IGNORED

Drink Up Thee Cider

Guest Cider Red Sam

Guest Cider Red Sam

Just watched Yeovil - Liverpool, and I noticed hearing Drink up thee Cider being sung! Surely this is our song, its been sang at the Gate for as long as I can remember and the Wurzels are (or claim to be :P ) City fans!

I have a sneeky suspision that this may be due to a number of City fans who took the opportunity to go and watch, and then decided to start a chant. This would therefore still make it our song, as I'm sure only the small number of Bristol City fans joined in :wacko: .

Now I think of it, I don't think the chant was even sung through to the end! So it is still officailly our chant anyway and no other teams are allowed to sing it (I've decided :P )

it is still officailly our chant anyway and no other teams are allowed to sing it (I've decided  :P )

YEP to right it is our song, it goes back to when adge cutler

wrote it and city fans sing it as adge was a big city fan, although the current wurzels did one for the bristol city it was

adge cutler who gave the song to city as a fan and it was and always will be a bristol city song , as for yeovil stuff them and the same to plymouth who have tried

to steal the song, we don't share it like liverpool and celtic with you'll never walk alone....

Guest city slicker 71

Virtual et Industrial all the way my friend, and since when has bleedin Yeovil been a sub-District of our fair city? Evil Post hacks and those City departed for the day take note CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

Regards Cowshedder

Guest Harry May

But in yesterdays WDP , the guy from the Wurzils ( who has his own column ) wished Yeovil , the g*s and the City would all get promoted. Nothing like a bit of "fence sitting " is there ?

I think the Wurzels have done pretty well out of City.

Caldicot Red.

Guest BCFC Matt

To be honest, i dont give a $hit about any other club than city and "Drink Up Thy Cider" is OUR song and it is annoying to hear other teams trying to take it! :wacko:

Drink Up Thy Cider = City song and always will be!!! :blink:

Guest Cider_Army

They played the liquidator when yeovil came out and they were doing what we do ie the the the the the CITY bit and were singing the fight fight song! Think they are so big huh!

Guest eviltaxman

Drink Up Thy Cider is as much Yeovils as football is at the Mem....... NOT!

Adge Cutler was a true City fan and as mentioned above, played AG several times I believe.

On a slightly seperate issue, but still with The Wurzels...... isn't one of 'em Scottish? he should be singing "drink up ye wee dram".

Drink Up Thy Zider

(Adge Cutler)

Click for words! This song that started it all - written by Adge and in his words "the National Anthem of North Zummerzet". It was also Adge Cutler's (as opposed to the Wurzels) greatest hit, being a huge regional hit in the West Country and even reaching no. 45 in the British singles charts in February 1967, receiving much airplay on the BBC. A hymn of praise to Zummerzet's greatest product, the song has become a standard among scrumpy lovers and is still sung wherever two or more cider drinkers are gathered together. For the words, see left.

As an example for those who haven't heard it, the second verse goes:

Drink Up Thy Cider George, thee bissn't goin' far

Drink Up Thy Zider George, thee's gettin' quite a star

There's dung oe'r all thy taters

An' 'alfway up thy gaiters

An' there's still more zider in the jar

The original recording of the song was recorded as part of the legendary session at the Royal Oak, Nailsea, on 2nd November 1966, from which Adge Cutler & The Wurzels' first album was taken. This was the one issued as a single, which got into the UK charts. A second version was made by Adge & the lads on the Carry On Cutler! album - this is the cut on the CD. An even later recording was made by the Wurzels in 1975. The song was adopted as a theme song by Bristol City FC fans. For further information about City, see Mick Hunter's Red-Un Bristol City site. Mick tells me the fans still sing Drink Up Thy Zider after a home win.

Taken from The Wurzels website. Only one football team mentioned here. :wacko:

Guest Cider_Army

Tommy banner the lead singer is scottish I believe.

Maybe we should boo the wurzles if they play again at the gate though they did record one for the bristol city

I would agree that 'Cider' has been adopted by City fans as a City chant, but that doesn't give them exclusive rights to the song.

Cutler did not write it specifically for Bristol City. In fact, the song is about cider drinkers and country life in Somerset.

As such, with Yeovil being in Somerset, Yeovil has as much right to the song as we do, more perhaps, since BCFC is not even located in Somerset!

I would agree that 'Cider' has been adopted by City fans as a City chant, but that doesn't give them exclusive rights to the song.

Cutler did not write it specifically for Bristol City.  In fact, the song is about cider drinkers and country life in Somerset. 

As such, with Yeovil being in Somerset, Yeovil has as much right to the song as we do, more perhaps, since BCFC is not even located in Somerset!

That's like saying "Goodnight Irene" is a song celebrating scrubbers and whores all over the land, but don't hear anyone else using it...how suprising! :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.:

Cutler did not write it specifically for Bristol City.  In fact, the song is about cider drinkers and country life in Somerset. 

<br />

ah but many moons ago knowle was considered a part of somerset and

therefore bristol leaving the right for the song as adge cutler wanted as a city fan a city song about somerset life & cider to be honest adge wrote about many

things cider, places in the west country, somerset etc but he was a massive city fan and would be proud to hear city fans sing it today and i'm sure he'd turn in his grave to hear it sung on a yeovil terrace ok sung in a pub or played on a juke box in yeovil but when it comes to football he would be proud of us city fans singing it at ashton gate today and so on in the future... :wacko:

Guest cider gliders

We have ole Adge Cutlers records, an we still can`t find

one where they do mention Yeovil!

Why don`t that yeovil go an write a ruddy helicopter

song! Cos that`s ole they be famous for down thur! Hic!

We have ole Adge Cutlers records, an we still can`t find

one where they do mention Yeovil!

Why don`t that yeovil go an write a ruddy helicopter

song! Cos that`s ole they be famous for down thur! Hic!

TRUE, NOW IT WAS TAUNTON they may have a shout cause the old taunton

blackthorne cider was some gear and may have inspired adge to write drink

up thy cider, but my guess he was on that green chedder stuff ughhhhh :wacko:

but yeaovil keep thy hands off our song...

Guest eviltaxman
In fact, the song is about cider drinkers and country life in Somerset. 

In the good old days, before Avon County reared it's ugly head, Somerset was deemed to be anywhere south of the river (Avon)... and seeing as AG is on the south side of the Gorge, that would make it Somerset.

I live in Stockwood, and down the road is an old black & white road sign with "SCC" - Somerset County Council - on it. Since Avon came & went I am now in Bristol & therefore pay higher rate of Council Tax, but that's another debate.

Gloucester Cricket ground isn't in Gloucester, but again, it was in Gloucestershire before Avon. (Horfield etc being north of the river).

In the good old days, before Avon County reared it's ugly head, Somerset was deemed to be anywhere south of the river (Avon)
Apart from the 'Avon' days when Bristol was stripped of its county status, it has been a City AND County in its own right since the 14th Century by Royal decree.

While Ashton may not have been within the City boundary until recent times, I would imagine that, for the duration of BCFC's home there, Ashton would have been classified as a suburb of the City of Bristol and consequently located in the County of Bristol.

Can anyone confirm when and if Ashton was ever part of Somerset?

Bedminster was a Town in its own right up until 1897, thus making Bedminster a Town in Somerset. In 1897 it became part of Bristol and rightly so because it prospeyed because of it connection with the City and County of Bristol.

That is why I hate to the very core of my body the surrounding areas of Bristols who population bleeds Bristol white and and prosber because of it and yet they contribute nothing in return.

Archived