IGNORED

Just A Thought

RedTauntonian

I was just wondering how many of our squad would be up to div 1 footy? should we go up.

danny coles, easily

Luke wilkshire in the centre, most proberly

Lee Miller, with this season behind him, yep, think he could

Christian Roberts, as a winger, worth a go

Steve Phillips, some might not agree, but yep, think he could,

Think matty hill could, but not certain, also maybe woodman, if he continues his recent form.

But apart from that we really are in ######!t Unless we sign a couple of players and really really work hard every week?

What does everyone else think?

I think most of the squad could make the step up but I would have two worries.

One - that Wilson would get the team formation/selection wrong thereby not maximising the strengths of the squad.Two - that City are currently lacking firepower and would definately need a recognised goalscorer.

Guest Red_Rat

I disagree,in my view especially this season Aaron Brown has proved himslef to be upto the task,He frightens defenders and can come up with the unexpected.I think he could play a very useful role in Division1.

"danny coles, easily"

I disagree, it seem's I'm the only one, but I actually don't rate Coles, and I think he's our most overrated player.

Fair enough, he's pretty strong and ain't that bad when it comes to tackling, but he is a rubbish footballer, I've very rarely seen him make a pass without it slicing out of play or going to the opposition.

Couldn't believe it when I heard about Liverpool and Cardiff's interest, I would of definently accepted their 500k offer.

Guest Cider Red Sam

In my opinion....

I think players comfortably good enough for the first division are.....

Coles

Wilkshire

Then there are many players, who, if certain things happen, could be.....

Butler - needs to be more consistent, on top form he's good enough

Fortune - I think I am the only person that does, but I really rate him. If given a chance to get a bit of experience this year, then next season I believe him and Danny Coles could become as strong a centre back partnership as any other in the 1st division.

Doherty - If he can improve his fitness and stop giving the ball away stupidly

A.Brown - needs to be more consistent, on top form he's good enough

Lita - If given the necessary experience this year

Then I feel there are a few players who'd struggle but could just about cope....

Peacock

Miller

Hill

Carey

So in my opinion, we only have 2 players that are definitely good enough. That doesn't sound too promising!

Personally i think on their day, most players we have could survive a season in div1 but if they were to have a half season like we just had we would be coming straight back down, i know we are 3rd but we have s####ed by in a poor league.

Phillips needs a goalkeeper pushing him hard for him to improve but has saved us in the past on numerous occasions so i would stick by him.

Our defence is o.k but all have a tendancy to ball watch at set-pieces, Bell is probably the only player i have my doubts with, he has been a good player for us in the past which unfortunately has been forgotten, but maybe it's time for him to step down a division.

Our midfield is nowt special at all, too many same kind of players here, maybe losing Burnell or Doherty and getting someone new in who can get forward more, Brown is inconsistent, Roberts is inconsistent and Clist appears to be heading out the door anyway, Tinns can't go on forever and will surely be retiring in the next few seasons it appears that Wilkshire is a good find for centre midfield (not right wing).

Up front for me is the biggest worry, Peacock when interested will score his fair share of goals when he has his right head on in this division, he will need to be on top of his game every week in div1 as he will get less chances, Miller looks promising but will he be able to jump up a division when he struggles for goals now. Roberts needs too many chances like Peacock to stick one away, Matthews will probably not be here and Lita needs some experience leaving just Marvin who will probably be gone.

The only players who i believe will be good enough on a regular basis is;

Coles

Hill

Woodman

Wilkshire

possibly Doherty

...the rest of them will only collectively be good enough on occasions.

Big performances from the team every week will see us survive just, but surviving is all we need to do for season 1.

I would sya most of our squad are. Unless of course the general standard of division 1 teams increases about 10 fold we won't have a problem. The difference in ability between us, QPR and Plymouth and 10th in division one is negligable at best. The fact that Cardiff are no better if not worse than last season and are doing ok shows just how poor division 1 really is.

If you put this team + Murray in division 1 we would be comfortably in the playoffs.

As for players,

Coles - Easily

Hill - Technically our best defender and technically better than most in this division by a mile, only Carlisle comes remotely close.

Doherty - If the git had an engine he would be comparable to Koumas.

Robbo - WOuld do fine at Rw in division 1.

