol City football club for the better

...isn't it a bit worrying that we had 17 shots at goal, TEN on target and came uncomfortably close to drawing a game that we deserved to win by a mile?

Yes it is! ... lovely to have three points but 3-0 should have been the minimum return today. Credit to Colgan for good saves from Roberts, Hill (a superb effort) and Wilkshire's last minute free-kick but otherwise it was down to our shortcomings I'm afraid.

The game today most recalled was the Grimsby one back in August (just a reminder there for anyone who still believes the poor finishing is a recent problem). You'll recall that Grimsby lost 1-8 at Hartlepool the following week after we'd battered them but only won in the last minute.

On the other hand, we are entitled to feel pleased at so completely outplaying a Stockport team who's recent away form has actually been quite good.

All credit to Peacock for scoring but he missed two sitters before scoring with a more difficult chance, and I have to admit it makes me rather nervous.

Listening to the radio highlights driving home, the commentator kept on about two previous chances but actually his worse mis was a free header in the first half that he just looped into the keeper's hands - Beadle, for example, would have broken the net given a similar chance.

Further, at least three chances went begging as Roberts lashed wide instead of squaring it to better placed colleagues; the quality of cross, particularly from dead balls, was poor throughout; and it was as early as the first minute when Aaron demonstrated the fine art of not getting on the end of things, watching a ball run out for a goal-kick instead of getting in front of his man and stabbing it in at the far post.

Peacock is the No 9- his job is to get goals, cracking goal scored but missed a couple of other chances. typical of him, unfortunatly......

No contract for him, get someone else in.

good performances from Robbo, Miller, Tins, Matty, and a much better overall show, but Christ we make hard work of scoring goals!!!

Guest Withnail

On another note, looking in the stats page of the programme, I was very concerned about one thing: Stockport had scored 11 times from set pieces, only bettered by Argle and QPRse. But well done to the lads, we gave them no opportunities to threaten from set plays and it shows just how important it is for us to cut out the silly fouls around our box.

Well done to the lads on a good win! (Also great to see Roberts "Mr Not the Answer on the Right Wing" put in a tremendous performance that had Danny Jackman, an ex-Villa player, running for cover!)

On another note, looking in the stats page of the programme, I was very concerned about one thing: Stockport had scored 11 times from set pieces, only bettered by Argle and QPRse. But well done to the lads, we gave them no opportunities to threaten from set plays and it shows just how important it is for us to cut out the silly fouls around our box.

Well done to the lads on a good win! (Also great to see Roberts "Mr Not the Answer on the Right Wing" put in a tremendous performance that had Danny Jackman, an ex-Villa player, running for cover!)

<br /> The very same Danny Jackman who was voted overwhelmingly by Wednesday fans as the worst player in Division 2.

Not taking anything from Roberts but other than his goal on Tuesday did very little for 45 minutes.

I hope he eventually proves me wrong as a disappointingly poor footballer whose head goes down to quickly, has little skill and therefore relies on pace and cannot cross a football. My humble opinion is in no way based on his origins but purely on footballing ability. I therefore rate him slight above a Mr A. Brown

Fascinating reading. This was not meant to be a negative posting after a fantastically important win - especially from someone branded a member of the "happy clappy bridgade!" - but some of the responses from seasoned forum members whose opinions I value suggest that my first instincts weren't far out. I'm not suggesting the team is ####, or that we didn't deserve to win, just that we seemed to lack a cutting edge and that we came dangerously close to not winning a game that we should have walked away with, given the number of chances we created. And that this needs addressing because it's better to make changes when we're winning that wait until we're losing.

It sounds like Miller is turning into the player we all hoped. I have to admit it might be time to start Lita alongside him - or even, gulp, give Matthews a chance when he comes back from loan. When he's been fit he's certainly stuck away goals. And as pointed out, for a Number 9 goals is what it's about.

Guest Harry May

I would n't say County were poor at all . From the first minute , they were time wasting. They closed us down very quickly and worked very hard . It was obvious they had come for a point - and until LPs goal it looked like they had achieved that objective. I think in the end we just worn them down .

Between now and the end of May , I think we will have many games like that .

Caldicot Red.

Archived