IGNORED

Did You Ever Support The Gas?

NewYorkFan

Someone mentioned that Coles was a gashead but changed sides around 13.

I have to admit that this was similar to myself.

Surrounded by all the gasheads in W-S-M I did follow them until 1973-74 season.

At school it seemed that all the locals followed Rovers but the kids from Bristol followed City.

I saw the light and made the transition. Now supported city for 32 years out 43!

Not really proud of the gasdays but hopefully confession and a few Hail Mary's will give me absolution! wub.gif

Just the thought of Supporting the gas makes me want to barf up. I'm trying to save my nephews from making that mistake at the moment as their dad (my brother in law) is a gasgit.

No I never supported Rovers but when I was a wee nipper we used to get taken to both Ashton Gate and Eastville by my mate's old man.

Rovers were in what is now the Championship but playing in a truly grim, grimy, ramshackle ground with crowds of about 5,000 and the football was s###e as always.

City, meanwhile where in the Premiership (as it became), playing the best in the land, crowds around 25,000, cracking atmosphere, etc.

Well, there was no conscious choice to make really, ya can't help who you fall in love with can you? Maybe that makes me a glory hunter but I then followed City to the bottom of division 4 and back so I think I redeemed myself.

In the 95/96 season, I was 15 and a casual supporter of Everton, and living in Redland. I had no affiliation with either City or Rovers but one Saturday I was bored and decided I would go watch the Rovers game as the Memorial Game wasn't far and it was only a fiver to get in or something. Anyway, I ended up not going because I didn't have anyone to go with. Rovers won that game 2-0 so God knows what would have happened if I'd gone. A few months later at the start of the 96/97 season my mate from school dragged me to City vs York on a Friday night (quid a kid!) and saw Agostino and Goodridge beat York 2-0. I was hooked and went to another 10 games or so that season before getting my first season ticket in 97/98.

Every day I'm thankful that I didn't go to that Rovers game ...

Are you Riaz from Redcliffe School? Cos I think you punched my mate in the back of the head (by accident) at Hillsborough  rofl2br.gif

yeah i am..............Did I? I had quite a few to drink that day............ was he sat in front of me or something?

Guest thatchermeup

Have I ever supported the GAS?

NO NO NO NO NO I was brought up propperlly and didn't have a unhappy childhood at Eastville, Trumpton or the memorial tip.

Anyone who takes their child to watch the gas as a gas supporter should be made to pay and be reported to the NSPCC for child cruelty!!! city.gif

Guest DrFaustus
Have I ever supported the GAS?

NO NO NO NO NO I was brought up propperlly and didn't have a unhappy childhood at Eastville, Trumpton or the memorial tip.

Anyone who takes their child to watch the gas as a gas supporter should be made to pay and be reported to the NSPCC for child cruelty!!! city.gif

More sparkling wit and repartee blink.gif

Guest MaloneFM

Ask me a question I could answer truthfully and not be ashamed of. Have I ever stabbed a kitten to death with a fork or waited too long outside a childrens playground.

That kind of thing.

At school it seemed that all the locals followed Rovers but the kids from Bristol followed City.

I saw the light and made the transition. Now supported city for 32 years out 43!

Not really proud of the gasdays but hopefully confession and a few Hail Mary's will give me absolution! wub.gif

City for life. My whole family are City fans and I started going to matches when I was 4.

Personally, I don't know how you can support one team, then another, especially a change from City to R****s (or vice versa). Its not right!

city.gif

CTID

Coming from a non-football family and not living actually in Bristol (I'm from Weston) I went through the usual childhood teams at school - Man Utd, Liverpool etc - and even QPR for a brief while (the year they finished 2nd) before being old enough to travel to Ashton Gate without parents and from then on it was nothing but City......

As a lad from mid Gloucestershire, I was taken to a game every week by my dad, when I was about 6 or 7 I was old enough to be put on the "football bus" with every one else and taken to whichever Bristol ground had the home game.

From the age of 10 or 11, my senses were my own and the choice was made ... despite the thin and thinner times I have experienced as a red, no regrets !!!!! ... but I suppose there are many kids who had the same sort of routine, who eventually opted to join the blue few.

CHR city.gif

no.

never.

ever.

... and I come from a family of gas heads. Went to Eastville a few times (was in the Tote when Chelsea 'took it' dance.gif ). Was smacked about by rovers fans twice and one time out the back of Eastville a gang of them took the City scarf that ar' nan knitted I.

ranting.gif

Guest Niall

Nope, but was a Palace fan (South London born, forgive me) until aged 1974 when I first saw City. Saw the light aged 8, never looked back since. Have looked depressed, forlorn and generally peeed off all too regularly since then, but never looked back.....

Me neither I was even ridiculed at school as it was major gas territory. I didn't care as Bristol City were always a bigger club than Bristol Rovers. I did have a bet with a gashead once and regretted it . I went to trunpton to watch a drole 0-0 against Barnsley whilst city won 3-1 at Sunderland. I cheered that day. Could never go over to the dark side, and never forgave my friend as he was supposed to come to the gate to watch city play and he didnt!

Guest we8thegas

NEVER,parents are city,grandfather was a copper at the city games and never the gas,first kit was the robin badge at about 5 or 6,HIRERITE sponsor (i think it's spelled like that)

(not exactly the same)

As I've said in the past I almost went the way of supporting Bristol City.

I stuck with my dad's favourite team and I have 100% no regrets.

