IGNORED

Cash In On Leroy....

PhatWill

As the rumours go there has been some transfer interest in Lita. Hardly suprising given the season he's had, and while this should signal bad news for City in a way I don't think it will.

If Lita does get sold for a price of around £1.2-1.5 million then personally I'd be pretty happy. I'd love to see him continue at City but with that money we could clear off some debt and go in for Michael Nelson.

It would leave us slightly thin on the ground forward wise, however I expect our midfield to make a lot more of a contribution goal-wise next season. I am also a fan of Gillespie, additionally the money could be used to bring in someone else.

You only have to look at our last 2 games of the season when we missed Leroy through suspension. Two games - 5 goals!

We didn't miss him and we shouldn't if he goes!

I disagree, I think we should hold out for BIG money, in the meantime he can carry on scoring goals.....its a win/win situation. I wont be happy if we got less two million. I'm not saying he's worth that but why not get as much as we can, cos the more he scores for us, the more his value goes up....

Anywayz Marcus Stewart wont be here forever...... and who knows Lita mite stay if we got promoted this season coming........

As the rumours go there has been some transfer interest in Lita. Hardly suprising given the season he's had, and while this should signal bad news for City in a way I don't think it will.

If Lita does get sold for a price of around £1.2-1.5 million then personally I'd be pretty happy. I'd love to see him continue at City but with that money we could clear off some debt and go in for Michael Nelson.

It would leave us slightly thin on the ground forward wise, however I expect our midfield to make a lot more of a contribution goal-wise next season. I am also a fan of Gillespie, additionally the money could be used to bring in someone else.

You only have to look at our last 2 games of the season when we missed Leroy through suspension. Two games - 5 goals!

Money of that order would surely be too good to turn down, and would leave us with a first choice pairing of Brooker and Stewart with Gillespie and Cotterill in reserve and the possibility of bringing in another big forward if that was deemed necessary. Still pretty tasty forward options IMHO.

In the end, I guess it's down to Leroy. If clubs are prepared to offer that sort of money, and if they are clubs who interest him, then I'm sure he will leave. But if he decides that his career will be best served by another season at City, that'll be fine by me.

but Brooker scored 4 of them so what happens if he has a baron patch? hopefully MS would score but i cant see MS scoring 29 next year but i could certainly see him setting up 29!

Almost certainly, anything over £1 million would be hard to turn down. Despite confirming his desire to stay, I would expect Leroy to be tempted away to play at a higher level akin to Hill, Rosenior et al. Wouldn't do his England prospects any harm either to be more visible.

The key to deals these days are sell on clauses. If he starts scoring from the off, then expect him to go in January. If he proves himself in the championship, we will profit in the long term as his career progresses. dance.gif

Clubs in the lower leagues find it increasingly difficult to keep hold of their rising stars (Koumas, Jenas, Ashton, Stead etc). The secret is knowing when to sell. A good example of missing the boat has to be Stockport's handling of Luke Beckett. Six figure sums being touted at one point, only for him to shuffle round the lower leagues and end up with Oldham. crying.gif

Wouldn't want Leroy to leave, but money talks shifty.gif

To me if the option of cashing in is there we should take it.

Lita is this clubs greatest asset, and if we can get £1.5 million for him we should certainly take it - as Dave L states that is money simply too good to turn down for a club in our position.

As much as id love to see him lining up for us next season i wouldnt be particularly disappointed if he left for the suggested money.

If you told me Lita would leave, we'd sign Nelson, and possibly have around a million left in the kitty id bloody snap you're hands off!

Maybe the January 06 transfer window will prove more difficult to keep him if he does start scoring for fun again.

Especially if we're not in the frame for promotion. I dare to think what clauses will be in his new contract.

I'd sale Lita now, nothing but trouble and we would get at least a millon for him.

I'd take half that amount provided there was a large selling on clause.

nothing but trouble.

What exactly is your definition of 'nothing'?!

If you're looking for a troubling influence within the City squad, I think that despite what you may have heard/think you've heard - you're barking up the wrong tree!

Guest WillsbridgeRed
What exactly is your definition of 'nothing'?!

If you're looking for a troubling influence within the City squad, I think that despite what you may have heard/think you've heard - you're barking up the wrong tree!

Well obviously nothing can go on here, so lets leave it at that!

