IGNORED

Message On Tinnions Shirt

Bristol Boy

Tinnion is a $h1thead??

We must be the only club in creation (apart from the Gas adopting Gas as a nickname when it started as an insult!!!) who would adopt a Gas Created Insult into the start of a song, I've complained about that before, but Christ, we only put it on the poor blokes testimonial shirt!!

Imagine the scene in 20 years time when his grand children sit on his knee, sampling a Worthers Original (Ooer Missus) gaze lovingly at his shirt and sing........

"Grampy was a $h1thead..........

I rest my case.

In the words of The Great Victor Meldrew

I don't believe it!! :D

Tinnion is a $h1thead??

We must be the only club in creation (apart from the Gas adopting Gas as a nickname when it started as an insult!!!) who would adopt a Gas Created Insult into the start of a song, I've complained about that before, but Christ, we only put it on the poor blokes testimonial shirt!!

Imagine the scene in 20 years time when his grand children sit on his knee, sampling a Worthers Original (Ooer Missus) gaze lovingly at his shirt and sing........

"Grampy was a $h1thead..........

I rest my case.

In the words of The Great Victor Meldrew

I don't believe it!! :D

There are two designs. Most of them say: '500 games, 11 years, 1 club'. A few of them have 'Tinman is a ###thead' .. the choice of Brian himself.

Buy the one you prefer, or don't buy one at all. It's entirely up to you. Both shirts are proving incredibly popular, and nobody else has complained.

I think that City fans have claimed '###thead* as a positive nickname in the same way that Rovers fans are happy to be called Gasheads. Similarly gay people have reclaimed the word 'queer', and black people can get away with calling each other 'n*gger'.

It's only words.

sorry but your complaint fails to understand how language can be reclaimed and shows you have never really thought about it and the sociology around such issues.

Language reclamation is a way of taking negative conotations out of insults. If we use the word sh1thead ourselves it can't upset us can it. It's FAR FAR FAR better and shows far more intelligence and sense of humour to just adopt it yourself and laugh it off. If you can't do that then you take yourself far too seriously. And I don't want City fans to always take ourselves seriously. Win or lose we can have a laugh and that's what I like about it.

As DaveL said many groups in society have 'reclaimed' words. And no we are NOT the only club to do it. Gasheads call themselves...errr...gasheads and Spurs fans chant 'Yid Army' (in reference to the supposed high number of Jewish Spurs fans). Cardiff sing "sheep shag6ers" and Ipswich call themselves the Tractor Boys.

The Cardiff example is a very good one actually. As a City fan I remember when we were chanting it at them a couple of years back they then started chanting it themselves. We were lost. We couldn't chant that anymore as they were going to just turn it around again. It was actually quite annoying. It's the same thing we've done with the insult sh1thead.

Lighten up!!

PS- didn't mean that as a rant!

There are two designs. Most of them say: '500 games, 11 years, 1 club'. A few of them have 'Tinman is a ###thead' .. the choice of Brian himself.

Buy the one you prefer, or don't buy one at all. It's entirely up to you. Both shirts are proving incredibly popular, and nobody else has complained.

I think that City fans have claimed '###thead* as a positive nickname in the same way that Rovers fans are happy to be called Gasheads. Similarly gay people have reclaimed the word 'queer', and black people can get away with calling each other 'n*gger'.

It's only words.

I understand what you're saying Dave and it's all for a good cause.................................but $h1thead????

Jesus! :)

What are the sizes like Dave?

Is XL actually XL if you get what I mean?

Sorry to answer this on Dave's behalf, but as I'm sitting here and I know the answer, I may as well.

The sizes are on the generous side i.e. Large is more than adequate for the average big-boned fan, XL covers the more generously proportioned amongst us quite comfortably.

sorry but your complaint fails to understand how language can be reclaimed

The complaint is made after taking that into account.

and shows you have never really thought about it and the sociology around such issues.

Understand those issues fully, Percy and please don't be so condecending.There aren't too many football clubs, apart from the obvious, Horfield Vagabonds that have done the same.

For example do Southampton call themselves "Scum or Scummers" just because Pompey do?

Do Burnley sing we are "The Dingles" :D

I can't remember seeing a Police Car with "Filth" or other derogatory comments on it.

Language reclamation is a way of taking negative conotations out of insults. If we use the word sh1thead ourselves it can't upset us can it.

Yes it can. Please don't call me a sh1thead as a term of endearment! :)

Win or lose we can have a laugh and that's what I like about it.

Agree with the sentiment, not the sh1thead bit!

As DaveL said many groups in society have 'reclaimed' words. And no we are NOT the only club to do it. Gasheads call themselves...errr...gasheads and Spurs fans chant 'Yid Army' (in reference to the supposed high number of Jewish Spurs fans). Cardiff sing "sheep shag6ers" and Ipswich call themselves the Tractor Boys.

Whoa Tiger:

Firstly-Tractor Boys in fine and they started the name after hearing opposition fans asking if they came in a tractor.

We've sung songs about Tractors for years and you're right about that.

Yid is hardly a polite term although Yiddish can be on some occasions and the young kids who sing "Yid Army," are probably similar to those yougsters at AG who delight in being a Sh1thead!! There Grandads are probably rolling in their Graves!

Cardiff? Good God man they're Welsh!!

The Cardiff example is a very good one actually. As a City fan I remember when we were chanting it at them a couple of years back they then started chanting it themselves. We were lost. We couldn't chant that anymore as they were going to just turn it around again. It was actually quite annoying. It's the same thing we've done with the insult sh1thead.

Percy, they're Welsh.

Surely a man of your calibre is not suggesting for one minute that we ape.......or is that sheep........the Welsh? :D

The only reason that they had a result at Rourkes Drift was that the Zulus couldn't tolerate their bl00dy singing and buggered off, home!

Lighten up!!

Physician, heal thyself

PS- didn't mean that as a rant!

Yes, you did! :D

It's only words.

I'll complain, as this trip to the Clubshop to buy a Tinnion shirt they only had the 500 games one in stock. I wanted the other one. :) oh well till next time I'm around. Wore the shirt to the pub on Wednesday (watching Elton's team vs. Chelsea) and some one actually knew who he was (the token Luton fan).

Archived