IGNORED

Promotion And New Players

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

Surely if we get promoted then you have to stick wih the majority of the players and give them a chance. If you look a teams who have gone up in consectutive years ie Rotherham or done very well first season in Div 1 ie Reading they have tended to stick with the same squad of players. Also Plymouth only got promoted to Div 2 2 seasons ago and they also seem to have kept the majority of the same squad.

What I'm trying to say is that by getting promoted you have been a succesful team. All the players know the others playing style and one of the oldest sayings is if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

I remember the last time we went up (long time ago I know) we spent millions on players and a lot of new signings went into the team and what was the result of that season!!

I think there is a case for giving a lot of the current crop of players the opportunity in Div1.

1. I think players standards rise when they meet better opposition, the cup games

are an example of that.

2. All the players would be an "unknown" to most of the opposition.

3. Some players can surprise you, when we got into the old 1st div there were several players who weren't expected to do well that performed far better.

The good players will learn lessons quickly, things like;

don't give the ball away if you want to see it again in a hurry

score to chance ratio has to be better etc.

I think we have a nucleus of players who could do pretty well in Div 1. But we do need to bring in players with experience of playing at that level to complement our youngsters. I think we would need three players in the key spine positions. Central defence, centre midfield and striker. Players in their mid to upper 20's with a record of achievement at a higher level.

Without those players, I think we would struggle.

Agree with Dave L. I think we'd struggle with the side we have now, i'm pretty certain we'd stay up, but we'd be in the lower reaches of the table.

We have a nueclues that is good enough, but that has to be supplemented with a few expirenced players.

1. expirenced div 1 defender, an old hand, someone who can perform at that level and can organise. A fully fit Sean Dyche mabye ?

2. An expirenced striker, to help our younger ones along, Geoff Horsfield may well be up for sale if West Brom go up, as i'm not sure if they will keep him. Or mabye even a cheekey bid for Lee Hughes, as if he gets sent down for a couple of months, will West Brom want him ? Would we want him ?

3. Cover for Phillips, i think he is easily god enough, but i'm almost definate his performances would imporve greatly if he had some competition, as it is no matter how hard he tries he knows his place is almost certain, and although he wouldn't do it deliberatly, there is probably a little bit of complacency starting to creep in.

4. An old hand in midfield to play alongside Wilkshire, and to in the semi long term replace tinman's expirence. We won't replace his ability, as it can't be done unless oyu are going to spend mega bucks, or you are lucky enough to find someone as one footed as tinman.

A fully fit Sean Dyche mabye ?

Fully fit and Sean Dyche don't go in the same sentence as far as BCFC goes although he did make a miraculous recovery for a season at Millwall!

Millwall bombed him out and so have Watford so he wouldn't be my choice.

I said the other day 3/4 just to stay up without fighting off relegation from day one and 4/7 if we are really looking to have a go.

3/4 GK, Central Midfielder like Marsden at Soton and Two good strikers.

4/7 Add a classy centre half and another creative, goal scoring midfielder.

Kids like Fortune, Amankwaah, Hawkins, Lita & Brown will really need to come through or go.

Archived