IGNORED

Brentford

Bristol Boy

First of all, we got three points and that's an obvious plus.

Good following too.

Let's also dispell some Football Managers Myths:

1.Just because you're up against a big side, it doesn't mean you have to change things around and bring in taller players.Rushden had the two tallest strikers we're likely to come up against and they were largely ineffective because we kept the ball and passed it accurately on the floor.

Stop the crosses coming in, don't give silly free kicks away (LEE PEACOCK,PLEASE TAKE NOTE) and you negate their effectiveness.

2.We're working on set piece defending-well, Danny my son, I'd get another defensive coach in-me if you like, because you're #### at it!

We let in goals from set pieces because:

a.Like school kids, we're attracted under the ball.

b.Our marking is shocking due to ball watching

c.A big player like Butler doesn't dominate in either area.

d.Phillips doesn't dominate his area.

That being said, we dominated the last 30 minutes of the first half and only their keeper and a brilliant goal line clearance kept City out.Plus some unnecessary free kicks given away by LP and some weakness by Lee Miller.

We switched off in the second half until appalling marking gave Brentford the lead and then, at last DW woke up and subbed the totally ineffective Miller for Lita and then we dominated all but the last five minutes when,as usual, DW told the boys to sit on their lead, which they struggle with, as we all know.

3.The Miller & Peacock combination, as per the TD & JB midfield combo, DOESN'T WORK.I hope DW susses this out quicker than the midfield issue.

4.Wilkshire will need to be replaced AND we still need a natural wide right player.

5.Lita should be given his start after replacing Miller.

6.If we sign a wide player, the Roberts or Lita should partner Peacock or Miller-NOT Miller & Peacock together.

7.Brown & Roberts produce one decent cross in every 6/7 and that's partly why you need a Lita or Roberts to run the channels to create space in the middle.

8.If Tinnions unfit, I'd play Clist with Wilkshire and, if we can't make a quality signing, I'd replace LW with Clist and see how that goes.

9.Aaron Brown should be destroying sides at this level but if he doesn't play well against Bournemouth, I'd give Clist a run in his place.

10.CW should replace TB against Bournemouth.

Guest spudweiser30

i think you got it in one there, i agree with all your points city are a great side yet when they arnt up for it they really do look like they should be in the relegation not the promotion one!! we need to get a regular side that can play as one unit not individuals.

We're working on set piece defending-well, Danny my son, I'd get another defensive coach in-me if you like, because you're #### at it!

We let in goals from set pieces because:

a.Like school kids, we're attracted under the ball.

b.Our marking is shocking due to ball watching

d.Phillips doesn't dominate his area.

I agree Butler is not the player he once was.

As for the rest regarding our defence, no offence but its utter rubbish! We've the best defensive record in our league (21 goals conceded) - we've conceded less than a goal a game, which is impressive.

Defenders cannot perform 100% all the time and players will make mistakes no matter how good they are!

I'd hope a few minds have been changed since this post began at end of Dec. Surely our excellent run, good defensive record, Peacock & Miller linking well etc means many of the above points are beginning to be addressed/improved or were never valid to start with.

Miller/Peacock partnership really beginning to look the part.

Agree there still could be problems in defence, but moving Hill into the centre and Woody on the left seems to be pretty effective.

Goodfellow is obviously a key signing providing pace and crosses from the right and seems to be impressing in every game.

Wilkshire will be back soon and challenging for a place in the centre, although with Tommy on the form he is, Luke might just have to start out on the bench.

Things are looking promising, let's enjoy it and support the team and the manager.

Manager of the Month for Jan???? He'd definitely be mine :D

Guest spudweiser30

lets hope this run continues to the end of the season, they have the talent to do it. Danny has got the partnerships he just has to play the right players at the right games. They will be a unit once all the fine tuning has happened :D

I agree Butler is not the player he once was.

As for the rest regarding our defence, no offence but its utter rubbish! We've the best defensive record in our league  (21 goals conceded) - we've conceded less than a goal a game, which is impressive.

Defenders cannot perform 100% all the time and players will make mistakes no matter how good they are!

As one poster says, a lot of the points have been addressed.

We've signed a winger and that's helped on the crosses

Once again, on Saturday, we conceed from a set piece and that fraility was one of the reasons for our relegation from Div 1 and the reason we're not at least second now.

I don't know the exact figure but a high percentage of our goals have been conceeded from set pieces and I know that Hartlepools goal by Gabbiadini came from a set piece in the 1-1 draw earlier this season.

I think that what's happend since Brentford has borne out much of what I said and on Miller & Peacock you can't really say what would have happened if Lita or Roberts had partnered Peacock.

While we're winning you can't really complain but Miller has to start hitting the net more regularly before I'll say the partnerships really cracked it. Most of the comments I have made say Miller or Peacock, not both and I still stick to that.

Archived