Guest RedwardsV1

I think if we sell Leroy Lita, Then we will find how good Steven Gillespie really is, I think selling Leroy would be good for the club and Gillespie will then shine

Guest WillsbridgeRed
So you embark on a bit of character assasination without having to prove it? Either state facts or don't.

Unsubstantiated insinuations of people's character is doing my nut in.

Yawn

A question was asked, an answer was given.

That's not character assasination, it's a point of view.

Yawn

Wakey Wakey

A question was asked, an answer was given.

That's not character assasination, it's a point of view.

By expressing your opinion you can also take part in character assination.

If it is only your opinion that he is trouble then why not state why in your opinion he is?

Guest WillsbridgeRed
Wakey Wakey

By expressing your opinion you can also take part in character assination.

If it is only your opinion that he is trouble then why not state why in your opinion he is?

Whatever you mug, posts about players actions outside the club wont be tolerated on this forum, you know this so can understand why they aren't being posted.

I suggest you log onto the subbers forum if you want to continue this convo.

Whatever you mug, posts about players actions outside the club wont be tolerated on this forum, you know this so can understand why they aren't being posted.

I suggest you log onto the subbers forum if you want to continue this convo.

Well, I've lived up to the mug tag and logged on. It's a bit messy though. Isn't there a nice Mac skin like this one?

I think if we sell Leroy Lita, Then we will find how good Steven Gillespie really is, I think selling Leroy would be good for the club and Gillespie will then shine

Do any of the Bristol City find such threads alarming. Many appear to be disregarding a young prolific striker because a 32 year-old City fan has joined.

It's almost thanks for nothing (that's what I'd get if I was Lita reading these type of threads). I can understand the football financial climate means sometimes you must sell, but you don't have to sale Lita.

Any thoughts?

dunno.gif

No to cashing in on Leroy disapointed2se.gif

Wait until next season when we have be crowned Champions and Lita is top scorer, then look at interested clubs.

No point selling him for 800k now, why would we do that?

We could not buy another Lita for that, and we don't need the money.....for now praying smiley.gif

Sorry i just think he's ace and don't ever want him to leave us blushing.gif

Do any of the Bristol City find such threads alarming. Many appear to be disregarding a young prolific striker because a 32 year-old City fan has joined.

It's almost thanks for nothing (that's what I'd get if I was Lita reading these type of threads). I can understand the football financial climate means sometimes you must sell, but you don't have to sale Lita.

Any thoughts?

dunno.gif

The point is we have been stung before with young talent leaving on a free. We held out with Aaron Brown and then lost him on a free and the Liam Rosenior saga was one that left a sour taste in all City fans mouth's.

If he will not sign a new contract, which at the momment it must be assumed is the case as why would the board hold back on negotiations, then we should sell him now.

It is far from disregarding a young striker, merely thinking with business and common sense heads on as opposed to burying our heads in the sand and assuming that Lita and his agent will sign a new contract with this club next year when they will surely have better offers.

Go to hand it to you - all those words and not the slightest suggestion of credit to the manager for backing the young striker with the best record Bristol City has ever seen.

I'd put myself in the if a decent offer comes in accept it. A mill+ with sell ons and clauses would be perfectly acceptable to me. Then again if this was the plan they wouldn't have sold Heff, so i suspect he'll be here all season now.

Guest pentlandsl

Lita is a very good player but offers above £700,000 would be very hard to ignore at this level.

If he stays and doesn't reproduce last season's form then his value would plummet.

If he stays and will only sign a contract with an unnattractive get-out clause then City would be better off capitalising now by getting the money in the bank.

If he decides to leave then we still have Brooker, Stewart, Gillespie and Cotterell up front, all of whom I expect to be in double figures if they play regularly. We would also have the money to either (a) buy a really good, ball-winning midfielder to replace Tommy or (b) improve our financial position.

I would like to think our midfielders and defenders will chip in with a few more next season as well.

Personally I would like to see us bank the money now rather than take a chance on a one-season wonder.

Any thoughts?

dunno.gif

Never mind Stewart, while Lita stays young players like Gillespie will never get their chance.

Other good young players like Heffernan who may have been just as prolific will hardly get a game and be sold on.

