IGNORED

Transfer Rumour

Guest ossie

It seems that west ham have watched steve phillips more than half a dozen times over the past few months .Perhaps it would please lots of you if he were to leave,

becuse it seems that many of you continue to slag not only him off as a goal keeper but also as a person .In my opinion he is as good as any in the division.As for attacking his personality ,none of you know him well enough to make judgments just based on how he sometimes looks at the crowd.

Perhaps you all should ask the old lady he found outside the ground last year on the road with a broken arm if he needs to grow up after spending all afternoon in hospital with her .Its time to support our players ,not moan all the time,I hope none of our key players leave ,especially one as important as phillips.

As soon as I heard that David Seaman was retiring and James going to replace him I thought that a move for Phillips might be on the cards, sort of a domino effect I suppose. West Ham were looking at him last season weren't they?

It has been my concern for a while that we lack cover for Phillips, not only for injuries but for situations like this. I know we have Stowell but he is not a long term solution. We had Coupe but he went off travelling the world. Do we have another? Did we recently get a trialist?

With all these rumours regarding Luton maybe we are looking at a cheap keeper, who ever he is ?!!!

On a negative note a West Ham mate of mine told me about the Hammers looking at Phillips some months ago.

On a positive note they he tells me they are in for Andy Marshall at Ipswich. They r desperate for a keeper as the David James transfer was fairly out of the blue.

Guest BCFC Matt
It seems that west ham have watched steve phillips more than half a dozen times over the past few months .Perhaps it would please lots of you if he were to leave,

becuse it seems that many of you continue to slag not only him off as a goal keeper but also as a person .In my opinion he is as good as any in the division.As for attacking his personality ,none of you know him well enough to make judgments just based on how he sometimes looks at the crowd.

Perhaps you all should ask the old lady he found outside the ground last year on the road with a broken arm if he needs to grow up after spending all afternoon in hospital with her .Its time to support our players ,not moan all the time,I hope none of our key players leave ,especially one as important as phillips.

I completely agree ossie.

Well said, old chap.

I've spoken to SP on two or three occasions and found him to be a very nice chap.

However, in this day and age, every player has his price (Just ask Fulham) and if West Ham were to offer, say, £1-2m, I'd snap their arm off.

There are loads of good young keepers that we could pick up for around £1-200k and, like it or not, if we go up we'll need some serious money to strengthen the team and it won't just come from the £6/700k extra we get from Sky and a probable £1-1.5m from Season Ticket Sales.

I can't understand why people want to get rid of Phillips, look at last saturday when he made that brilliant save when the score was 1-1. If that had gone in we probably would have lost but it was an important save at n important time in the game. Thats not the only one he has made which is important before anyone starts saying, he is constantly making vital saves and saving the skins of our defenders.

Guest BTR_FTG

Ha Ha Ha ! If Pardew's already made it know that Bywater isn't good enough why the hell would he sign a keeper who's scared to come off his line & who inspires nothing but terror in his back four.

I reckon The Hammers will nick Craig Gordon by mking The Tarts an offer they can't refuse, otherwise known as £ 100K.

BTR

FTG

Do we have another? Did we recently get a trialist?

Yes, Scott Brown. He played in the Man Utd reserve game at Ashton Gate before Christmas, was quite impressed with him as well.

I think that he has been signed on until the end of the year, although I may be wrong.

No, dont sell philips!

I thought when mercer left that was it, but i really rate philips, especially some of the saves he pulled off against cardiff last season...

I reckon he is the best keeper in our divison and it would be criminal to let him leave now...

Unlesss....... we get a large sum of money i suppose and Danny does have a replacement in mind - however with his judgement on Wilkshire replacing Murray, i would be worried that he wasnt after Cureton to go in goal....!

I dont want phillips to go because he is a very good keeper and could easily play at div one level. Although we could get some more players with the money to help us push for promotion , and that scott brown weve got looked pretty good in the man u game and made some good saves.

I think the 1st post might have been a dig at me I did say after playing cricket against Phillips a few times he should grew up. Well I speak as I find. But credit where credits due, when I he found that old lady with a broken arm and did not say he was a bad person obviously the lads got a big heart for doing what he has done.

I still stand by what I said about Phillips in other posts I have made.

