IGNORED

Beat The Gas - Or Avoid Injury

Markman

I have to say I am looking forward to Monday nights game at the mimimal ground - but for some reason it is beginning to become important to me - I want to beat them - but given the choice of winning and getting a couple of long term injurys or losing but coming through injury free is a tough call.

My head say's Injury free - my heart say's let's beat 'em - what do you think?

I have to say I am looking forward to Monday nights game at the mimimal ground - but for some reason it is beginning to become important to me - I want to beat them - but given the choice of winning and getting a couple of long term injurys or losing but coming through injury free is a tough call.

My head say's Injury free - my heart say's let's beat 'em - what do you think?

Lets stuff 'em, it's guarenteed bridges will get crocked anyway!!

Phillips sent the gas down, la la la la chant6ez.gif

It's absolutely no contest - I'd take a defeat and no injuries over a win and injuries. To do otherwise would be nothing short of moronic.

Exactly.

The gas-heads will crow, because, face facts, it will be the highlight of their entire season and it hasn't even started!

Our highlight will hopefully come in many months time when a defeat against the blue few will be a laughable memory! city.gif

Guest CityDuke14

I'm really worried that we will pick up half a dozen injuries.This is the most committed gas side in the last decade(so much so that some of their worst players will not take cash to leave the club).Then of course you have jerks thatwant to run on the pitch and take a swipe at the oppositions goalkeeper if he dare makes a save.

Don't know why Steve Dunn couldn't still referee.I know he failed his fitness test,but he's only got to stand in the gas penalty area for 85 mins(the other 5 minutes will be lost in all the subsitutions.

Have the gas got a keeper yet,or is atkins playing in goal? whistling.gif

Guest sambessey

Avoid injury at all costs. What's more important- having a fully fit squad for 06/08 and having a really good chance of promotion, or beating a bunch of fourth- tier no- hopers?

I just hope that Bridges doesn't get injured by some sag when he makes his debut, worsening his injury record disapointed2se.gif

Guest pentlandsl
I'm really worried that we will pick up half a dozen injuries.This is the most committed gas side in the last decade(so much so that some of their worst players will not take cash to leave the club).Then of course you have jerks thatwant to run on the pitch and take a swipe at the oppositions goalkeeper if he dare makes a save.

Don't know why Steve Dunn couldn't still referee.I know he failed his fitness test,but he's only got to stand in the gas penalty area for 85 mins(the other 5 minutes will be lost in all the subsitutions.

Have the gas got a keeper yet,or is atkins playing in goal? whistling.gif

I just don't understand you lot sometimes. I want City to win EVERY game, but especially against the Rovers.

The chance of injury in this match is no different than when playing e.g. Mangotsfield. If we think our players are so soft they can't play an inferior team without getting crocked then why don't we scrap all of the pre-season friendlies and concentrate on fitness training instead.

The reason we don't is the players need to get 'match smart' and 'match competitive'.

Playing against the Rovers is the IDEAL pre-season friendly, there will be an extra edge to it and the players won't be out for a stroll in the sunshine - the match isn't meaningless like the others. Coupled with the large crowd getting behind their teams (or on their backs if they are losing!) it provides ideal preparation for the coming season - our division has plenty of 'clogging' teams who will look to out-muscle and bully us out of matches, something that was effective against a lightweight City last year.

A taste of that against the Rovers will perhaps give Tinnion a chance to weed out the wimps and the tackle shirkers in the squad - (yes wilkshire, I DO mean you!).

You don't get promoted from Division 3 by being shrinking violets, it takes guts and strength.

Monday will see what progress we hae made over the pre-season regarding being strong and committed.

Guest maccer1

I think this is a foolish game to play so close to the new season. If we come away without any injuries then I will be amazed.

I just don't understand you lot sometimes.  I want City to win EVERY game, but especially against the Rovers. 

The chance of injury in this match is no different than when playing e.g. Mangotsfield.  If we think our players are so soft they can't play an inferior team without getting crocked then why don't we scrap all of the pre-season friendlies and concentrate on fitness training instead.

The reason we don't is the players need to get 'match smart' and 'match competitive'.

Playing against the Rovers is the IDEAL pre-season friendly, there will be an extra edge to it and the players won't be out for a stroll in the sunshine - the match isn't meaningless like the others.  Coupled with the large crowd getting behind their teams (or on their backs if they are losing!) it provides ideal preparation for the coming season - our division has plenty of 'clogging' teams who will look to out-muscle and bully us out of matches, something that was effective against a lightweight City last year.

A taste of that against the Rovers will perhaps give Tinnion a chance to weed out the wimps and the tackle shirkers in the squad - (yes wilkshire, I DO mean you!). 

