IGNORED

Peacock Wants To Stay.

Robbored

It looks as if Golden Boy wants to stay at City even if we don't go up this season.
I bet he bloody does.

He won't be good enough if we go up and he'll want too much money if we stay down. Either way, I can't see him being here next season.

I don't get all the Peacock-bashing.

The only issue I have is with his off-the-field antics.

Yes he gets caught offside too much and fouls too much but he's a bustling, all-around striker and a bubbly character who is our top scorer by a stretch and has scored consistently when he has been injury-free.

Obviously I haven't seen him regularly this year but I can't imagine he's got that much worse - he's a talented player and I think he'd do a decent job in division 1.

If he can be persuaded to take a pay cut I'd certainly give him a new deal - if Wilson's worth 3 years then Peacock must be worth an offer.

I don't get all the Peacock-bashing.

Yes he gets caught offside too much and fouls too much but he's a bustling, all-around striker and a bubbly character who is our top scorer by a stretch and has scored consistently when he has been injury-free.

Peacock is grosly overated imho.He doesn't get into enough goalscoring postions which is why he hardly ever scores a tap-in.He also gives away far too many free-kicks with clumsy challenges and offsides.He can't anticipate at all which another reason he gives away so many free kicks.He's also injury prone and the slightest knock puts him out for weeks.

Golden Boy can't develop a worthwhile partnership with any other City striker but despite that Wilson picks him ahead of every other striker.Miller as we have all seen is far more effective without Peacock alongside him, so to Roberts.

He's our leading goalscorer but thats because he has had more starts than anyone else.Had Miller started as much as Peacock I'm sure he'd be the top scorer especially if Peacock hadn't had been playing.

If an offer for £500k came in for him tomorrow I'd bite their hand off.

So would I, but that's not the point.

Since the departure of Murray, Lee Peacock has been the one player in the side who has looked capable of scoring goals from nothing. The amount of times he has saved us this season is amazing - just look at his 'points from goals' stat, which I believe is currently around 15. Without him there is no way we'd find ourselves in the position we currently occupy.

That's not to say he doesn't have his faults (most notably the clumsy fouls he tends to give away), but I don't go along with the 'he can't play with anyone' theory and I think that he isn't getting nearly enough credit for his efforts this season from a largish section of City fans.

This is the first season in which he's started to genuinely pay back some of that large fee we paid for him, and I wouldn't mind seeing him continue to pay it back next season. Keep it up Lee!

I would too but I don't think players with 6 months left on their contracts are likely to attract those sort of bids somehow!

I've always rated him highly - that away game at Reading was the best individual display by a City player I think I can remember.

Of course he has his flaws, that's why he's playing at division 2 level.

He has to take a lot of credit for where we are in the league this season - he was the only one who even looked like scoring early on and now I'm sure everyone would say he is still our most likely goalscorer.

I agree that he doesn't score enough tap-ins but maybe that makes his goal tallies in recent years all the more impressive?

As for not being able to play with people - it takes two to tango. Miller has looked anonymous alongside him on quite a few occasions and that can't be all Peacock's fault can it?

I would too but I don't think players with 6 months left on their contracts are likely to attract those sort of bids somehow!

Surely this is exactlty the reason why he wants to stay. He has seen Lee Matthews realise that he maybe out of work in 6 months time and is has dawned on him that he could be in the same situation. I'm sure he would snap up almost any contract put infront of him at the moment, and who of us wouldn't if we were in his shoes (or should that be boots)!

I bet he bloody does.

He won't be good enough if we go up and he'll want too much money if we stay down. Either way, I can't see him being here next season.

Damn you Edson :D , you took the words right out of my mouth

I hate/ love you ;)

Sorry to B'mth Red on the lack of support regarding his view of LP

I'm another one who has reservations about Leapy - the "Jack-of-all-trades" nature of his play, the irritating way he concedes possession through needless fouling and the suspicion that he's short of the "nous" to combine effectively with a striking partner. Frustrating is the word.

However, let's be fair, he does have an eye for goal - albeit as someone said not the tap-ins - the fact is his three goals in the last four games have put him right back on track for a 20+ season (158 mins/goal). He can do it if he stays focussed for the remaining matches, week-in week-out ... oh dear, another sentence full of caveats, it's impossible to write about him otherwise.

Guest Dolman Moaner
It looks as if Golden Boy wants to stay at City even if we don't go up this season.

What a hurtful nickname, how dare you ? :D

Hardly the most inspiring thought is it? If we don't go up, although I have prepared myself months ago.

how can the players be allowed to think that? It speaks volumes of the ambition of this club I think and how is it allowed to appear on the official site?

I can see the inevitable backlash if someone of 'non rose tinted' persuasion posted such negativity on here.

peacock deserves a new contract remember the lad is our top scorer

we'd be ****ed now without him  :D

Well, this is a similar debate to the Steve Philips one really.

The fact is he's our top scorer and has scored some crackers this season.