Cricket is a very family game a lot of wives,kids and past players turn up and watch, its a game which every one tries to play in the right spirite and a few times he had not done himself or BCFC any credit.

Before anyone replies to tell me he was not playing football at the time, you our wrong he his a BCFC 24/7.

Sad if he goes, why would you wanna get rid of one of our best, and most experienced players??

True he may need competition for the shirt, but he's one of the best in the Division, and at least he cares one way or other- would be bad for us if he left, unlike Peacock...

Having said that money, and Div 1 talks, and the slagging some give him may make his mind up for him...

Guest redrobin108

A good goalkeeper out of a job at present is Mark Bosnich.

Very good keeper, lets forget about his drug problems, Paul Merson can back just as good and there have been many more.

Wages could be a problem, but if its a route back into football who knows.

Well said, old chap.

I've spoken to SP on two or three occasions and found him to be a very nice chap.

However, in this day and age, every player has his price (Just ask Fulham) and if West Ham were to offer, say, £1-2m, I'd snap their arm off.

There are loads of good young keepers that we could pick up for around £1-200k and, like it or not, if we go up we'll need some serious money to strengthen the team and it won't just come from the £6/700k extra we get from Sky and a probable £1-1.5m from Season Ticket Sales.

1-2 million, ha, ha get real mate!

James only went for something like 2 and he is supposed to be Englands number one!

!00, 000 is more realistic

Phillips would be the perfect replacement for the clown James IMHO

1-2 million...yeah right, Oh I get it you mean lira!

Adios Flapper (fingers crossed)

Grow up

Just look at your post,

all negativity even down to the the sad graphics.

Those that think Phillips is poor need to wake up and wash the clearasil out of their eyes.

He is a tremendous shot stopper and has improved season on season.

whatever his off-field character is like is up to HIM.

shall we question alll the posters on here as to their behaviour?

sometimes I just wish you moaning gits would collectively fall under a giant bus. :D

Phillips would be the perfect replacement for the clown James IMHO

1-2 million...yeah right, Oh I get it you mean lira!

Adios Flapper (fingers crossed)

Have they let you out of your creche again?

You're about as funny as leprosy openEnd, and your posts have the substance and application of Bristol Rovers' first team.

The sooner you get back to putting some meaning in your posts the better.

Steve Philips, again, by all accounts is a nice guy. As a shot-stopper he is an undoubted class act. Realistically though, and get this, a goalkeeper at this level is not going to be as good as Paul Robinson okay? Yes, he is sometimes suspect at taking crosses and his stance on free-kicks needs looking at.

But you'd still say he was probably one of the best goalkeepers in this divsion from the 13-14 I've seen this season.

I guess it boils down to whether or not you want promotion for BCFC by supporting the players or whether you are a miserable, boring, old git who needs something to whine about in their life.

It seems Phillips may not be moving after all. West Ham are set to sign Brentfords 'keeper , Paul Smith. Smith had agreed a fee with Southampton (£250,000) and Portsmouth were interested too.

West Ham have the England under 21 goalie Steve Bywater too.

All info fromtodays Daily Mail

Guest BTR_FTG

Personally couldn't give a flying what Philips gets up to at leg slip or how many old ladies he's helped (then again I'm from the generation where one would be expected to help a fellow citizen in distress).

As many here have pointed out the enigmatic Philips is a truly great 'shot stopper', probably as good a 'one on one' custodian as you'll see in the Nationwide. Unfortunately this does not disguise the fact that 'shot stopping' is the ONLY facet to his game. Philips' positioning & command of his area is woeful. His horizontal vertigo borders on the clinically debilitating. His influence & relationship with the defence is beyond repair. His kicking & distribution is farcical to the point of ridicule. He is, as fans of all persuasions are wont to point out, a 'dodgy keeper'. That's not being disloyal, or negative, or malevolent. That's fact.

City, with the notable exception of Moller, have employed dodgy keepers these past thirty years, Philips continues that tradition. Doubtless Saturday you'll again see him miraculously fingertip a goalbound effort around the post, though few will see that it was his constant indecision & incorrect positioning that led to the back four being too deep for their own good. Those that spot the chaos caused from his inability to command the six yard box during the resultant corner will probably be mulling over said whilst his next half dozen clearances either bisect the touchline at Fortune head height or will disappear straight down the throat of the opposition. One of the main reasons City have been unable to command & control sustained periods of play this season is the fact that a pass to Philips is as good as a pass to the opposition.