Miller - Good enough, needs an established division 1 goalscorer alongside him though.

Jones - personally i rate him as one of our best defenders and definately the best definsive prospect we have.

Fortune - Same as Jones really, one of them has to play if we go up i think.

Phillips - -Best keeper in this division by a country mile, and better than a lot in div 1.

Wilkshire - Could be a real gem, class player at this and div 1 level.

Peacock - On form is good enough, but not on form enough, 1/2 season out of what 3-4 seasons isn't good enough.

Brown - Has the ability, consistancy is the key.

A team that would survive in division 1 unless quality improves immeasurably,

Gk. Phillips

Lb. Hill

Cb. Coles

Cb. Jones/fortune

Rb. ???? wankmag if fit really.

Lm. Brown

Cm. Doherty

Cm. Wilkshire

Rm. Robbo

Cf. Miller

Cf. ?????/Lita if he gets expirence, but not ready for the step up yet.

We need to make a few choice additions,

a right back either first choice or cover for wankmag,

A proven striker - Cureton would do.

A keeper as competition for Stevie

A central midfielder as cover, as although Burnell could hack it occasionally would struggle if we lost more than one Cm

A right winger - To bring on Robbo and offer a challenge.

The only essential purchase is a striker, the rest are desirable but not necessary.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I think without major changes to the whole sqaud, we would come seriously unstuck.

Div 1 is a quality division, with some extremly good players.

Players I would use from the present side would be.........

Ummmmmmm

:(

????

Wilkshire

Aaron B

Roberts

I really think Roberts could be the man in Div 1, especially if he plays forward, as for the others, well I'm sorry but the class just isn't there to do well in comparison with the top 10 teams in that Divison.

Guest pogue mahone

i agree with WR, with the exception of roberts who lacks the required ball control.

without major changes we would be punished week in week out, just like last time.

i would therefore say wilkshire, brown, and possibly peacock and phillips

Guest Bathred
I disagree, it seem's I'm the only one, but I actually don't rate Coles, and I think he's our most overrated player.

You are not alone Red Boy, I agree with you that Coles is our most overrated player. One of his best performances this season was in the pre-season friendly against Leeds when he was marking Smith. Apart from that he has not exactly set the world alight.

As for the others in the 1st div we would need some fresh blood to stay there let alone make an impression. We need a proven goalscorer up front to partner either Miller or Peacock. Either a strong right winger or a left footed creative player like Tinman, and if we had the money someone to take charge of the back row.

Most of the rest of the team could play at a higher level with the right competion for places and new blood and spirit. This team, apart from Miller and Wilkshire are used to be being the "Best Team not to go up in the 2nd Div" There is a comfort zone here this is where they are a big fish in a small pond.

I am NOT saying they don't want to go up, I'm sure they do if only for the money. But this is where they are comfortable new faces will have a greater desire to turn in a good performance and prove their worth. Both Miller and Wilkshire are working hard and now Danny has put Luke in the right place it is only a matter of time before he boosts the goal count.

Going up this time. C'mon you REDS!

[if you put this team and murrey.]

Murrey isn't excactly setting the 1st div on fire is he, so why would he for us? I'm pretty sure that we could get someone in that could do a better job than him.

I think he would be doing much better for us in division 1 than he is with reading, for one reason and one reason alone. Tinnion. I was worried that if he left he would not do as well without someone as good as tinman to play the ball to him, and it would appear i thought right.

Tinnion + Murray = awesome

Murray - Tinnion = not so good.

He would be setting the division alight in a side with someone who can play the ball like Tinman, only one that springs to mind is Koumas.

I don't think division 1 is strong at all. Look at where Cardiff are, they ain't that good, the teams below Cardiff ain't much better than the top 3 of this division if at all better. Yes the top few teams are far superior to anything else, and have some great players, Koumas is the best player in division 1 by an obsolute mile, and you have players like marlon harewood, damien Johnston etc, but none of them reside in teams that are not doing fairly well. the best you are looking at in the weaker sides is merson, who on his day is incredible but has been poor to average mainly, and that is it really.

Dont be fooled into thinking div1 is not a strong division, Coventry,Derby and Forest to name a few are big clubs but are struggling to get to grips with the division, make no bones about it without a goalscorer and some decent defenders and energetic midfielders we would come straight back down.

