IGNORED

Eastend

bs3

Hell knows. Why are you asking me?

I don't really care what its called. It's just a good place to sit. I'll be there against Chesterfield.

Bawno - did this question have YOUR name on it??NO i dont think so!

i wouldn't say i 'cared' about the name or whatever but still,i don't actually know why it is called the 'eastend' when it has rightly so been pointed out that it is in the south end of the stadium.

Its called curiosity Bawno. A know its a piece of useless information, but by being curios that is how we gain knowledge.

I see that you are only 14 Bawno, my gusse you were a kid when I read your message, what do that say about you?

Guest east_dundry_red

Its not at the south end of the ground its the east.

The williams is on the south side as the river runs through the middle of brizzle from the west (brizzle channel) which is where the ateyo is.

I was taking my info from the main site Edr.

But I think I stand corrected , when I read this on the main site this what got me thinkng about the name.

There is a lesson in this for me that is don't belive anything they tell you on BCFC site.

I know I'm sad but i just got my OS map and compass out and in fact the Eastend is the south end.

Edr may have solved the riddle that at first glance it does seem that it is in the east end of the ground.

You see Bawno by asking questions you can learn something every day.

Why is the Eastend called the Eastend when its in the south end of the ground and offically it was called the Covered End.

you are right in a way but the east end is in the south east

as a sky satellite dish has to point south/east now behind the dolman the

satellite dish for the red 'n' white bar faces the east end meaning

south/east so that is mainly how you can tell (other than using a compass)

to tell where the stand is...

most city fans in the past have always called it the east end

for unknown reasons other than thinking it is in the east :huh:

so in fact one side of the stand is south and the rest is south east

up in the dolman corner bit :angry:

http://www.retra.co.uk/digitaltv.htm

Guest december 1963

Interestingly (?), the East/South/Wedlock/Covered End was also called the Keating Burton End for a number of years after the two players we sold to pay for it

Interestingly (?), the East/South/Wedlock/Covered End was also called the Keating Burton End for a number of years after the two players we sold to pay for it
Yeah I remember my dad calling it that several times, and it always got a laugh in the crowd.

I think the reason it's called the East end is the misplaced assumption that if you are facing the Suspension bridge and therefore the river, you must be facing West. Rivers, and the Avon in particular rarely run in a straight line.

The reason for choosing East End has always been a mystery to me, but what is clear is that at some point (presumably in the 60's) City fans HAD to choose a name for their popular end.

Every club had to have an 'end' by which their mob would be known and territories had to be attacked and defended (Tote End, North Bank, Stretford End, The Shed etc.) They would have sounded pretty lame roaring 'You'll never take the Covered End' wouldn't they?

Guest lobster

Dunno - maybe Dave L should get the BBC to shoot a scene from Eastenders in the car park and give us some cash towards jazzing it up

Rivers, and the Avon in particular rarely run in a straight line.
I think that's particularly harsh on the River Avon. To the best of my knowledge there is no river that runs in a straight line, and it's just unfair to single the Avon out for that criticism.

I think that's particularly harsh on the River Avon.  To the best of my knowledge there is no river that runs in a straight line, and it's just unfair to single the Avon out for that criticism.
You're right Chiv's, I withdraw that remark as I don't want to be cast as "river ist". :huh::angry::angry: I was thinking of the Sienne at the time which runs pretty straight through Paris although that might because they directed it that way at some point, who knows.

Archived