IGNORED

New Shop Opening Hours

edson

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've only just noticed it.

Taken from the official website Shop Opening Hours

NEW SHOP HOURS FOR 2004 (from 5/1/2004)

Mondays: 8.30am-5pm

Saturdays (non-matchdays): 9am-12 noon

Saturdays: 9am-3pm

Now maybe I've got this wrong, but does that not mean that the shop will be closed while 10,000 people troop past it on their way home after a game?

Does it not also imply that it will be closed for midweek games?

I guess those aren't the times you want to be open, as most City fans are down at The Gate on a Monday, aren't they?

Someone tell me I've missed the logic behind this, please, and explain it to me.

Someone tell me I've missed the logic behind this, please, and explain it to me.

No doubt Mr Gould has done his research which shows that when fans are leaving the Gate after a match they are keen to either get to the car or bus stop or into the nearest bar.The facts are that fans don't hang around after a game.It makes sense to shut the shop at 3pm.

Doesn't it??.... :wacko:

It's a valid point.

And a rather bizarre choice of hours. Either they're cutting back on staff or there aren't enough staff to cover the previous amount of hours.

The choice not to open the shop for atleast another 30 minutes after kick off is even more odd, considering it would be simple to organise: ie. The staff are likely to be City fans already watching the game, and it just means they would have to leave their seats 5 minutes early to re-open the shop, doesn't it?

Or are we just being considerate to our staff now, because it's not like we need the profits that would be made in that extra 30 minutes or so after a match, is it?

Like you, I find this stupid, to say the least!

No doubt Mr Gould has done his research which shows that when fans are leaving the Gate after a match they are keen to either get to the car or bus stop or into the nearest bar.The facts are that fans don't hang around after a game.It makes sense to shut the shop at 3pm.

I would still be very surprised if the shop took more money in eight and a half hours on a Monday, than it would in the half hour immediately after a game on a Saturday.

If the fans aren't hanging around after a game, perhaps the thing to do would be to ask 'Why?', rather than shutting the shop.

As you say, this is probably based on researching the figures, but it doesn't stack up, to me.

<br /> No doubt Mr Gould has done his research which shows that when fans are leaving the Gate after a match they are keen to either get to the car or bus stop or into the nearest bar.The facts are that fans don't hang around after a game.It makes sense to shut the shop at 3pm.

I vaguely remember some explanation along the lines of encouraging people to the ground early rather than having them hang around after.

<br /> No doubt Mr Gould has done his research which shows that when fans are leaving the Gate after a match they are keen to either get to the car or bus stop or into the nearest bar.The facts are that fans don't hang around after a game.It makes sense to shut the shop at 3pm.

Doesn't it??.... :blink:

Obviously that's correct.

There I was the other week, waiting in the queue outside the ticket office to purchase my ticket for the Barnsley cup game (after the Barnsley league game), and to my surprise they had started to put the shutters down on the shop whilst there were still quite a few people walking around.

Do they not think that perhaps some people waiting to purchase tickets, would also like to go into the shop afterwards as well!!?

Hmmm :blink::wacko:

The staff are likely to be City fans already watching the game, and it just means they would have to leave their seats 5 minutes early to re-open the shop, doesn't it?

<br /> Only i see a problem with that, the Dolman stand haven't realised that the game lasts 90 mins not 85, so if the staff were to sit in the Dolman they would have to leave 10 minutes before the end to avoid the rush, and that might encourage another trend for the early leavers. :wacko:

Before you know it the Dolman leavers will be leaving at half time.

I vaguely remember some explanation along the lines of encouraging people to the ground early rather than having them hang around after.

Yeah, the last thing they need is people hanging around after a game buying stuff. What would be the point of that?

I'm sorry, but that isn't how the average football fan thinks, is it?

"Time for another pint?"

"No, I'd better not. The club shop closes in twenty minutes and, as it no longer opens after the game, I don't want to miss the opportunity to go in there now."

I imagine a lot of people browse before a game, then come back and purchase items once the game has finished, rather than carry bags around and into the ground, where they will get searched, trodden on and possibly even stolen.

Maybe I'm wrong, as obviously this step wouldn't be taken without some research being done, but any reason for closing a shop whilst your target audience walks past the front door, had better be a bloody good one.

Crazy in the extreme! I can't believe that the Clubshop will not be open after matches at Ashton Gate.

Has anybody else noticed that since its refurbishment, there's nothing in the shop? The odd replica shirt, sweatshirt etc, but the place feels empty and sterile.

BS4

Just had a quick look around a handful of grounds and couldn`t find one club shop that didn`t shut at 6pm on a saturday

Yeah, but how silly will they all look, when they see how much more successful our closed shop is then their open ones?

Maybe I'm wrong, as obviously this step wouldn't be taken without some research being done, but any reason for closing a shop whilst your target audience walks past the front door, had better be a bloody good one.