You don't get promoted from Division 3 by being shrinking violets, it takes guts and strength.

Monday will see what progress we hae made over the pre-season regarding being strong and committed.

I accept some of the points - the fact that the game will have an edge etc may make us sharper for the start of the real campaign - that said we really could do without injuries - I would not put it past the Sag Heads to try and kick lumps out of us and so the sensible option is start with the full team - cruise to 2 goal lead (or more) and then bring on the reserves (all of them) if we lose the second half then so what ?

Guest C.T.I.D
I just don't understand you lot sometimes.  I want City to win EVERY game, but especially against the Rovers. 

The chance of injury in this match is no different than when playing e.g. Mangotsfield.  If we think our players are so soft they can't play an inferior team without getting crocked then why don't we scrap all of the pre-season friendlies and concentrate on fitness training instead.

Playing against the Rovers is the IDEAL pre-season friendly, there will be an extra edge to it and the players won't be out for a stroll in the sunshine - the match isn't meaningless like the others.  Coupled with the large crowd getting behind their teams (or on their backs if they are losing!) it provides ideal preparation for the coming season - our division has plenty of 'clogging' teams who will look to out-muscle and bully us out of matches, something that was effective against a lightweight City last year.

http://www.epost.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nod...tentPK=12885553

this won't be an ordinary friendly according to Disley.

Bridges runs the risk of getting knocked about by an over enthusiastic sag side,it will be an injury nightmare,and Stewart will be a target being ex-sag.

could be just the thing to ruin the season before it has started ranting.gif

Put the kids out tins for gods sake,keep the best for the league praying smiley.gif

Guest BCFCSteve

I am going for avoid injury. I think there should never be a "friendly" derby. You just have to wait for a proper one to come around in the league or cup whether it be every season of every 10 years. I recon a youthful side against the Gas would be the best solution!!

Guest REDCIDERARMY

Yes please Tins same as today is ok,give the youngsters a good taste in a good atmosphere,to play a first team is crazy there is no fiendlys against rovers and then if we do loose we can say it was just our youth team playing,rovers be out to get us injured if they can,just hoipe itsa strong referee who realises its no friendly.

Been on the Rovers' website and they're talking up this Jefferson Louis donkey as the "new Devon White" (they're both black, 7ft and an affront to the beautiful game). As good ol'Devon's only function in that dreary Rovers' side of the early 90s was to inspire confusion in opposition defences with wildly flailing elbows & ##### all ability, this Louis has got a daunting reputation to live up to!!! One of their posts has good as admitted that high balls are going to be raining into our box on Monday night (hoofball indeed), so it looks like numerous facial injuries for our central defenders.......

Been on the Rovers' website and they're talking up this Jefferson Louis donkey as the "new Devon White" (they're both black, 7ft and an affront to the beautiful game).  As good ol'Devon's only function in that dreary Rovers' side of the early 90s was to inspire confusion in opposition defences with wildly flailing elbows & ##### all ability,  this Louis has got a daunting reputation to live up to!!!  One of their posts has good as admitted that high balls are going to be raining into our box on Monday night (hoofball indeed), so it looks like numerous facial injuries for our central defenders.......

I fancy Matt Heywood might have dealt with this sort of stuff before from Steve Howard, Steve Fletcher etc and no-one gets away with the violence that White used to nowadays.

I'd pick a few first teamers but also the more "physical" youngsters such as Brown, Gillespie, Orr (wonder where they are all from?).

Jamie Smith should be a certain starter too.............

Gillespie played well and scored against Sag last season when on loan to Cheltenham. Start with Gilly, he wont back off and will be very keen to impress, especially with our high profile newcomers Stewart and Bridges.

Fast solid starters, bring on the big names at half time.Start with: Phillips, Smith-Carey-Heywood-Golbourne, Cotterill-Wilkshire-Brown-Smith, Brooker-Gillespie.........Stewart, Bridges, Keogh et al can dazzle us in the second half.

I think it's going to be first team in the first half and then chuck out the reserves..............to be honest I think the 1st's will take it steady against them and sit back and let quality show........but in the 2nd half.......

I think this is an excellent chance for the younger players to show how they can handle competetive football against solid old pro's who can get physical.

Too be honest I don't think we will get out of 3rd against them, and still probably win by 4-1???

Should be interesting

I cant believe what I'm reading, why is there all this talk of rovers players coming out to deliberatley injure some city players for? They have hardley any Bristolians in the side so no matter what we think for most of there lot its just another game, And if they do want to mix it then I'm quite sure we have enough players who can respond, i would not fancy being on the end of some of smiths tackles i saw last season.

I bet the game will be fine and we will escape without any deliberate injurys being caused.

Archived