IGNORED

Hawkins Shines But Desperate Bids Pursued

Guest Far_East_Red

Guest Far_East_Red

Darren Hawkins should be called back immediately I think. To justify the expense of the academy this type of player should be given a chance when needs arise. To go trawling for Stoke City unproven reserves with desperate offers of sizeable cash sums doesn't make sense.

It seems Danny is going along the same path as when he bought in Fagan last season - a decision that probably contributed to the failure to get automatic promotion. A curious signing when Wilson publicly stated he was only searching for an established, experienced goal-scorer and a real kick in the teeth for our academy players. Aside from the small matter that he didn't score goals it must have knocked the confidence and spirit of the young academy players who would have been expecting an opportunity.

Hawkins had a great pre-season and has continued to score freely in competitive matches. I heard him in a post-match interview on Radio Bristol yesterday and he made the point that he is enjoying his spell with Bath because he is playing in matches that mean something. He obviously has a competitive instinct and a 'match temperament.'

He was asked repeatedly about whether he considered he was in Danny's plans and he sounded as if he didn't really know where he stood in that regard. He came across as a bit confused and disappointed on that issue. There seems to a bit of a concern in how Danny manages some of the budding academy players because Liam Rosenior referred to getting indications from DW that he wasn't wanted, Leroy Lita went unrewarded for a brilliant performance and now Hawkins says he is in the dark about whether he has a chance of featuring in the first team squad for the remainder of the season.

Danny should be in regular commmunication and encourage these promising youngsters whether they are at Ashton Gate or out on loan. Ideally he should have watched Hawkins yesterday although it was mentioned that some 'mystery' City representative was watching him.

Kevin Amankwah is unfortunately not an option on the right-wing, it may not be Christian Robert's best position and Wilkshire has excelled in the middle and disapointed out wide. So step forward Darren Hawkins your time has come. It just needs Danny Wilson to recognise that if we have players who shine in our academy then it makes sense to give them an opportunity when one arises.

We will only see if they can make if they are given a chance in a competive first team match. Of course Danny Wilson might argue that in the middle of a promotion campaign it isn't appropriate to experiment with promising youngsters when he needs proven campaigners.

That might make sense except for the fact that he the player he is trying to lure with wads of cash others is ... an unproven, light-weight youngster languishing in the reserves who may or may not come good. Spot the difference between that and our academy player? I can - Hawkins isn't so light-weight, scores more goals and doesn't cost 150k.

You make a fair point about Hawkins, we shall have to wait and see what Danny does with regards to that problem position.

However, before this turns into another thread for an easy pop at DW I think people should look at some simple facts.

ie the average age of our current first team and squad and DW's insistence on buying two very young players with great potential in the Summer, showing that he does like younger players at AG.

He's managed to get rid of a lot of the journeyman rubbish that Pulis left him with.

In a couple of years time, whether or not DW is still manager I think BCFc will have a side capable of being able to either walk this division or sustain themselves in Div One.

Agree with that totally, we could keep that 150000 pounds and put it back into the academy by giving our youngsters a fair chance when the opportunity arises, we will be without Roberts, Wilkshire Amankwaah and possibly Tinnion against County next week so this would be a great time to show the likes of Hawkins that he is wanted by the club and we are willing to give him a chance, County are so bad that even if we end up carrying him throughout the game, we should have 10 other senior players that can win it for us. After all we keep getting told we have one of the best squads in this division, so we should be using it properly.

I didn't hear the interview but I rate Hawkins highly and would think the current crisis did offer the chance of at least putting him on the bench. Yes he does have a competetive streak (the downside of which saw him sent off on New Years Day). What should be made clear is that DH is not a speed-merchant style winger/forward which Goodfellow apparently is, so direct comparissons may not be appropriate. Interesting to see what the next week brings.

I understand that he scored a few in that one friendly, and that he is rated by a club 4 divisions lower, but not to take anything away, just adding alternate arguement, haven't some of his goals over there been from the penalty spot as well? I obviously would have no objections to him getting a run out but didn't want any important facts excluded:)

Guest redcard
I understand that he scored a few in that one friendly, and that he is rated by a club 4 divisions lower, but not to take anything away, just adding alternate arguement, haven't some of his goals over there been from the penalty spot as well? I obviously would have no objections to him getting a run out but didn't want any important facts excluded:)

Every reserve team write up I read last year Hawkins had a mention, whether it was scoring or creating. The lad is 19 now, got to give him a go sometime.

I just hate the thought of good young players not gettinga chance and slipping through our fingers 'cause they won't wait forever. If Danny does decide to play him lets hope he plays him in his natutal positon unlike Rosenior and Clist!!

Guest BCFC Matt

I know it could be a big step up from non-league footie with Bath, but surely he needs to be given a shot at the first team at some point, if he does'nt start - at least give him a good 25 mins from the sub and build on that for future appearances.

Archived