Tinman showed that he would never rest Leroy even when his barren patches cried out for one of our many other promising strikers to get their chance. That sort of sustained faith in one player can't go down too well with other strikers who are only given 2 game bursts to prove themselves.

If City get a huge bid for a player who may have already had his highest scoring season then we must take it. He will definitely leave City sooner or later and it would be nice to think one or two of those waiting for their chance will still be here to take it.

As for the thanks, all that should come from Leroy. City gave him his chance, the fans roar his name every week and if he moves on in a deal that ups his wages and status it would be largely due to the support he has received from the club and fans.

To even contemplate turning down a bid of 1.3m ( plus clauses) would be madness after the Aaron Brown and Danny Coles debacles.

With the likes of Southampton, Crystal Palace and Ipswich looking for replacements for strikers who they are on the verge of selling for big money, and Hull having been promoted, it seems a near certainty Leroy will be gone before August.

I don't think anyone should knock Leroy's record last season.  If you want barren spells just look at Peacock and Thorpe.

Not knocking Leroy's record, but if a players off form and other good players are chomping at the bit, he makes way.

That should apply to all players and it didn't happen with Leroy last season.

He may have scored even more if he'd come back refreshed from a couple of 'rests' at the right time.

Heffernan definitely would have.

Go to hand it to you - all those words and not the slightest suggestion of credit to the manager for backing the young striker with the best record Bristol City has ever seen.

dunno.gif

Headache last night?

All phatwill did was make a very good post about Leroy and you moan he hasn't mentioned Tinnion.

I like Tins a lot and supported him throughout last year and always will no matter WHAT.

Will I get the same response if I dare not mention him on a whole few lines about somebody completely different? Please! praying smiley.gif

Guest mo_glos

why the hell do people want to sell a 20 year old centre forward who scored 29 goals in his first full season for a team that didnt even make the play offs!! wanting to sell him would be totally and utterly crazy. Leroy without a shadow of a doubt proved his ability to score goals and we need him to be the first name on the team sheet every week! next season. leroy MUST stay!

Guest mo_glos
Not knocking Leroy's record, but if a players off form and other good players are chomping at the bit, he makes way.

He may have scored even more if he'd come back refreshed from a couple of 'rests' at the right time.

why did tinnion not rest leroy more?? simple. Becasue tinnion knew that leroy posed the biggest threat up front.

Guest we8thegas
why the hell do people want to sell a 20 year old centre forward who scored 29 goals in his first full season for a team that didnt even make the play offs!! wanting to sell him would be totally and utterly crazy. Leroy without a shadow of a doubt proved his ability to score goals and we need him to be the first name on the team sheet every week! next season. leroy MUST stay!

Must stay without a doubt.I've just seen in this thread posts saying £500k,£700k,£800k too hard to refuse????????.£1m to £1.5m,not long ago it was stated that offers around £1m will be laughed at so if he has to go lets hold out for £2 to £4mil with huge sell ons and clauses.

Show us yer money,sod that sign on longer Leroy we need you to get us up praying smiley.gif

Guest mo_glos

For the sake of BCFC it would be best if Lita was sold for say750k+. The reasons are well documented. Sell him ASAP.

Guest we8thegas
For the sake of BCFC it would be best if Lita was sold for say750k+. The reasons are well documented. Sell him ASAP.

would that be clauses and sell-ons dunno.gif

can't be that bad we need to sell for £750,000 as tins stated £1,000,000 is laughable.so what are these so called reasons for selling our top scorer for peanuts banghead.gifdisapointed2se.gif

would that be clauses and sell-ons dunno.gif

can't be that bad we need to sell for £750,000 as tins stated £1,000,000 is laughable.so what are these so called reasons for selling our top scorer for peanuts banghead.gif  disapointed2se.gif

I wouldn't sell a potential Premiership player- how we ever going to get to the Premier League if we sell off our best players as soon as we can.

Guest we8thegas
how we ever going to get to the Premier League if we sell off our best players as soon as we can.

exactly,does my head in banghead.gif

I can't see anyone offering us £1.5m this summer since he's had one real season and the only way I think he will leave is if we don't look like promotion in the transfer window and we're forced to sell or face losing him to a tribunal fee.

Most likely I think is that he will sign a new contract and score quite a few in our promotion season, only to bugger off half way through 06/07 to the Prem on a release clause.