I'm with m'learned friend Edson on this one. It seems baffling. If its a staffing issue, why not give the assistants one afternoon off during the week when there's no customers around in return for them working an extra hour or so on a matchday?

why not give the assistants one afternoon off during the week when there's no customers around in return for them working an extra hour or so on a matchday?

I guess that would have to be a Monday afternoon, as the shop isn't open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays, according to the opening hours listed.

Edson, totally agree on this one.

While I understand robbored's point, there are also just as many fans who like to 'pop' into the shop, while crowds disappear & enthusied after the game that they want to buy that 'special gift'.

I hope upon hope that the Weekday openings should read Monday to Friday, as to open one day a week would be madness & opens up the channel for people to get that little gift elsewhere (Broadmead/Mall) :wacko:

Then again maybe (just maybe) they are not getting the numbers through the doors & turnover is not good B)

Edson, totally agree on this one.

While I understand robbored's point, there are also just as many fans who like to 'pop' into the shop, while crowds disappear & enthusied after the game that they want to buy that 'special gift'.

I hope upon hope that the Weekday openings should read Monday to Friday, as to open one day a week would be madness & opens up the channel for people to get that little gift elsewhere (Broadmead/Mall) :blink:

Then again maybe (just maybe) they are not getting the numbers through the doors & turnover is not good  B)

And obviously, if our replica kit was made by a leading brand, this wouldn't be the case, would it Richie?!

:wacko:

<br /> And obviously, if our replica kit was made by a leading brand, this wouldn't be the case, would it Richie?!

:wacko:

Very good point.

You could be spot on here.

I am not sure how many other club shops have such crazy opening hours & whenever I am out & about, the club shops I pop into are always open.

But there again I havn't stumbled across another TFG shop B)

I do believe though that given the right product (not just replicas) - we would have no choice but to open '7 days a week' - even a late night Thursday :blink:

You make me laugh, Richie.

You don't go away very often, obviously!

There's loads of clubs in this division that use TFG as their kit suppliers and have a very similiar look to their shops, which I hasten to add, always look very smart.

I was taking the micheal, because in my opinion, this is once again just more bad, un-logical management by the club, and the sort of management we've come to expect.

But hey, what do I know?

You make me laugh, Richie.

You don't go away very often, obviously!

There's loads of clubs in this division that use TFG as their kit suppliers and have a very similiar look to their shops, which I hasten to add, always look very smart.

I was taking the micheal, because in my opinion, this is once again just more bad, un-logical management by the club, and the sort of management we've come to expect.

But hey, what do I know?

Brentford,Stockport & Plymouth - Oh how could I forget :wacko:

Not saying the shop is not attractive, it's ok. But even the club admit that it could be bigger & of better lay-out.

When I talk about travel, I tend to set my sights a little higher in stature. :blink: - If we want to remain with the TFG boys then we have to think smaller & on the 2nd Div level we are on.

I was thinking of more recent visit's I have taken in - Stoke, Derby, Palace, Charlton, West Brom & Forest. But we shouldn't be compared to these teams?? :blink: OR SHOULD WE B)

Vision has to be outside of the 2nd & 3rd Div & in line with teams that we should be matching both on & off the field.

Sheff Weds will be a good shop to take in.

I think I need to clarify the opening hours, as the intial release was not at all clear!! The shop will be open 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 12pm on Saturdays (non Matchdays).

For the past few months we have trialled opening 9 - 5 plus open until 7pm on Thu - but Thu evenings were very quite (even over Christmas). Prior to this the normal hours were 9-5.30 but it was always very quiet after 5pm. It may be that the earlier start of 8.30am will prove more popular.

On evening matches the shop will stay open until kick off and will also be open after the game (although for some smaller night games such as the early rounds of the LDV we do not open after the game because there is insufficient business).

On Saturday Matchdays the advertised hours are 9am to 3pm, but the shop is open after the game until the crowds have dispersed.

It should also be noted that the shop was open every day from Mon 24 Nov to Xmas, and routinely opens on Bank Holidays.

Regards

Richard

• Admin
I think I need to clarify the opening hours, as the intial release was not at all clear!!

No, the initial release was perfectly clear. I think the phrase you are looking for is "the intial release was completely wrong. Sorry.".

On evening matches the shop will stay open until kick off and will also be open after the game (although for some smaller night games such as the early rounds of the LDV we do not open after the game because there is insufficient business).

Good. So may I suggest that this information is put on the official website and included as part of the advertised opening hours, rather than just as part of a reply on the forum, which, after all, only reaches a small minority of City fans.

On Saturday Matchdays the advertised hours are 9am to 3pm, but the shop is open after the game until the crowds have dispersed.

Again, I'm glad to hear it, but I don't see the logic behind advertising one set of opening hours (which are still the same on the official website, as I type), whilst actually opening the shop for hours that aren't listed.

Is there a purpose to keeping the information under your hat?

Archived