Sure, there's no guarentee I'll be watching them in 5 years let alone 50.

Sure, my dad doesn't even watch them anymore.

It's been a (kind of) rollercoaster 15 years.

Guest we8thegas
(not exactly the same)

As I've said in the past I almost went the way of supporting Bristol City.

I stuck with my dad's favourite team and I have 100% no regrets.

Sure, there's no guarentee I'll be watching them in 5 years let alone 50.

Sure, my dad doesn't even watch them anymore.

It's been a (kind of) rollercoaster 15 years.

'Almost'yeah right,come off it you spend more time on here than anyone else(exept Dollymarie 24/7 whistling.gif )

RICH the girlfriend doesn't support city i do really

RICH tgdscidr wink.gif

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I used to watch the scum alot, going to most evening matches.

But now they're in the basement it's just not worth the entrance fee.

Guest South Coast Red

Went to my first match aged 10 (old man preferred boxing) and supported City ever since despite leaving Bristol when I was 16 for London.

I'm sure by the end of next season you will be a converted City fan Rich  wink.gif

N'ah because all these "we will destroy all in 2005/2006" comments only make me feel like I want you to crash and burn oh-so-much for kick up the backside purposes alone.

Not a good sign if I'm to be converted is it!

Guest we8thegas
don't start creeping now, its too late disapointed2se.gif

I'll have you know I was off here for a whole 10 hours, and thats not including me being asleep either!

Dollymarie

woah 10hours eh ohmy.gif me and my big mouth shutup.gif

wink.gif

my dad took me to watch City when i was 5 in 93/94 when they played middlesborough, and i chose them then.

wathced the gas once about 97 at the gas, they actually won 5-0 against wigan, but decided not to switch cos of the crap ground, and the crap being played on the pitch every game.

my dad tried to turn me into a Peterborough united fan, after we moved that way, by getting me a season ticket up there, but with the boring stuff played by barry fry's side couldnt take any more of it so stayed a City Fan. the posh is his 1st team man U 2nd and city 3rd city.gif

Guest Moose

I can't say I "supported" the Gas, but the first ever professional game I went to was them playing Brighton in some small cup competition - taken by my grandad. I think Brian Clough was involved in managing Brighton, and the Gas knocked in eight or nine!!!!

Shortly afterwards, I managed to convince mum to let me take the bus down Hartcliffe Way with my kid brother in tow, and that as they say, was that!!!

Only recently coverted to cider though.......

N'ah because all these "we will destroy all in 2005/2006" comments only make me feel like I want you to crash and burn oh-so-much for kick up the backside purposes alone.

Not a good sign if I'm to be converted is it!

Nowt wrong with a bit of optimism, is their Rich??

I hope we get over our lack of consistancy we displayed last season, but that's us all over I'm affraid...

disapointed2se.gif

Guest Colorado Red

I was born in gas territory (if there is such a place). But from a very early age City were the team for me. My first taste of football though was at Eastville. I always went into the Muller Road end, and supported the away side. Had some good times there, cheering on the likes of Millwall, Brighton, Southampton. I remember watching Tottenham play there in a cup match, and they completely packed out the away end. First game I went to see there was when they played Man Utd in the old second division. Hard to believe now. It was exciting to be stood on 'enemy territory' watching games. I couldn't afford to travel to away matches with City back then. So it was The Gate one week, Eastville the next. But pretty soon I started going away with the reds. And I only visited Eastville when City played Rovers there. And we usually got a result. How many Gloucester Cups did we win in a row?? dance.gif

Nowt wrong with a bit of optimism, is their Rich??

Not at all.

But there's optimism and theres total over confidence (again).

We're one week into Pre-Season anyone would think we were a week from the start of 2005/2006 season.

Plenty of time for clubs Doncaster, Tranmere and so forth to produce some good signings.

Rich.

Guest we8thegas
Plenty of time for clubs Doncaster, Tranmere and so forth to produce some good signings.

Rich.

like Paul Heffernan for example,good for us,good for him

Guest Ashton Kate

Even though I lived 10 minutes from the Gas ground I was lucky that my grandfather and my father were City fans. Thanks guys. Went out with a Gashead once in the Eastville days but made him stand in the away end to watch games.The place where I live is a predominant Gas area and the Gasheads put their heads down when they see me. Have supported City for 45 years and will never turn to the darkside. I even want my ashes scattered around the Gate. Cmon you reds this is going to be our year! City TIL I DIE.

Guest dandaman59

Supported City ever since i used to fall a sleep on my dads lap sitting in the East End when i was 3 years old 92/93 season i think i remember seeing Bob Taylor playing against West Brom for us when West Brom had that horrible Green and Yellow away strip and i went to away game at Wolverhampton and my dad and uncle found 150 quid on the floor at a services in Birmingham and i missed all the game because you guessed it i fell asleep biggrin.gif

Guest cider_kirk

one of my mates is a gashead, he managed to drag me to some of there evening games last season ph34r.gif , was the worst football i ever seen! blink.gif they look worse than we did in the last 30 mins against sheffeld wensday at the gate, only seen one half desent rovers game in my life, was when they drew with yovil 2-2 after being 2-0 down and having 2 players sent off. but i'm so glad i don't watch that rubbish every week though sleeping.gif , my mate agrees that the gar r rubbish now after watching city a few times smile.gif , i even got him to come to hartlepool dance.gif

city.gif

Archived