IGNORED

Wilson - Putting His Job On The Line

PhatWill

Goodfellow, yet another young signing who is relatively unproven but with undoubted potential at this level.

Wilkshire and Miller, again a couple of youngsters who have great potential.

While I'm delighted that DW is investing in the future of this club, the fact is that those three signings I've mentioned may not fulfill their potential at BCFC for another 2/3 years.

Now, if DW fails to get us up this season there will be some serious questions asked of him and I would infact be a bit surprised if he kept his job.

I just am slightly miffed as to why he hasn't gone for older, more expereinced, PROVEN players who can get us out of this division.

Fair play to the bloke, its gotta be a risk on his part. He must have balls the size of melons.

Great post, and I can't believe someone had the guts to say that, because there'll probably be a string of posts now saying how we should get off Danny's back and stop being so pesimistic etc.

I think it is a bit of a gamble, but I think if I was him I would be doing the same. He must know that if we don't go up this year or the next he will not have a job here anymore, and so there's no point in just sitting around to see what happens, he needs to go full out and hope that it works, and if it doesn't and we're still in div 2 in two years and he's not here it's someone else's problem.

Let's hope it goes alright, and good luck to Goodfellow!

Is Steve Lansdown a fool with his money?

I'm not sure what is going on here. Is Goodfellow one for the future or is this a gamble to get us up?

I like the idea of getting young players in as opposed to older players who might be a stop-gap. But you have to have the confidence that players you bring in are better than we've already got.

Maybe Goodfellow is one for the future therefore Peacock, Matthews, Brown and co will be out of here in the summer?

I love this club, but I'm really confused at what's going on at the moment :D

With regards to the "proven players cost more" arguement...is that true?

I thought that generally younger players cost more as you get more years out of them playing and the likelyhood they will improve?

ie we could of gone with Ainsworth/Thorpe type freebies in the summer but instaed splashed the cash on Miller and Wilkshire...

Your're forgetting salaries and signing on fees.Established players will demand more of both.Whereas unproven youngsters don't have anything like the same bargaining power.

Its swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.Pay more for a proven player and you'll get maybe 2 or 3 seasons with the natural decline as each season goes by.They then retire or end up in the reserves before leaving without a fee.

With a youngster - theres always a chance that you'll get 8 or 10 seasons if they stay or if not, always the chance of a transfer fee if they make it and attract a bigger club - like Bob Taylor,Cole,Brennan,Barnard,Akinbiyi,Goater and Murray.All players at City relatively young and sold at a profit after they'd done the buisness for City.

I can see the arguments for young players.

However, saying the club cannot afford more experienced players seems a bit far-fetched when we have spent what must be 3/4 million this year on 3 players with "potential".

That same money would have easily have bought (and covered salaries) for a couple of players coming towards the end of their careers and may have given us our best chance of promotion now; not a couple of seasons down the line.

Another important point is "potential". Marvin Brown 6/7 years ago was being touted as a future premiership and international star. Now we talk about him probably being released at the end of his current contract.

Who can put their hand on their heart and say that Luke Wilkshire, Lee Miller and Goodfellow will ever be able to perform at a higher level that they are currently producing?

As Phatwill said in the first post; yet another signing with potential is a big risk.

Who's he going to replace in the team? Christian Roberts is the most likely candidate. A player who most fans have already agreed is improving steadily month on month. This is going to help his potential isn't it?! :D

I personally think both Miller and Wilkshire will improve lots more.

they have both made an impact (despite the moaners view!!)

Miller holds the ball up well and his footwork for such a lanky one is brilliant. he has improved no end since starting THIS SEASON and is very young.

Wilkshire started poorly, and probably didn't expect the pace of the game and general lack of skill at this level, but he's settled in well and will serve us as a potential replacement for Tinman in time (if he stays) he distributes the ball which is something we didn't have in abundance! when Tinman was out we were often bankrupt for ideas. he's started tackling and chasing and all in all is looking good.

I was told by a stokie that Goodfellow has been played on the right (true or not, I don't know) but reports speak highly of him, lets hope the whiners don't climb straight onto his back when he doesn't do the Walshy shuffle or the Dave Smith whizz, lets give him a chance (if he signs!!!!)

Wilkshire started poorly, and probably didn't expect the pace of the game and general lack of skill at this level, but he's settled in well and will serve us as a potential replacement for Tinman in time (if he stays) he distributes the ball which is something we didn't have in abundance! when Tinman was out we were often bankrupt for ideas. he's started tackling and chasing and all in all is looking good.

Wilkshire has 8 goal assists to his credit this season which, along with Ferguson (Wrexham) is the highest in Div 2 to date.

Guest Bootylicious

A definate gamble from DW.

He has been lucky in that the board are prepared to give him yet more money for a player who plays in the position (RM?) which, DW thought, he had brought cover for in Luke Wilkshire.

As it turns out, we have got ourselves a fine creative midfielder in LW AND a right winger in Goodfellow.

I hope, for DW's sake, that MG turns out to be a good 'un.

Otherwise, as you say, DW could lose his job.

Goodfellow, yet another young signing who is relatively unproven but with undoubted potential at this level.

Wilkshire and Miller, again a couple of youngsters who have great potential.

While I'm delighted that DW is investing in the future of this club, the fact is that those three signings I've mentioned may not fulfill their potential at BCFC for another 2/3 years.

