IGNORED

Huge Blow To English Football

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

It seems Gordon Strachan is walking away from the game at the end of the season due to personal and health reasons.

Clearly this is the biggest loss to the English game since Matt Le Tissier ened his playing days and Gordons interviews will be missed greatly.

I wonder what the chances of Wilson going to saints are? I think if their current sqaud stays the same it would be the dream side for him, as they are very much like the side he is trying to build at City.

Guest redrobin108

Could'nt agree more his post match interviews are brillant.

Don't think Wilson is good enough for the saints, I expect to see Peter Reid in charge of the saints next season.

Guest pogue mahone

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strachan to quit Saints

Press Association

Friday January 9, 2004

Southampton manager Gordon Strachan will quit as manager of Southampton at the end of the season for "medical and other personal reasons".

A statement on the club's website, www.saintsfc.co.uk, confirmed that Strachan would step down as manager at the end of the campaign when his current deal expires because he needed "a break from the demands and pressures associated with being a Premier League football manager."

Strachan guided Saints to the FA Cup final last season, where they lost to Arsenal, and that secured a place in this season's Uefa Cup.

The club has struggled to recapture that form this season, with rumours circulating in recent months of a rift between Strachan and his chairman Rupert Lowe.

The statement added: "In keeping with our philosophy of open and transparent management of our club, it is with some sadness that Southampton Football Club announces that Gordon Strachan has decided not to extend his contract with us beyond the end of this season.

"A new contract has been under discussion for some time now but Gordon has decided that, for medical and other personal reasons, he needs a break from the demands and pressures that are associated with being a Premier League football manager.

"The decision was Gordon's and press speculation over the relationship between him and chairman Rupert Lowe, contract length, remuneration and transfer funding are completely unfounded and have no bearing on a decision made for purely personal reasons. Gordon has indicated that he will continue to live in the Southampton area."

Lowe himself added: "Gordon and I have fully discussed the situation and are comfortable with his decision. Despite the fact that we may appear an unlikely partnership, I have very much enjoyed working with Gordon over the past two and a half years.

"His enthusiasm and commitment have inspired everybody and the club has moved forward during a crucial period after leaving The Dell and moving to the Friends Provident St Mary's Stadium.

"Gordon has assured me that he will give 110% for the balance of this season in order to capitalise on our current position in the league. Our fans will be sad to see a man, whose passion matched theirs, taking time out of the game.

"I sincerely hope that everyone associated with the club will give Gordon and the team their full support for the balance of the season."

Guest cider gliders
I expect to see Peter Reid in charge of the saints next season.

That do mean we`ll be playin` the Saints on

a regular basis soon then!! Ha-Ha! :wacko:

It will be George Graham for Saints, and its a damn shame wee Gordon is stacking, always had his heart on his sleeve, even if he baffled the hell out of us on the post match interviews.

no such luck with DW leaving, I fear..

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Who knows maybe after a gap of a year or two we may see him at the gate? I'm not a great fan of his style of football but would never say that to his face!

Guest pogue mahone

Wasn't this what Joe Kinnear came out with when he left Oxford... only to show up at Luton a few days later?

And if Strachan is going to live in the Southampton area - that means he can commute to north London doesn't it?

Though it rules out Leeds, presumably.

Guest pogue mahone

with all due respect CR, it was only Pleat who showed incompetence in that situation, he has shown what an odious ###### he is by the way he has insulted probably the only player who has distinguished himself in a Spurs shirt this season. Though if his absence plunges them into relegation mire at least some good will come of it.

It seems Gordon Strachan is walking away from the game at the end of the season due to personal and health reasons.

Clearly this is the biggest loss to the English game since Matt Le Tissier ened his playing days and Gordons interviews will be missed greatly.

Saints being my (long way) second team after City I get regular reports from an old mate who is a ST holder at St.Mary's, here's his take:

"... I can't sign off without a word about Gordon

Strachan who is not extending his current contract

with Saints. A lot of bolleaux will be written by

conspiracy theorists and bad journalists between now

and the end of the season but the bottom line is

Gordon is perfectly entitled to see his contract out,

then leave. It happens all the time in business but

in the circus that football has become, imbeciles will

always try to interpret signs that don't exist.

Furthermore, Strachan has been very good for this

club. He stabilised a side reeling from the

Hoddle/Gray era, enabled us to capitalise on the

investment in the new stadium and developed the

reserve and youth sides beyond all recognition. Add

to that a cup final, top half finishes and our first

European matches for two decades and the Wee Man

leaves an enormous legacy.

When the great Saints managers are discussed, Ted

Bates and Big Lawrie will always lead the way but

Gordon has earned a position at the shoulders of these

giants. Thank you Gordon. You were a fabulous player