IGNORED

Strange Observation About Saturdays Atmosphere

mightyreds89

On Saturday I sat in Block G of the Dolman so the niose created by the city fans in the east end was blocked off by the Stand wall that I was sat next to but I have to say just after half time I was at the ateyo end of the Dolman returnign from the bar and was quite impressed by the volume coming from the east end even though there were not massive numbers in their...!

This is then where the starnge observation kicks in the majority of Ateyo singers I understand were in the East end for this game but on occasions the Ateyo sounded louder than it normally would if they were in there...!

Do you think that this was due to the east end creating some noise..!

I think with 4-5,000 city fans in therre we would be defening but I cannot see to many people being tempted back there wish they would??? The gate would be great...!

mightyreds89, your observation is correct.

I sit in the GWR Stand towards the Atyeo End and there is no doubt the chanting from the Atyeo was noticeably louder than usual.

It may have been partly the lack of the band but it was mostly the chants generated from the East End being taken up by those in the Atyeo.

Strange that one moment they were singing "Can you hear the East End sing, nooo, nooo", and then whenever a chant started up from the East End they were joining in immediately. :)

Guest december 1963

I went in the Esat End becuase it had been 15 years since going there and I wanted some nostalgia. I also wanted to see how the experiment would work. My view is that it worked very well. You have to find ways to give your team the advantage as long as its legal. The 600 of us all sang from the outset. I don't recall any quiet periods at all. Result - second highest score of the season. I couldn't hear any other parts of the ground joining in but that's not surprising. To find out today that other areas were very loud is important. I was goign to write to Steve Lansdown to ask him to continue the experiment but i find the club is already onto it. Good. Not surprsingly SL is maninly concerned about intimidation, criminal damge and supporters standing up so I guess if we want it to work its up to us. True, I'd forgotten how deep the East End is and so how poor the view can be but for me Saturday was like watching football for real again, like 30 years ago. AG has been described as funereal but everyone particpated to ensure that was not so on Saturday. And we ended 4-0. Lesson to learn - give City the advantage - our noise made the difference, there's no doubt in my mind. Now the Club has to build on it, not just make it a pleasant reminiscing afternoon to celebrate our 100th year there, and we have to do what we can to ensure it isn't taken away from us.

Archived