Now, if DW fails to get us up this season there will be some serious questions asked of him and I would infact be a bit surprised if he kept his job.

I just am slightly miffed as to why he hasn't gone for older, more expereinced, PROVEN players who can get us out of this division.

Fair play to the bloke, its gotta be a risk on his part. He must have balls the size of melons.

Interesting post & one that opens up a number of questions.

Buying the likes of LW,LM & hopefully MG must have some of the current squad ask questions & more importantly put questions over how some positions are just not being covered in the Academy.

I tend to agree here that while all very well in bringing in the potential & unproven younger players, you need a good mix in the squad as we attempt to get out of this damn division.

OK I understand we have had our fingers burnt regarding 'old pros' wanting supid money in the later days of their careers, but times have changed & players don't demand such stupid terms now.

Lets hope upon hope that if we do get MG that he has the formula that we need NOW not in the coming season!

they have both made an impact (despite the moaners view!!)

I presume the moaners are people who dare to have an opinion that doesn't exactly match yours.

As for Miller and Wilkshire; I haven't seen anybody denying they have contributed well and i'm sure Goodfellow will fall into the same category.

My point (in case you missed it) was that the club could have bought proven players for the money they have spent on 3 young players this season. This extra bit of experience/class in the right positions may have turned at least a couple of the draws into wins.

I personally think we have a side that will win automatic promotion. However, more likely in 2004/05 than 2003/04. I maintain (since I have for about 4 months that are only chance of promotion this season will be via the play-offs).

If that puts me in to your category of a moaner then I consider that a bonus.

As for Miller and Wilkshire; I haven't seen anybody denying they have contributed well and i'm sure Goodfellow will fall into the same category.

Sorry Neo, but I don't think you have been looking hard enough there are still snipers on here. Certainly the were in evidence more before Xmas but they are still waiting in the wings.. :D

I presume the moaners are people who dare to have an opinion that doesn't exactly match yours.

My point (in case you missed it) was that the club could have bought proven players for the money they have spent on 3 young players this season.  This extra bit of experience/class in the right positions may have turned at least a couple of the draws into wins.

I personally think we have a side that will win automatic promotion.  However, more likely in 2004/05 than 2003/04.  I maintain (since I have for about 4 months that are only chance of promotion this season will be via the play-offs).

Neo, tend to agree here on this matter.

Have no problem with LW & LM. In fact LW, I think now he has switched to his true position is a proving more of a short term gain.

Biggest problem is the loss of SM & the non replacement.

If we had stuck to the same team, brought in Robins we would have walked this ###### league.

Sorry Neo, but I don't think you have been looking hard enough there are still snipers on here. Certainly the were in evidence more before Xmas but they are still waiting in the wings.. :D
I'm not denying that snipers are around and surface at appropriate times.

However, I was presuming (maybe wrongly) that the posters comments I was replying to were specifically references to comments made on this thread such as :-

That same money would have easily have bought (and covered salaries) for a couple of players coming towards the end of their careers and may have given us our best chance of promotion now; not a couple of seasons down the line.

My point (in case you missed it) was that the club could have bought proven players for the money they have spent on 3 young players this season.  This extra bit of experience/class in the right positions may have turned at least a couple of the draws into wins.

I personally think we have a side that will win automatic promotion.  However, more likely in 2004/05 than 2003/04.  I maintain (since I have for about 4 months that are only chance of promotion this season will be via the play-offs).

[i presume the moaners are people who dare to have an opinion that doesn't exactly match yours.]

Oh give it a rest!

The 'moaners' are those tedious, whingers and whiners who wouldn't know a good time if it bit them on the aspidistra.

There are too many gloom mongers at Ashton Gate, and whilst life in Division 2 doesn't inspire great delight all the time, I personally would support the Reds from the depths of the Dr martins and with the same passion.

If you compare our current situation to the Osman era or the Pulis era or the Smith era, (Christ! that many) we actually have some good YOUNG players and the club is endevouring to maintain a financial balance that ensures longevity in an industry which is soooo precariously(and generally badly) managed.

I can't fault them for that.

I'd love week in, week out wins, flowing dramatic football packed crowds and decent pies, but then I'd like Meg Ryan to make my breakfast too!

and by the way i 'got' your point, but having seen years and years of useless journeymen come and go, bleeding the club dry, I prefer young talent that grows and develops and accrues value.

It makes me snigger that you're proud to be a moaner.

Down with miserabilism! :D

I'll second that Meg Ryan making my breakfast and serving it in bed would certainly be very welcome.

To the thread- I don't think that following the instructions of your bosses represents putting your job on the line. It is clear that the board have decided that investing in young talent is the way forward - hence the academy and hence the purchase of players with potential- a signing on loan of an experienced player might be sanctioned but spending £100's of thousands on such a player is probably not part of the strategy.

I for one think this is the right way forward as when we get up - and we will - we will have a young team capable of making further progress.

Firstly, I am of the opinion that Meg Ryan is a funny looking self-important cow and there is no way I'd let her in my house let alone making my breakfast. I doubt she even knows how to cook.

Megansdad - I agree that DW is following a club policy of youth which is another reason why I suspect he could be manager at this club for a few more years yet...Good point to answer my question though.

Archived