However, he is far from perfect and concedes a ridiculous amount of free-kicks, missing considerably more chances on goal than he scores.

It will divide the forum in two:

Whingers/comedians- They will give him a gay little nickname (eg flapper) and when they write any message about the player in question, include lots of exclamation marks in their post because they want people to realise what a funny nickname they call the player by.

Realists/supporters- They understand that we are Bristol City and not Arsenal. None of our players are really that great but nevertheless we will support and encourage them through thick and thin. You won't see a cr@ppy, unfunny nickanme in sight either. Apart from when refering to the rent-boys from Whorefield.

Well, this is a similar debate to the Steve Philips one really.

The fact is he's our top scorer and has scored some crackers this season.

However, he is far from perfect and concedes a ridiculous amount of free-kicks, missing considerably more chances on goal than he scores.

It will divide the forum in two:

Whingers/comedians- They will give him a gay little nickname (eg flapper) and when they write any message about the player in question, include lots of exclamation marks in their post because they want people to realise what a funny nickname they call the player by.

Realists/supporters- They understand that we are Bristol City and not Arsenal. None of our players are really that great but nevertheless we will support and encourage them through thick and thin. You won't see a cr@ppy, unfunny nickanme in sight either. Apart from when refering to the rent-boys from Whorefield.

i agree with what you say , and a player should be judged on

his play but what annoys me is that some are going a bit to far

with personal attacks, burnell had it, phillips is now and also some

about peacock, to be fair to peacock i don't care if he misses 10 chances

and scores 1 and we win 1-0 it is the 3 points that count ie stockport..

Guest city slicker 71

All a bit depressing when it gets to an almost personal crucifixtion and as professional as they attempt to be riding the insults it must sink deep. Ok if they have a mare then constructive criticisms no bad thing but the playground remarks ot good for the club as whole while not forgetting we are more public now ! :D

Regards

COWSHEDDER

Guest cider gliders
All a bit depressing when it gets to an almost personal crucifixtion and as professional as they attempt to be riding the insults it must sink deep. Ok if they have a mare then constructive criticisms no bad thing  but the playground remarks ot good for the club as whole while not forgetting we are more public now ! ;)

Regards

COWSHEDDER

We agree City Slicker, their supposed to be fans of this

great team of ours, an they be slagging off the players!

It`s not just how they do play, it`s personal attacks too!

Ole Peacock is doin` all right! He as scored some crackin`

goals for we this season, an we be sure their be more to

come! We have won four on the bounce and ole we read on

yer is moanin! Ruddy Priceless! :D

We think yer a good un Lee Peacock!

IMAG0017.JPG

Peacock B)  25 app this season 13 goals

Miller :D  25 apps this season      7 goals

Leave Peacock alone; dont outcast him like we do with most of our strikers to other clubs; where they still carry on scoring!!! Could we please keep the strikers that score goals ;Would be great to keep the players that get us to the 1st division and Peacock will. Maybe we should sack D.W when he gets us promotted this season as well????????????

Just how many times has that lump Peacock been substituted???

Miller is brand new to English football this season, Peacock, aint is he!!

The worst thing we could do is offer that over rated bloke another contract, he is NOT good enough for Div1 or the Mancs wouldnt have seen us coming and charged 600,000, and I said in another thread, I dont even think hes good enough for us at this level. He is massivly overrated.

bin him and go for Cureton/McSheffrey or someone along those lines.

for those people who think I'm a Peacock hater, yep, I have never seen him play well in his time here, and yes I am aware there are games he's played well in, but there ya go, you either like players or not- I thought Judas played better, when he gave a toss, and he's not in the same class as players like Taylor, Shutt, Allison, Cole, Goater, Akinbiyi etc.

Get him off the wage bill and get someone decent in.

dont even go down the sack DW route...

Totally agree bucksred.

Just as some people above can't understand the "Peacock bashing", I can't understand the people who think he's our best striker and what a wonderful player he is.

Peacock is without doubt the most over rated, under achieving City player in years.

I for one seriously hope he doesn't sign a new contract and that we get him off the wage bill.

The fact he is keeping other players out of the side with his performances is laughable. His long term love affair with Wilson is outrageous and it is so frustrating when its obvious he needs substituting, only to see Miller trudge off.

You can cite the "he's our top goal scorer" argument at me all you like; I'm not talking about just this season, which has been erratic to say the least.

If Miller, Roberts and Lita had been given the time, patience and minutes on the pitch that Peacock has, who knows where we'd be.

If we go up, he's certainly nowhere near good enough to be in the starting 11.

One Team

I think virtually any other manager would have Peacock sussed in 5 minutes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Peacock Wilson's first signing? Likes to bask in his occasional glory; "thats my boy" etc.

The main site story makes depressing reading as he's not likely go and any offer of a new contract is likely to met with glee by Peacock.

