IGNORED

Has There Ever Been Such Crucial Season?

richieb

As with robboreds post, there is no doubt that SL has set his sights on getting this club out of the footballing backwater.

We are paying catch-up, & the Board have given total support to DW in getting this club into Div1.

Has there ever been such a crucial season. Because if we don't make it this season then the cloth will be cut - dramatically.

Hold on tight - were on that ride to Div1. :huh:

Guest Mickey Bells left foot

even if we dont manage to get into the top two there is knowone that really worries me, maybe barnsley but we should beat them other the two legs if we get them in the semi's

With so many players out of contract this summer it really is a make or break season.I can see lots of players being let go if City don't make it up which means that Wilson would have to re-build from the bare bones of a squad.Landsdown more or less said in the EP today that the cloth will cut accordingly if we stay in this poxy division.

Of course if City get up then players will still be let go but only those that Wilson feels don't have what it takes to make it at a higher level.Less players means more money to spend on strengthening for a much tougher division.

I am yet to be convinced 100% about City's promotion credentials.We are too inconsistant for my liking and yet we are in third spot without having played well for a string of games thus far.At Notts County last Sat City were die for 75% of the game and yet came away with all three points.At R & Diamonds they were much better as team and dominated the game only to draw.Inconsistant.

We are almost there,and I agree with Landsdown about being stronger now than this time last season but City still lack that killer touch in front of goal and could really use a Shuan Goater or Tony Thorpe type to tap-in a few.I would see a goal poacher as being the last piece in the jig-saw and if City could sign such a player sooner rather than later I would be alot more confident about City's promotion chances.

We are almost there,and I agree with Landsdown about being stronger now than this time last season but City still lack that killer touch in front of goal and could really use a Shuan Goater or Tony Thorpe type to tap-in a few.I would see a goal poacher as being the last piece in the jig-saw and if City could sign such a player sooner rather than later I would be alot more confident about City's promotion chances.

Good points robbored & I totally agree about the striker bit.

Thats why to me Cureton would be the final bit in the jigsaw.

But I understand he wants to look at all options of 1st Div footy before he looks at what we have to offer.

Tend to think that the investment in Miller was a little premature for the needs of the team. Like the guy & he will adjust, but need experience to get us out of this div.

With so many players out of contract this summer it really is a make or break season.I can see lots of players being let go if City don't make it ..........

......City still lack that killer touch in front of goal and could really use a Shuan Goater or Tony Thorpe type to tap-in a few.I would see a goal poacher as being the last piece in the jig-saw ................

Couldn't agree more...........if we don't go up we will shed players, no choice, wage bill will need to be slashed again (don't forget we have been doing this for a couple of years already)

An experienced goal poacher is a must, someone to put the ball in the back of the net regularly and consistently. Must be someone with proven track record not another unproven youngster (as good as some of them are) I think comments about Peacock and Miller show we are lacking a little guile up front, something Robins gave us last year at this time.

So who is there out there other than Cureton?

Who should we be going for?? :huh::angry:

With so many players out of contract this summer it really is a make or break season.I can see lots of players being let go if City don't make it up which means that Wilson would have to re-build from the bare bones of a squad.
I would agree with that completely, apart from the suggestion that it will be Danny Wilson doing the re-building.

Failure to get promotion this season would, I believe, be Danny's last crack at it, which is another reason why this season is so crucial, because, for all my doubts about him, if he gets us up then the stability and continuity will remain, and that can only be a good thing.

• Admin
As with robboreds post, there is no doubt that SL has set his sights on getting this club out of the footballing backwater.

How long will he wait?

If we don't go up this season does he have the will (and money) to start all over again, with a new Manager ( Danny will surely have to go if we fail to go up) or is this the final push before jumping ship.

The addition of a proven, experienced goal scorer will surely be needed to continue this revival in form and I have concerns that Stowell could provide adequate cover should Phillips be unfortunate ebough to pick up a serious injury.

So far this season it hasn't had the 'feel' of a promotion season, but maybe if the next 7 games can produce 18 points and looking at the opposition, thats possible ( no, necessary if we are to be genuine promotion candidates) then the disappointing first half of the season may be long forgotten.

So far this season it hasn't had the 'feel' of a promotion season
... neither did the last successful one outside the ten week purple patch.

To my mind there's not a team in this division we should fear as much as they should fear us, particularly as we are actively strengthening the squad.

We're actively strengthening the squad - the board of directors haved declared their intent with hard cash. This is the 'easiest' Div 2 in years - surely we can go on to win the Championship as there really is no club we should fear in this poxy division.

The only make or break here is us going up and Danny staying, or us dropping a bollock from here on, missing promotion, and him going. Other than that, I think it's biz as usual.

Maybe we should fear no other clubs, but such fearless bravado doesn't explain why we are currently 10 points behind the mighty Plymouth Argyle FC.

A thought for all here:

All these players are out of contract at the end of the season. DW, and they know this-just how many are actually in his plans who are regular first teamers currently. If they are and aint in DW plans, they aint going to bust a gut are they? They will be free agents and go for one of the promoted moneybags clubs like Yeovil, Hull, Donny etc, rather than make any effort here. It will be up to the new signings, and kids to carry the club through, none of which have vast experience , bar Tinman, and thank God we have Sir Brian, to help, and carry us through most of it..

May explain a few of the less impressive performances. Like a load of others I am not convinced we will go up, something aint there. Last season I knew Wigan & Crewe would go up, but not City, and I feel that we still aint quite there for whatever reason. Highest spenders in Div 2, and we still aint there in an automatic slot. WE have to keep winning, and hope the two above lose at least a couple, which if you are honest, we should not be doing, and with their runs so far do you expect them to suddenly start losing? Maybe we can do it, but past track records suggest otherwise, and our "occasional" habit of bottling it tends to come to mind....

Perhaps pessimistic, but I reckon realistic..

It really is make or break .. for a lot of people.

Last year the board clearly felt that we had a squad of players

capable of taking us up, and didn't feel the need to strengthen.

This year the vibes are very different. Goodfellow in, and all sorts

of rumours flying around about possible future signings. I suspect

that the next few months will be crucial for the futures of a lot of

the Club's current employees, not least the manager.

Either way I can see quite a few personnel changes next season. If

we're still in the 2nd division, then that'll start with the

manager, as I think Wilson's position will surely be untenable if we

don't get promoted. We might also see some of our better young

prospects moving on to find a higher standard of football, and some

of the older and more expensive ones (Bell, Butler, Peacock) shipped

out to cut costs.

But if we do go up then there'll also have to be changes, as although the nucleus of the team is sound, we would need to bring in new players to be competitive in the first division. Without judicious strengthening in two or three key positions, this current squad would struggle in Division One. But let's get there first, and worry about that then!

Guest Red Sinjen

What ultimately worries me is that if we can not get out this division in its current state, then how on earth will we get out with a reduced squad in terms of quantity and quality? Unless we employ a manger that can make better use out the facilities at his disposal then the current manager has thus far achieved. I am not too worried about the squad if we do reach Div 1 due to the players being that little bit more experienced and also being allowed to play more of a passing game. Maybe one or two quality additions who have experienced Div 1 may help.

Archived