IGNORED

Well Red Yesterday

Guest Harry May

Guest Harry May

On page 7 in yesterday's Well Red , is an excellent article by our Chairman , Steve L.

It gives an insight into his thoughts on our Academy . Now while we had many discussions on this forum with regards to the Academy , I have n't ever seen anything written in such detail by Steve L.

I found his comments particularly encouraging , especially with regards to an Under-21 Academy league .The last paragraph , I feel , is the most illuminating .

"The Academy system is good in theory, but in practice it has to be more ruthless and efficient to benefit the likes of Bristol City."

Does this mean there are likely to be changes ? I think so.

Caldicot Red.

Sorry Harry, unable to attend the game so no Well Read to read.

An under 21 league is a wierd idea for sure, I cannot see it benefitting the majority of those in this age group other than the odd late developer. Rugby has an U21 League but this is inderstandable as rugby players develop later in terms of skill and obviously the bulk factor.

An U19 league would be far more beneficial to the development of players with perhaps the inclusion of upto two U21's per side.

Guest Harry May

Cheshire Red, Agreed - Under 21 does appear ( on the face of it ) to be 2 years too old to be of benefit to Academy youngsters . However , the gist of the article was that Steve L does belief in the Academy - but he does appear to have some concerns with the final product . He talks of being more ruthless and I think there will be some changes . Not sure if that will be in the entrance critirea or/and in the coaching staff.

Caldicot Red.

Archived