IGNORED

What Has Our Stadium Been Used For ?

Guest redrobin108

Guest redrobin108

Having a discussion with some mates last night, trying to work out what the stadium has been used for, came up with the following

Football

Rugby

Cricket

Rolling Stones

Billy Graham

Other concerts

Anyother suggestions ?

Guest BTR_FTG

****in' Show Jumping & boy did it ruin the pitch...

TV programme production - ALL IN THE GAME & yes I did go & see Dickie Davies...

BTR

FTG

we used to have bowling under the Dolman Stand.

Ummm...also TV- Casualty was once filmed there and Only Fools and Horses uses the Winterstoke Road car park.

But I'm not sure about football...I can't remember ever watching football there. Seen a poor attempt at something similar since I started supporting City in 1990 but not much but not football I don't think. :Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin.:

Wasn't "Its's a Knockout" staged at the Gate once? Pity we can't get Stuart Hall down here these days with his wheezy laugh!

Scooter Red

We had an Evel Knievel daredevil show at AG once, I remember. Motor bikes jumping over buses , that sort of thing. I remember during that show a little thin guy doing a dive off a high board into a bowl of 2 feet of water. Does anyone remember when we had parachutists dropping into the ground and one landed on that spiked fence that used to be in front of the Williams stand enclosure? He turned out to be OK but I recall seeing Harry Dolman, City's legendary Chairman at the time looking very worried as the guy was extricated from the railings.

Guest Huddersfield Red

I remember there was once a women's lacrosse international as pre-match entertainment - England v Wales or Scotland.

Also, Ashton Gate has been used by criminals on many occasions as a place to make their escape. They always fall into the same trap of dropping an item of clothing thus allowing the savage police dog to pounce on them just beyond the centre circle.

Guest Old Dazzler

Around 1977/1978 ITV did a series at the Gate based on "Its A Knockout" using League clubs against each other in a sort of round robin tournament. I think it was called "All in the Game". Basically the games would have a squad of six competing against each other doing stuff like dribbling round a series of corner flags and then trying to shoot into a giant paddling pool, variations on "keepy uppy", you get the general idea. I remember City obviously taking part as well as Man City, QPR - I think most clubs were (old) First Division, which we were at the time.

It was taken reasonably seriously by the clubs, who normally sent along their "flair" players who were obviously going to be better at this sort of stuff and I'm sure that the commentary was by Brian Moore, rather than the local option of Piggy Malone.

There is only so much you can do with this sort of format though, and I think that one series was enough.

Anyone else remember this?

Guest SouthGlosRed

I remember being there when 'All in the game' was being recorded. They had to keep stopping the filming because the crowd were singing 'Brian Moore's a w....r' or something like that, and they didn't want it to come out on the telly.

Can also remember the police dogs before the game, and one caught fire trying to jump through a blazing hoop.

And what about the Rockin Robins...............!!

Archived