If you don't believe I'm right than why not ask Butler, or Coles, or Hill, or Carey, or whichever defender has cause to have an onfield spat with Philips during the next defensive crisis? Jeez, they're almost weekly events these days.

BTR

FTG

Grow up

Just look at your post,

all negativity  even down to the the sad graphics.

Those that think Phillips is poor need to wake up and wash the clearasil out of their eyes.

He is a tremendous shot stopper and has improved season on season.

whatever his off-field character is like is up to HIM.

shall we question alll the posters on here as to their behaviour?

sometimes I just wish you moaning gits would collectively fall under a giant bus. :D

Yeah Antman have it your way he's brilliant.

Nice wish about the bus too, and I should grow up? What is it they say about not attacking the poster on here?

I'm sorry but Phillips new immortality was shortlived, I have re evaluated his plus and many minuses. I have returned to my previous conclusion that Flapper = Dodgy Keeper.

It's not an attack on the club, its not proof of disloyalty to BCFC it just stating a fact, Get over it!

Nice Guys rarely Win anything, how many have commented on his peronality? I wonder why it is brought up so much? maybe it is because his on field plusses are few and far between.

• Admin
It's not an attack on the club, its not proof of disloyalty to BCFC it just stating a fact, Get over it!

and who decides this is a fact? Surely it's just an opinion? Or does saying it is fact make it fact?

Nice Guys rarely Win anything, how many have commented on his peronality? I wonder why it is brought up so much? maybe it is because his on field plusses are few and far between.

Actually it's in response to some of his detractors deciding to attack his personality? Or are his supporters only allowed to debate his goalkeeping ability whilst his detractors can slag off whatever part of his life they want?

and who decides this is a fact? Surely it's just an opinion? Or does saying it is fact make it fact?

Actually it's in response to some of his detractors deciding to attack his personality? Or are his supporters only allowed to debate his goalkeeping ability whilst his detractors can slag off whatever part of his life they want?

Ok Madger, you are right it is just an opinion, my opinion.

but if Phillips is such an amazing goalkeeper, as many on here state then

Why have I had heard chants from Away supporters, I'm not talking regular mickey taking songs. I mean 'dodgy keeper' echoing in the East End on many occasions these past few seasons?

I have had chats in pubs Home and Away with rival supporters, and a number have commented on our goalkeeper. For the record I have not based my opinion on these comments, but I go along with them and have said so at the time.

how can they all be wrong? I don't think they are IMO

Just because a player puts on the red shirt, it does not instantly elevate them to superstardom status in my eyes. I'll support the team 100% and will also gauge players on merit. I have done this with Phillips and he ain't that great.

The 'Nice Guy' bit is just an indication of pro Phillips supporters s####ing the barrel for his plus points IMO.

• Admin

OpenEnd, I'll be the first to admit that Phillips has his faults but year on year he HAS shown an improvement and to quote something that has been said a million times already "he's only young for a goalie" so has a long way to go before we see him "at his best". Obviously I'd be delighted if Danny went out and signed someone better than him to stick between our goalposts but the fact remains that he is currently the best option we have and we should therefore not look to make his confidence (and therefore his perfomance in matches) lower by constant jibes etc.

I agree that he is probably "unlikely" to read the forum himself but these things have a habit of being reported to the players such as when Peacock had been rumoured to have injured himself while drunk in Spain and he came up with some comment about drinking lots of milk lately :D Also, the flak he receives at games doesn't help either. I'm not saying you abuse him in match situations but a lot of people DO abuse our players during games yet miraculously everyone on here claims they never do.

Anyway, most of the above is psychology, with regard to his "flapping" at crosses in particular, 2 years ago he used to come for them and either drop the ball in an attempt to catch it or miss it completely. Nowadays he usually gets at least a fist to it and clears it from the danger area which is an improvement in itself. As he gets older and more "coached" I will be expecting him to improve further in this respect.

