IGNORED

Meet Alfie Rowles On Saturday

Guest december 1963

Guest december 1963

Alfie who ?? If you are a Season Ticket holder go and meet Alfie Rowles on Saturday at the "Meet the Legends" session. He is one of our major unsung centre forwards. I don't have my little anorak book a City facts next to me at work so I will probably get some of the following details wrong.

He joined our team in around 1937. We had a goodish team but in the days when only the top team was promoted out of Division 3 South (playoffs not even a glint of an idea) it was hard to come top and we were struggling with a lack of goals. He made his debut late on in the season and I seems to recall that the match before his debut attracted just 6,000 people. But he set City alight, scoring something like 16 goals in the first half dozen games he played for us - still a record in England for a league debutant's first 6 games. The crowds suddenly sensed what was possible with this guy at centre forward. The next game was watched by 10,000, then 16,000 for the one after, then 20,000 and so on. Eventually when mid table Cardiff City arrived at Ashton Gate in March, the ground was bursting at the rafters with 36,000. My late Dad told me that he was taken to the City v Cardiff game - the oly time he evr went to Ashton Gate. Sadly we lost 1-0 at home to Cardiff - the first match in which Alfie played but did not score - and that defeat was the one result which cost us the Championship.

The next year he sustained an injury in about our sixth game and was out for a long while. I never did find out what the injury was. He made two or three attempts to come back but had to give up. Then came the second world war and the rest is history as they say. He possibly played no more than 20 games for us but he was a star and he deserved a long playing career. Bet even the Cider Gliders would have trouble rememerbing that far back !

Some of you will want to meet John Galley and Gerry Gow and maybe even Don Clark but do use the opportinity to meet Alfie Rowles. I feel really cheated. Last year I was a Season Ticket holder and could have met Alfie and all these other guys - this year I am not and so miss out.

But P.S. - I have a good feeling about Saturday. We're on a roll, the players are up for it, its the centenary, its Brian T's 501st, the Esat End will be singing as of old and we (you) can meet the legends. It may not be 7-0 this time but we have a good record at home against Chesterfield. Lets go for it

Guest december 1963

Mmmm. Clearly a mistake has been made here. The City website definitely says Alfie Rowles has accepted his invitation and will be amongst the legends on Saturday. But I have just gone on to citystats.org.uk and under R I find that his niece has written a piece about him that says he died 15 years ago. And she should know. So guys, you won't be meeting Alfie on Saturday. Goodness knows from whom the club have received the acceptence. Adam Webmaster - any thoughts ?

Mmmm.  Clearly a mistake has been made here.  The City website definitely says Alfie Rowles has accepted his invitation and will be amongst the legends on Saturday.  But I have just gone on to citystats.org.uk and under R I find that his niece has written a piece about him that says he died 15 years ago.  And she should know.  So guys, you won't be meeting Alfie on Saturday.  Goodness knows from whom the club have received the acceptence.  Adam Webmaster - any thoughts ?
Looked good for 87 to me and a very nice chap - either that or his body double signed my match programme!

Archived