IGNORED

It's Not Football!

CITY BOY DAVE

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE OLD WAYS OF FOOTBALL WHEN IT USED TO BE ABOUT WHO WAS THE BEST TEAM ON THE PITCH AND A PLAYER HAD HIS HEART SET ON THAT TEAM? NOW IT'S ALL ABOUT WHO'S GOT THE MOST MONEY AND NOT ANOUT THE SPORT AT ALL...

Chelsea and Arsenal two teams of foriegners trading under those names :D nothing at all to do with the areas they are supposed to represent. :@ Not good for English football.The English players are rapidly vanishing from top teams, which is not good for the English game.Bring back the 2 or 3 limit on intruders :ph34r:;)

Guest Tactical Genius
Chelsea and Arsenal two teams of foriegners trading under those names :D nothing at all to do with the areas they are supposed to represent. :@ Not good for English football.The English players are rapidly vanishing from top teams, which is not good for the English game.Bring back the 2 or 3 limit on intruders :ph34r:  ;)

You've been listening to too much Kilroy-Silk. This point of view is so groundless in actual evidence and fact that I am bewildered that anybody still trots it out. Fact, English sides have always included a substantial number of players not qualified to play for England. In the past these players used to be Scots, Welsh and Irish. Now that there is a rise in non-UK players there is suddenly an outcry. Why would that be I wonder? Where was the condemnation of Liverpool in 1986 when their starting 11 in the Cup Final contained not 1 player eligible for England?

Fact, before the post-Sky TV influx of foreign players England did not only fail to win International tournaments but they also regularly failed to qualify for the Finals, 74,76,78,84,94 that's 5 tournaments in 20 years that we didn't even take part in. At least now we get to stumble through to the quarter-finals on a regular basis.

Fact, when we start to produce players who are able to retain the football and play properly rather than just being able to run around a lot putting in a lot of effort, then we might start to challenge for the highest honours. Until there is a radical overhaul of coaching methods from the bottom level to the top then this will not happen.

I understand the argument about too many foreigners having an effect on the national team, but lets be honest if we were to get in the premiership with 11 foreigners i wouldnt give too ######s!

As much as i love my national team(off to both games next month and denmark in aug)i would prefer city to be in the top flight more than anything.

I'd of course prefer local/english players but you cant blame clubs if there getting success with foreigners because if the boot was on the other foot we wouldnt care. :ph34r:

Guest Tactical Genius

albany clearly you don't understand it, because if you looked at the facts we have performed better as a national side over the last dozen or so years.

albany clearly you don't understand it, because if you looked at the facts we have performed better as a national side over the last dozen or so years.

Playing with and against world class (albeit foreign world class :P ) makes players raise their game. Playing with Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Robert, Ronaldo, Robben etc just brings other player's games along.

The hope was that Chelsea would have an english backbone, who would be truely world class with the development of players like Chek and Drogba around them.

Thanks for the concern but i do understand it perfectly.

But its only been this season that teams have been playing completely non english sides.

So we wont see how this affects the national team for a few years yet.

Guest Tactical Genius

None of whom played, but don't let facts get in the way.

The truth is that the top flight has always had numerous players who aren't qualified to play for England, and when these players were from other UK countries nobody batted an eyelid. I'd wager that Tottenham's great side of 1961 had as many English players as their side this weekend will contain, it's always been there.

Face it, I'm over here, I've got one of your jobs, and I've had some of your women.

Chelsea and Arsenal two teams of foriegners trading under those names :D nothing at all to do with the areas they are supposed to represent. :@ Not good for English football.The English players are rapidly vanishing from top teams, which is not good for the English game.Bring back the 2 or 3 limit on intruders :ph34r:  ;)

Man U:

The Neville brothers, Ferdinand, Brown, Scholes, Rooney, Smith - all English

Giggs, Keane, O'Shea, Fletcher - all british

Arsenal:

Cole, Campbell, Pennant (ok maybe not quite as many as Utd, although I've probably missed a few)

Chelsea:

Terry, Lampard, Cole

Duff

There are English/British players in the top teams, so to an extent your original point is not valid. If it was not for the foreign players in the English game, then our national side would be even worse than what it is now. Players learn from each other, and players from different parts of the world introduce different styles to every league they play in worldwide.

There are also plenty of teams below the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea which have plenty of English/British talent among their ranks, along with some very good imports.

As for the limit on foreign imports - Personally I don't see the problem.

A stipulation where each team has to field at least 3 or 4 English players maybe, but then to go back to my other point the English game would be worse without the "invaders"

Man U:

Arsenal:

Cole, Campbell, Pennant (ok maybe not quite as many as Utd, although I've probably missed a few)

Chelsea:

Terry, Lampard, Cole

Duff

There are English/British players in the top teams, so to an extent your original point is not valid. If it was not for the foreign players in the English game, then our national side would be even worse than what it is now. Players learn from each other, and players from different parts of the world introduce different styles to every league they play in worldwide.

There are also plenty of teams below the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea which have plenty of English/British talent among their ranks, along with some very good imports.

A stipulation where each team has to field at least 3 or 4 English players maybe, but then to go back to my other point the English game would be worse without the "invaders"

How many of those named came through the ranks? how many young new talents have any chance of coming through Chelsea`s youth team to get in first team? if they need a player they go and buy one.

Just feel its a shame the top teams in England are made up mainly of foriegn players.

Home grown talented players are getting fewer and fewer, clubs that used to bring home grown players through the ranks arent doing that now so much and it will get worse as the years go on unless a limit on imports is brought back. I.M.H.O. :ph34r:

Guest Tactical Genius
Home grown talented players are getting fewer and fewer

Exactly. Because the coaching is not to the required standard. Wenger plays foreign players because they are better then Pennant, better than Jeffers, better than Chilvers, better than Taylor, not because these players haven't had the opportunity to play. Having the opportunity to play against world class players every week didn't exactly turn, say, Gary Flitcroft into a better footballer did it. He was average when he started, and average when he finished.

Man U:

Arsenal:

Chelsea:

Terry, Lampard, Cole

Duff

Keane, O'Shea and Duff are from The Republic of Ireland and no more British than Henri and Vieira.

None of whom played, but don't let facts get in the way.

The truth is that the top flight has always had numerous players who aren't qualified to play for England, and when these players were from other UK countries nobody batted an eyelid. I'd wager that Tottenham's great side of 1961 had as many English players as their side this weekend will contain, it's always been there.

Face it, I'm over here, I've got one of your jobs, and I've had some of your women.

Sorry but those 3 players all played in that season. Fact sorry. :ph34r:

So the Republic is no longer classed as Great Britain then?

No, it's not - and never was. Look at the front of your passport: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - if Ireland was part of Great Britain, why add "and Northern Ireland"?

It is part of the British Isles, but that's another story!

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE OLD WAYS OF FOOTBALL WHEN IT USED TO BE ABOUT WHO WAS THE BEST TEAM ON THE PITCH AND A PLAYER HAD HIS HEART SET ON THAT TEAM? NOW IT'S ALL ABOUT WHO'S GOT THE MOST MONEY AND NOT ANOUT THE SPORT AT ALL...

For God's sake, no-one tell him that Father Christmas doesn't exist. I don't think he could cope!

Guest alex1089

I cant stand atal all the foreigners in the ENGLISH game! It's discusting how ARSEnal and ARSEne winnger always buy the foreigners and never ENGLISH players in an ENGLISH league, he dosent care 1% abou the place he is at, they must put a ban or a limit, WINNGER is ruining our game along with other foreigners!

Archived