Finally, you say "The 'Nice Guy' bit is just an indication of pro Phillips supporters s####ing the barrel for his plus points IMO." whereas doesn't the opposite side's argument do the same thing? ie "The 'Bad Guy' bit is just an indication of anti Phillips supporters s####ing the barrel for his minus points IMO."

Great post Madger.

The bottom line is that although fans might have diferent views about his ability (and clearly they do) I don't think that landing him with the nickname 'Flapper' is going to do anything for his confidence. Mud like that tends to stick, even if it's not deserved.

An example would be the continued references to Phillips poor kicking. A few years ago this was a fair criticism .. his kicking was erratic to say the least. But in the last couple of years, this aspect of his game has improved enormously, and he now kicks confidently with both feet. I can't remember the last time he fluffed a kicked clearance, and yet people still bring up this as a stick to beat him with.

No player should feel that they are above criticism on here, but I do feel that a lot of the stuff being directed at Phillips is well over the top.

He is still young and getting better and better and how often do we chant songs at opposition goalkeepers? all the time. The only time it really happens is when he is kickign the ball which is when the defence are puuting him under unneeded pressure

Guest BTR_FTG

"I can't remember the last time he fluffed a kicked clearance..."

Ha, ha, ha......It's how you write em Dave......

Take it you weren't rolling in the aisles at the Brentford Playhouse during the Boxing Day pantomime....? I'm told he did connect with one that actually went somewhere down the middle & nearly connected with a City head, though by that stage my eyes were so full of tears of laughter I do believe I missed it.

As for his, tee hee, "confidence" - No Dave you really must stop it...I'm cracking up.....

BTR

FTG

OpenEnd, I'll be the first to admit that Phillips has his faults but year on year he HAS shown an improvement and to quote something that has been said a million times already "he's only young for a goalie" so has a long way to go before we see him "at his best". Obviously I'd be delighted if Danny went out and signed someone better than him to stick between our goalposts but the fact remains that he is currently the best option we have and we should therefore not look to make his confidence (and therefore his perfomance in matches) lower by constant jibes etc.

I agree that he is probably "unlikely" to read the forum himself but these things have a habit of being reported to the players such as when Peacock had been rumoured to have injured himself while drunk in Spain and he came up with some comment about drinking lots of milk lately  :D Also, the flak he receives at games doesn't help either. I'm not saying you abuse him in match situations but a lot of people DO abuse our players during games yet miraculously everyone on here claims they never do.

Anyway, most of the above is psychology, with regard to his "flapping" at crosses in particular, 2 years ago he used to come for them and either drop the ball in an attempt to catch it or miss it completely. Nowadays he usually gets at least a fist to it and clears it from the danger area which is an improvement in itself. As he gets older and more "coached" I will be expecting him to improve further in this respect.

Finally, you say "The 'Nice Guy' bit is just an indication of pro Phillips supporters s####ing the barrel for his plus points IMO." whereas doesn't the opposite side's argument do the same thing? ie "The 'Bad Guy' bit is just an indication of anti Phillips supporters s####ing the barrel for his minus points IMO."

To be honest all this 'He's young', 'Improving' nonsense is starting to grate with me. 'Potential' and 'Inexperienced' are other favourite term used in Flappers defense.

The guy has played over 200 (TWO HUNDRED AND NINE to be exact) games for this club (170 in the league and only 1 sub appearance EVER)

Soccerbase

How much longer before you drop the pretence that he is still wet behind the ears?

• Admin
To be honest all this 'He's young', 'Improving' nonsense is starting to grate with me. 'Potential' and 'Inexperienced' are other favourite term used in Flappers defense.

The guy has played over 200 (TWO HUNDRED AND NINE to be exact) games for this club (170 in the league and only 1 sub appearance EVER)

Soccerbase

How much longer before you drop the pretence that he is still wet behind the ears?

....and there was me trying hard not to use the word "experience". We're in agreement that Steve isn't the best goalie out there but he IS the best goalie we have so in the meantime what's the point in slagging him off? As Wilson has stated this week, the money is just not there for any more signings so as much as we may benefit from signing a new goalie it just isn't going to happen until the Summer at the earliest.

What's wrong with the "young" argument though? I thought it was a widely held opinion that goalkeepers don't reach their peak until their 30's and Steve is some way off that. He may well have played 209 games but that doesn't mean his lurning curve has come to a halt.

Archived