Nibor

why did tinnion not rest leroy more?? simple. Becasue tinnion knew that leroy posed the biggest threat up front.

Poor decision then. Leroy posed no threat at all during two very barren patches when he should have been rested.

A rest then would have been good for Leroy, good for Heffernan or Gillespie and crucially, good for the team.

well they havnt been documented well enough for me-what are these reasons then? pm me if u cannot post on here.

I did.  And it hurt me as well!  mad.gif

I'm not sure if you are being serious... I shall assume that the post was meant literally and therefore I wonder how it hurt you aswell?? did you get caught in the middle?

I wasnt being sercy by the way originall, I just never really heard what happened... If you wanna PM me with details I would be interested! (I know any details on here would be removed).

Guest mo_glos

For 6 months the forum has been done to death with "Lita for sale, moving to, interests shown by" type threads. If you read the forum regularly your brain would be clogged with the endless Lita moving posts. To put it in perspective though a third division side stagnated in that league for 7 years needs impetus. To sell an excellant prospect like Lita with plenty of other options on the wage bill, can only strengthen Bcfc as a club. With a debt of 6 million +, much needed revenue will help consolidate revenue, and help finance weaker areas in the squad.Like many other forum posters i still see the need for a "top class" center back, as quoted by Tins, he had to go with what was affordable......not the best, what was affordable. That puts limitations on his ability to produce results. In summary Leroy is the clubs greatest saleable commodity, and his sale could generate revenue for the greater good of the clubs promotional aspirations .

I fail to see how his sale will benefit the club playing wise. Who is there to replace leroy? If he gets sold then yes, another centre back could be brought in but then we will be lacking what we have done for years and that is a clinical goal scoring striker. For several seasons city have needed a striker with the capability of scoring lots of goals and we finally have one. Why sell him when he is an integral part a team required to win us promotion!

I think the important bit is that he creates his own goals as well. That is a rare quality and should be the main reason we do everything we can to keep him.

Yes his scoring record suggests huge periods of lack of form last season whistling.gif

Guest we8thegas
a) Lansdown says he will only leave to premier league club

b) not many teams if any are willing to gamble on a one-season wonder. if he was on 15 goals at chrimbo then he might start atrracting big clubs

i reckon next summer if for some stupid reason we don't p|$$ this league blink.gif

Of course we should sell him if we get a bid which is acceptable. I'm really not sure why this is even being debated.

Unless Roman Abramovich comes along, we have to accept that every player has their price and I think the current board is sensible enough to realise that. We can pretty safely leave that one in their hands I think.

But, please don't lets start the 'Lita isnt good enough' arguements. (maybe I'm wrong but thats the impression I get from some of the comments on this thread) And we certainly SHOULDN'T sell him just because you think Gillespie or Cotterill deserve a chance instead ! Thats just madness.

He's done enough to deserve a bit of loyalty from us now. Every striker has barren patches and every striker makes mistakes (especially young ones who are still improving !) So what ? Surely we have all seen enough football to understand this very basic fact of life ?

Poor decision then. Leroy posed no threat at all during two very barren patches when he should have been rested.

A rest then would have been good for Leroy, good for Heffernan or Gillespie and crucially, good for the team.

Do I remember us resting Lita against P'boro at home, we won 2-0 but played absoluteley awfully, we then kept Lita out of the side away to Huddersfield where we were crap and 2-0 down, Leroy comes on, scores, changes the game and we get a point.

He then goes on to start and score the only goal at Tranmere, terrible decision!?!? chant6ez.gifblink.giflaugh.gifbanghead.gif

When will you actually realise that although Gilly is a tidy footballer, he isn't a patch on Leroy Lita yet?

Do I remember us resting Lita against P'boro at home, we won 2-0 but played absoluteley awfully, we then kept Lita out of the side away to Huddersfield where we were crap and 2-0 down, Leroy comes on, scores, changes the game and we get a point.

He then goes on to start and score the only goal at Tranmere, terrible decision!?!?  chant6ez.gif  blink.gif  laugh.gif  banghead.gif

When will you actually realise that although Gilly is a tidy footballer, he isn't a patch on Leroy Lita yet?

So, what you're saying is Leroy was rested and City won the next game without him.

Then, AFTER his rest, he came back and scored.