The other depressing thing is the story below the Peacock one in that we're not looking likely to sign Cureton, which is exactly the sort of player we need to push on and get out of this hell hole division.

One Team

PS I should note, I'm not one of these peoply who boo's Peacock during the game; but any player or member of the management team is fair game in this forum, IMHO.

Guest redrobin108

Just look at Peacocks goal scoring record

a goal every two games, not bad for a striker.

Thats what he is paid to do - scoring goals, not defender, not sprint from penalty box to another.

Not put in crunching tackles in midfield.

But score goals.

If he scores 25 goals+ this season, which he is on target for. Then he has done his job.

Well I've enjoy watching Leapy over the years - especially recently when his input has been fundamental in maintaining the recent run of wins - and I will hopefully continue to enjoy watching his enthusiam and commitment to the our great club for a few more years.

He has changed this season, and I can't remember the last time I saw a post referring to his off the pitch activities.

Let's just hope he rams all this un-called for criticism back down peoples throats with a nice hat trick on Saturday. :P

Well I've enjoy watching Leapy over the years - especially recently when his input has been fundamental in maintaining the recent run of wins - and I will hopefully continue to enjoy watching his enthusiam and commitment to the our great club for a few more years.

He has changed this season, and I can't remember the last time I saw a post referring to his off the pitch activities.

Let's just hope he rams all this un-called for criticism back down peoples throats with a nice hat trick on Saturday.  :P

Couldn't agree more Rose - it's not his fault that the board were dishing out 4-year contracts willy-nilly and paying over the odds for wages.

I take all the points on board but as far as I'm concerned he is our top striker and continues to impress me every time I see him play.

Why he seems to attract so much vitriol on the forum I don't know :D - he always seems popular enough with the majority of fans in the grounds. :D

Ah well, maybe I just have a thing for him.......... ;):D

Let's just hope he rams all this un-called for criticism back down peoples throats with a nice hat trick on Saturday.  :P

Yeah, it will be worth waiting for, your mate "Leapy" actually putting 90 minutes worth of work.... I dont think so.

Has he ever got a hatrick for City then? Being a prima donna allegedly saying "doesnt like working with Robbo" b****** doesnt exactly impress either, we aint a top of Div 1/Prem team where we can indulge the little egos. He is an overrated player in a side full of youngsters, who might well be taken in by the I'm a star cobblers, and it sure is funny 6 ish months short of his contract running out -he "wants" to stay- obviously loads of teams knocking at his agents front door then!!

If Leroy, Lee Miller ,and Robbo got as many full games in the same position, they would score as many. Miller will be a bigger star next season, as he'll be used to the English game, and its only Wonder-son who keeps Peacock on, his recent performances prior to Xmas didnt warrant starting him even, even since, he doesnt exactly contribute loads does he?

" and there is activity on the bench, Lita is stripping off- Danny Wilson is ringing the changes, pulling an ineffective Lee Peacock off"- yeah right!, his love affair with Peacock is at least partially to blame for the 11 draws this season, and he was TOTALLY anonymous in that game at Wycombe..

City needs and should get a decent striker, no more Peacocks, Matthews, Thorpes although Judas did put some good work in when he cared- fastest hat trick in Div 2 a few years back, what 15 or so minutes, cant see Peacock doing it, face it we got ripped off buying him...

Cut the losses and say sayanora to him...........

Guest DANBOY_BCFC

I really dont get what LP does to merit the cr*p he gets on here. I havent posted on here for ages but i've always been a reader. LP is the best striker at the club, 1 in 2 this season and when he is fit his goals per games started ratio is one to be proud of. Off the ball he is brilliant, his running along with LM's free's up so much space for Roberts and Brown, or whoever is on the wide positions. Leroy is good as a last 20 mins player, I have reservations if he can play well for the full 90 and score regularly. LP hasnt scored many tap ins this year but when Murray was here he got loads, kind of tells you what the service has been like for the front 2 this season when the majority of Peaks goals he made from nothing. 90% of peeps on here seem to love Joe Burnell (the most over-rated BCFC player ever, FACT.), and for what? He does nothing but run around like a headless chicken for 90 mins, since he has been dropped we've looked a better team. Lee Peacock gets the amount of critisim JB should get and he actually scores to justify his place, Burnell in my opinion did nothing that Tommy D couldnt, and nothing better. If there are spelling mistakes I'm sorry but I'm keeping an eye out for my boss.

1 in 2 = 1 goal every too games! Sorry, twas keeping an eye out for boss and lost concentration!
he has not got a bad scoring record for city

he deserves more credit some seem to see bad points

rather than good, it is the same with burnell now

i've said he is no good in midfield with tommy as

he is a better defender and would be better off at right back.

he joined city 09-08-2000

51 league goals

1 FA cup goals

3 league cup goals

5 in other compititions

the last city striker with stats like that was thorpe

not many strikers hit 50+ league goals for city that's for sure

http://www.soccerbase.com/footballlive/?MI...s&playerid=6199

Archived