IGNORED

Wigan Crowd Last Night

Port Said Red

What would the talk have been on this forum like yesterday if just over 8000 had turned up last night. Perhaps we should be thanking our lucky stars that 17404 bothered to turn up, rather than moaning that they didn't sing when they did. :Confused13:

Wigan couldn't muster a gate in double figures to play Middlesborough! What a waste of a stadium, perhaps we could offer to swap them brick for brick!

I know they are the second sport in the town but wonder if things will improve for them if continue their league run and get in the prem?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

There's already too many "big" clubs round that way, they can't just muscle in and get the support.

In a way it's good to see, a club that were nothing get somewhere because of money - And hopefully they'll lose that money and become nothing again.

I thought the Wigan money issue was exagerated?

Jewell was reported as saying his net spend was less than one million becasuse he'd sold some players too. So if this is true, there success per pound spent is much better than City's...

It's not just about what you pay for players though, it's the wages as well.

I worked with the girlfriend of a reasonably well known goalkeeper who was approached at the time of Roy Carrol leaving and she said that they were "talking silly money" even in the 2nd division.

Unfortunately for them it didn't get followed through, but she said no-one in their right mind would turn them down!

If our attendance figures quadrupled over the period of three years I'm sure we'd all be reasonablly happy  :(

On a regular basis, agreed Tom.

But surely, top of the first, playing apotentially beatable prem side with well known faces, in a cup competition they might not take seriously, I still think that 8000 has to be disappointing for them.

Wigan are where they are because of two people and the most important one is 70!

Dave Whelan owner of JJB Sports has given the twon a magnificent stadium and bankrolls Wigan FC to the extent where they can afford to pay £3m for Ellington & Horsfield.

The others Paul Jewell who, it has to be said, has spent wisely and built a good side.

Wigan get 20/25,000 crowds for Rugby League.

Bristol is said to be a Rugby City...that's pants, The City have always been the Premier Club with the biggest gates.

If we were in Wigans position, Tuesdays crowd would be a formality and I've been in the East End when we had 38,700.Now, that was a night!

being a northerner for 20 years and watching soccer, union and league games all over the north west I can assure you that Wigan no longer get anywhere near 20k for league games mid teens for St Helens, Leeds, Bradford, Warrington but on a day to day basis the soccer team is beginning slowly to rival the league side in attendance figures.

Additionally, Wigan is about the size of Bath and maybe a tad smaller and a Borough of Greater Manchester with the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Everton, Liverpool, Man City and the scum within 25 miles. Ever wondered why the massive urban sprawl of Warrington does not have a football League club? Nobody would bother to watch them as the majority of residents already upport one or other of the Liverpool or Manchester teams.

All in all Whelan and Jewell have done an excellent job, I just wish DW would not try to emulate their style of play, we have not got the squad to do it.

A far better example would be Dario's Crewe Alexander, now that is how a club should be run, unfortunately DW does not have the footballing brain of the revered man.

Guest Harry May

Crewe is an excellent example of why we must have an Academy. I can not remember the last time time they spent any serious lucre on a player. They prefer to develope their players through a very well set up academy.

They have a head start on us , but we are getting there.

Archived