I couldn't have backed up my argument better myself, Swindon Hater, though strangely you seem to be using your example to oppose me. dunno.gif

Just think how many more Leroy and the team might have scored if he had been rested during his other earlier, even more barren patches.

Yes his scoring record suggests huge periods of lack of form last season whistling.gif

Leroy had a great record over the season, nobody is denying that.

24 goals in 44 League Apps. is good going by any standards, but that doesn't mean he was firing on all cylinders all the time, as we all saw.

Taking the statistics further, you could say that Leroy failed to find the net on at least 20 occasions, more when you take into account matches where he scored more than one.

Plenty of scope for barren periods there, which there were, and i maintain he should have been rested on a couple of occasions to the benefit of all.

Being taken out of the firing line for a short spell when they're seen to be struggling for form is an accepted part of the development of all young players, and who knows, if he had been, his total may have been even more impressive.

There is a very obvious problem with this arguement Nogbad.

How do you know beforehand that he is going to have a barren match ? You could drop him after 3 or four quiet matches not knowing that he is going to score a hat-trick in the next.

Why can't you bring yourself to back a young striker who has scored 20+ league goals for your club for the first time in years ?

Surely he deserves a bit more faith after the season he's just had ?

There is a very obvious problem with this arguement Nogbad.

How do you know beforehand that he is going to have a barren match ?  You could drop him after 3 or four quiet matches not knowing that he is going to score a hat-trick in the next.

Why can't you bring yourself to back a young striker who has scored 20+ league goals for your club for the first time in years ?

Surely he deserves a bit more faith after the season he's just had ?

You rest him after 3 or 4 off form matches just like anyone else when you have capable reserves. Has it not occurred to you that the ever absent Heffernan might have scored a hat-trick too?

I resent your last but one comment.

Just because i think he should have been rested doesn't mean i don't back him at matches. I back him every bit as much as you do, but i can also see beyond my personal favourites.

Mo-Glos, you ask who would replace Lita, and we cant sell him as he is an importent part of the team. Believe me, if the right offer comes the board WILL sell him, you can go to the bank on that. At 20 you talk from the heart, but reality comes down to money, and Bcfc is being run as a business. If the big money comes in, we would have the new messiah, Stewart, Brooker, Cotterill, and Gillespie to try and fill the Lita void. Its about the club and squad strength, never about one player.

For 6 months the forum has been done to death with "Lita for sale, moving to, interests shown by" type threads. If you read the forum regularly your brain would be clogged with the endless Lita moving posts. To put it in perspective though a third division side stagnated in that league for 7 years needs impetus. To sell an excellant prospect like Lita with plenty of other options on the wage bill, can only strengthen Bcfc as a club. With a debt of 6 million +, much needed revenue will help consolidate revenue, and help finance weaker areas in the squad.Like many other forum posters i still see the need for a "top class" center back, as quoted by Tins, he had to go with what was affordable......not the best, what was affordable. That puts limitations on his ability to produce results. In summary Leroy is the clubs greatest saleable commodity, and his sale could generate revenue for the greater good of the clubs promotional aspirations .

I fail to see how his sale will benefit the club playing wise. Who is there to replace leroy? If he gets sold then yes, another centre back could be brought in but then we will be lacking what we have done for years and that is a clinical goal scoring striker. For several seasons city have needed a striker with the capability of scoring lots of goals and we finally have one. Why sell him when he is an integral part a team required to win us promotion!

You rest him after 3 or 4 off form matches just like anyone else when you have capable reserves. Has it not occurred to you that the ever absent Heffernan might have scored a hat-trick too?

I resent your last but one comment.

Just because i think he should have been rested doesn't mean i don't back him at matches. I back him every bit as much as you do, but i can also see beyond my personal favourites.

As i remember Lita scored before the Wrexham away game and only scored once in the next 8 weeks. That 8 week period over Christmas/ New year was perfect for using the squad to better advantage

Guest Big Si

Why are people calling Leroy a one season wonder. This was the first season where Leroy was a first choice player, but in the 2 seasons before that, when he was very young, we could all see he knew where the goal was, he just wasnt given the chance (not saying that was a good or bad thing, apart from that day out to cardiff!). Does anyone have his goals/ games ratio for city before this season?

Si.

Archived