IGNORED

Northampton Milking Fans

Percy Parrot

Northampton have more than doubled their ticket prices for the visit of Man Utd.

Fans will be paying- adults- £35 or £30, concessions- £25 or £30 (with one stand doing a kids ticket of £15)!!!!!!!!!

The ticket prices are so high that Man Utd are themselves discounting the cost by £10 for their own fans.

Now you can understand why a club 18th in Division 3 wants to make as much money as possible from the game especially when the ground holds just 7,600.

I think they have or are expecting live TV coverage which, I think, will bring in another £100,000 or so but even including that- if the average ticket price was £15 they would only make about £150,000. (7600 fans x 15 - costs of hosting game / 2 (costs split between two clubs and FA). So you can understand them trying to make another £55-60k.

HOWEVER- I do feel VERY sorry for those fans who follow N'ton home and away, through thick and thin and now have to fork out up to £200 to take their family to the stadium they go to every week. I feel especially sorry for the kid who goes down to Sixfields each week with his mates but now can't afford the ticket so won't get to go.

It'd be interesting to now what Northampton fans think about the massive increase. How would you feel if that happened at AG? Would you be angered or just pleased to get the chance to see Man Utd and for your club to make a lot of £ from it?

I can see why they have done it but I do think the increase is just a bit too much and feel it is Northampton taking advantage of their fans.

But anyway, best of luck to them in the game and I think that week we should have an addition to guess the City attendance- we could have 'Guess how many people will be stood on the hill above the Sixfields Stadium'!!!

Funnily enough I spoke to a mate of mine who supports Northampton this morning but he didn't actually make any mention of the ticket prices!

Thing is, you can't blame Northampton for doing this. Its just a sad state of affairs in a post-ITV Digital financial climate which has polarised the rich and poor clubs yet further.

My mate said he reckoned Northampton stood to make £200k from the deal Sky were offering alone.

Feel sorry for the fans that can't afford it and all that but they can now go out and buy 2/3 quality players and get themselves out of division 3!

In the long run it'll help them out, lucky little buggers.

BCFC every tried to do somthing(I think that they won't) I wouldn't go to the game.

The only thing Northampton have done is to make sure neaturals fans hoping that Utd stuff them. Not many clubs have acheived that, well done the Northampton.

The police are going to ensure the hill is out of bounds on the day, Percy.

So my guess is none, bar about 40 policemen! :D

I hope 30,000 people turn up. That would make I laugh.

Don't particularly like the police that do Northampton games.

Normally I think police are TOTALLY fine and I have no problem with them at all- I think they do a great job- but last season when we were there they started filming all us fans in the City end even though we were causing NO trouble, there was NO tense atmosphere, NO goading, NO controversy, NO inflamatory chanting and we were all in colours.

Guest pogue mahone
HOWEVER- I do feel VERY sorry for those fans who follow N'ton home and away
so do i, what kind of existence can that be ?

in seriousness its the way of the open market in post 1992 football. in a way if you are prepared to pay £15 to watch northampton v carlisle then you will be prepared to pay £30 to watch the best team in the country. i don't necessarily agree with it, but they are hardly the first club to take advantage of their fans. personally i think that £17 to watch bristol city play chesterfield is nothing short of scandalous, but i will continue to watch city until they eventually price me out of it.

So on that theory ...if they had been drawn against a lesser club ( if there is anyone lesser than Northampton) they would have sold their tickets at HALF price? I doubt it.

I like the FA cup to be played as it is drawn, unless absolutely impossible. ie if you are a small club and and get a huge club at home then it should be played on your ground, not moved. If you can only get 1000 fans in then it's 1000 fans at the usual match price. Any additional income can be gained either by Tv money or merchandise. Even Yeovil had a special shirt out when they played Liverpool recently. Then it's up to the fan if they want to buy and not be forced to pay over inflated prices. I would not be very happy if I were a Northampton fan!

Guest redrobin108

What really gets my goat about this, is the cheeky commnet from the biggest rip off merchants in the world moaning about fans being ripped off.

Sounds like the Northampton fans are being quite understanding according to today's Independent. Love the comment about prawn sandwiches:

<<Northampton Town announced yesterday that they are cashing in on their forthcoming FA Cup tie with Manchester United by doubling their normal ticket prices. Cue uproar about exploitation, though not from Cobblers fans. It came instead from United supporters, who were promptly chastised by their Northampton counterparts for moaning.

"We can understand why Northampton would want to maximise the revenue from this game but we feel they are being unreasonable in charging United supporters that kind of money," said Mark Longden of the Independent Manchester United Supporters' Association. "One of the main reasons we look forward to games like this is that we get a different kind of atmosphere and match-day experience than we do at a Premier League game, including lower ticket prices."

Seats at Old Trafford typically cost between £23 and £31 when available, which is rare.

David Linnell, the chairman of the Northampton Town Supporters' Trust, which has strived for years to keep the financially troubled club solvent, took the complaint lightly.

"Coming from supporters of Manchester United, one of the richest clubs in the world with some of the richest fans, I find this criticism a bit rich," he said. "If they don't want to pay the prices, then don't come.

"I expected the prices to be increased. It's a very special cup tie and as a one-off I'm happy to accept it.

"This time last year the whole future of our club was uncertain, we were taking bucket collections, doing whatever we could to keep going. Since then we've got new owners who are investing and they're in the process of buying off the ground, but we appreciate how difficult things can become financially."

Northampton expect to make around £400,000 from the match, with about £250,000 coming from television rights, but there will be extra costs for stewarding and policing. Extra merchandise and catering sales - including prawn sandwiches for the away fans, presumably - should boost it. >>

I think that you get a hell of a lot more than £100'000 for a 4 round Televised appearence, it may be closer to £500'000!!

Or maybe nearer £250,000, Tom?

From Dave L's post (just above yours!)

Sounds like the Northampton fans are being quite understanding according to today's Independent. Love the comment about prawn sandwiches:

Northampton expect to make around £400,000 from the match, with about £250,000 coming from television rights

Or maybe nearer £250,000, Tom?

Its beggars belief that people like this will be representing us lot on the Fans Committee! :P

Then again I should of done better with my guess of £200,000. The Cobbler I spoke to today said that them and Man ure would be splitting the TV rights of £500,000... :D

They Will Probably Up All The Food And Merchandise ie Burgers, Programmes Prices Up On That Day As Well!
I've heard they're charging £6 for a special commerative programme for the occasion.

I think they should charge people who have season tickets their normal prices, and then charge £30 to the part-timers who are only turning up to see Man Utd, and probably won't ever go again.

Archived