IGNORED

Now Is The Real Test

Percy Parrot

5 wins in a row. Great! BUT if we break down those 5 wins it is actually-

3 home wins- vs 2 teams that are relegation material and 1 that is mid-table.

2 away wins- vs 2 teams that are relegation material

All wins are important- they're all worth 3 points, but none of the last 5 games prove we are good enough to go up.

With sights firmy focussed on a top 2 spot now, but a big gap there and Plymuff and QPR's inability to lose a game, these could be frustrating times for City.

We have proved nothing yet- the next 3 games could be crunch ones. Two tough away trips (this Saturday's one of the hardest games for us between now and the end of the season) and an equally tough home tie. Hartlepool, Colchester and Grimsby are no mugs.

3 points return from these games would be disappointing, 4-5 points would be acceptable, 7-9 points would be superb.

The one thing I am sure of, is that we need to be more than just 'in with a shout' by April. We need to be really in the mix with points to spare because from March 27 to the end of the season we have away trips to Port Vale, Swindon, Luton and Barnsley while visitors to Ashton Gate are QPR, Plymouth, Brighton and Blackpool. We couldn't ask for a harder last 8 games and need to be prepared to drop points in those games.

3 points return from these games would be disappointing, 4-5 points would be acceptable, 7-9 points would be superb.

Agree next 3 games key (well I guess they all are really)!

Need at least 5 points, but would hope we can do better. Draw at Hartlepool would be a good result in many respects (might sneak a win if we show same determination we have been lately).

Other key match will be Brentford at beginning of Feb - looking forward to that one.

Then bring on April!!

5 wins in a row. Great! BUT if we break down those 5 wins it is actually-

3 home wins- vs 2 teams that are relegation material and 1 that is mid-table.

2 away wins- vs 2 teams that are relegation material

Chesterfield are still one of the "form" teams in Div 2 (6th) even with 2 defeats in the last 6 games. They are the only team to beat Barnsley at home this season and comfortably held Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Lets just savour the wins instead of looking for clouds in every silver lining. Forget the last 8 games. The only one that matters is the next game.

Hmmmmmmmmm, nope, I will go for a win on Saturday because:

a) we have done well at the majority of clubs with decent home records (PA, BHA, QPR)

B) they are the kind of team we can hit on the break with the pace we now have in abundance.

c) they are not as good as most have been making out and certainly had a far better opening two months to the season than the second two.

I think that a draw at Hartlepool would be a good result.

Then again the same kind of "by-the-skin-of-our-teeth" away win like at Notts County or Brentford would be quite useful!

I would be reasonably happy with a point at Hartlepool and Grimsby, and a home win against Colchester.

I will start to believe that we can automatic promotion if we show enough resilience to get 7 points from these games. BUT, and it's a big BUT, I'm not of the opinion that Plymouth will drop away. We will have to go on a remarkable unbeaten run to overhaul them.

Here's hoping :)

Archived