Dont be fooled into thinking div1 is not a strong division, Coventry,Derby and Forest to name a few are big clubs but are struggling to get to grips with the division, make no bones about it without a goalscorer and some decent defenders and energetic midfielders we would come straight back down.

Derby are just plain awful, have they got any good players left ?

Forest, they were a two man tean last season, and have lost one if not both of them. Loosing Harewood i think it was has destroyed them, they took out his 30 odd goals and were left with no support for Johnson. Who if not already gone will go.

Cov they ahve been getting steadily worse since they went down.

Watford, we beat them and outplayed them earlier in the season and we were not doing to well at the time.

Burnley, bit of a non event, not good not bad either really.

Wimbledon, woeful.

Bradford, having a complete monster.

I would say up to fifteenth, there is not much better than us, QPR or Plymouth the way they are playing.

I don't think we can hope to compete with anything down to millwall in 10th, but after that there isn't much of a quality gap.

Crewe they couldn't beat us when they were down here, and their squad has got weaker with the massive loss of Hulse and they are still 11th.

Cardiff we beat them apart from when it really mattered, finsihed above them and were the better side, they haven't strengthened, but have ernshaw and they are 12th.

Without a goalscorer we would struggle, but i think survive, but with a goalscorer we should be fine.

Our defence isn't that bad, our main centre back managed to keep in his pocket the player who i think is still top scorer in the english league Ernshaw. A big centre forward alongside Colsey, would be fine, and they could be taken from what we have in the form of Jones or Fortune. The only chink in our defence is Carey i think.

Midfield, Doherty is good enough and so is Wilkshire, but cover would be helpful, as Burnell can't cope for more than a few games, Clisty is an unknown quantity, would do better at that level where you are not just going to get kicked.

The biggest weakness for me would be the step up in quality of manager, we can just about get by in this league with a tactically inept manager, but at the next level Willson i think would be frequently out managed and it would be difficult.

I realise that my knowledge of watching City is pretty limited but from the 3 games I saw over Christmas, I'm sorry to say I dont think many of the squad are good enough, and thats after watching 2 and a half good performances (I wont mention the 1st half against Stockport)

Phillipps' kicking is absolutly abysmal, not good enough for the step up where pace and speed are even greater,

Carey does not strike me as a natural full back

Butler looks well past it, cant pass and misses too many tackles

Hill, maybe, but only maybe

Roberts, get rid of him and get someone who actually looks interested in playing for our club, nowhere near good enough

Doherty, class passer, from what I saw but fitness must be a problem

Brown, Maybe

Peacock, if he gets caught coming back from an offside position with his arms raised, anymore, I would sack him!

Miller maybe.

Now what about the coaching staff, A keeper who cant kick, central defender missing tackles and passes, midfielder with no fitness, a forward who jogs back from offside and a winger who aint interested, how do they actually earn their money?

Sorrry to be soo negative, but it is my opinion

Roberts is the sort of player you either love or hate. He'll always have his knockers, no matter how he plays or how many goals he scores, there's not a lot you can do about that.

Butler was excellent over the christmas period, dominant in the air and calm and assured on the deck.

And as for Doherty being a class passer. I've never seen such a good ball winner lose so much possession through poor passing.

How can you say roberts doesn't want to play for the club, have you watched him closely lately? He gives his best most of the time, maybe people should stop knocking the bloke and give him some support.

ooh I watched hime very closely against Bournemouth, perhaps you would like to explain to me what he actually did. I thought he was shocking! ran up dead ends gave the ball away, didnt bother tackling back, suppose he was alright apart from that

<br /> ooh I watched hime very closely against Bournemouth, perhaps you would like to explain to me what he actually did. I thought he was shocking! ran up dead ends gave the ball away, didnt bother tackling back, suppose he was alright apart from that

He tracked back when he needed to. Murray didn't track back unless he needed to, so obviously he was #### as well then ?

robbo didn't have his best game against Bournmouth, but he has the pace and the ability, and runs his bollox off for the team. he is better than Murray was at the same age by some distance.

people are too ready to judge him against last years murray, but what about against the Murray who was woeful for 3 months of the previous season ? or the murray that was a poor understudy to Goodridge who wasn't particularly good anyway ?

Archived