IGNORED

New Stadium?

Br 1st ol

Let me preface this post by saying that I do not have a strong view, for or against moving to a new stadium....i hope to have a stronger view as a result of any contibutions that follow....

Most forum contributors seem strongly against the project but i have not heard the reasons why....

Those of you who are so strongly ANTI the new stadium, please can you reply to this message and expalin why we must not move

...my request is not confrontational, but i would really like to know the detailed reasons...please educate those of us that are in the middle ground!

What is so wrong with moving?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Ashton Gate is probably the most reconised part of Bristol City football club, it is the home of the football club and no one has really stated how a new stadium of 30,000 will be any better than a enlarged gate!

To me Severnside screams traffic chaos, especially on a christmas - Can anyone really belive a proposed improvment to a less than near by station and a few new roads will leviate the problem?

For me a football club has always been part of a community, in Citys case a wider one in South Bristol. Why now do those in power wish to move from somewhere that has given the club supporters that have followed for over 100 years?

A new stadium just seems pointless

not against a stadium if the following points were met

1.no share with the gas

2.we owned it and not rented

3.it was in bristol not south glous

at this time we own ashton gate plus we can't fill it, i'm all for

a new stadium but we need to have a consistant place in div.1

before all this stadium stuff comes to light...

Guest cider gliders
not against a stadium if the following points were met

1.no share with the gas

2.we owned it and not rented

3.it was in bristol not south glous

at this time we own ashton gate plus we can't fill it, i'm all for

a new stadium but we need to have a consistant place in div.1

before all this stadium stuff comes to light...

Ditto Cider Head! Can`t really add to anything

you have said thur! :P

Traffic problems - Location of proposed ground

Possibility of flooding - again location

Size of the stadium - would you prefer playing in front of 10,000 supporters in a 21,000 capacity Ashton Gate, or 10,000 supporters in a 30,000 capacity stadium?

Atmosphere - linked with the above. People moan like hell as it that the atmosphere is sometimes lacking, what it be like in a bigger stadium then?

Supporters - Yes fair enough there is a load of support on the otherside of the City that would find it easier to get to Severnside, but what about the existing fanbase? A lot of the support for the club will come from this side of Bristol - Hartcliffe, Stockwood, Ashton, Knowle - I would say are more known as areas with City supporters residing in, compared to those with Rovers supporters.

Why should we move to South Gloucestershire!?

The best stadium I have been to in recent years is Brentford's.

No, seriously.

Apart from the terracing, it is also bang in the middle of the community it serves. You walk down a shoddy road, turn the corner, and goddamnit, you're right in front of the stadium.

This is very important to me. Ashton Gate serves the people of South Bristol, it is in the right place. Moving to Severnside would rip the heart out of the club. People will think that if you can go to one soulless out-of-town venue why not go to another? Say Cribbs Causeway or The Galleries or whereever.

AG does need improvement. The capacity is poor for a lower Div 1 team :D The catering facilities are abysmal (though they perfectly reflect the catering). All of these issues can be addressed by some redevelopment of AG.

Just how much do we have of a choice on this here new stadium, and how long will this drag on for. Sorry for asking but I live in the wastelands of Bucks.

will the Govt stopping the NIMBY type opposition make the stadium more likely. If its up by Cripps Causeway, count me out, its Rovers country, and will be a bitch to get to, Early or Late season games, especially from the East, its already bad enough then.

Is there a site what you can see what its all about somewhere?

Stay at the (Developed)Gate. It is after all in Bristol CITY, not the badlands at the edge.

Guest dronkula

And, what's this I now see on the BCFC homepage?

"Colin Sexton says City will invest no more money in the Severnside Stadium Project".

Hopefully, that'll be the end of it from our point of view and they'll dig out the plans to redevelop Ashton Gate again (once we've finally got promotion to Div 1).

I'm not against the idea of it, but just not now. If we established ourselves in the 1st division in the next few years, then I believe it would be a must in order to push for the premiership. But what's the point of getting a 30,000 seater stadium when we can only fill a third of it each week?

I live in Oxford and I saw exactally the same thing happen to Oxford Utd: they were an average 1st division team, and when they had to get an all seater stadium all the money went into the stadium and none into the team, and they were relegated 2 times in the next 3 years.

At the moment it would be more beneficial to redevelop Ashton Gate.

Archived