IGNORED

Lee Matthews

Guest Unown

So Matthews makes his home debut for us on saturday, I haven't seen him play yet, but by all acoounts he is doing pretty well.

So simple question really, do you City fans want to see him return to your club or will you be happy for him to leave on a free?(and sign for us :P )

Also any of you thinking of coming down the Mem to see how he's getting on seeing as you are away up north at Hartlepool??

UP THE GAS!

I really hope he does well for you, the guy could do with a bit of luck, but I would not like to have him back, too much of a liabibity whilst he was here.

Time to earn his crust elsewhere.

Well said mate, thats the right attitude to take, afterall he has had bad luck throughout his career.

ps. it's a shame about other contributors to your forum(see above)

Guest Ciderhead Reynolds

You know I'm only messing with you matty ( unown ) :P , i too wich Matthews the best of luck in the future , whether it be at Rovers or anywhere else , you cant blame him for going there I'm sure many others would hav done the same !

I can't seeing him getting a chance here before the end of the season when he's out of contract, barring injuries of course.

I doubt they'll be anything to stop you signing him as long as he stays fit. I wish Lee all the best.

I would gladly take him back, if we needed him. But it seems he is surpluss to requirements, we have loads ahead of him in the pecking order. A FIT matthews will do very well for you.

What little I did see him play I was impressed, had the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I also met him a few times and he seemed really nice, reminded me of your/our Beadle.

Good luck to him, any footballer needs to play. I'm a bit gutted he is turning blue but now Greydon has gone I feel a bit better.

I really hope he remembers that (if he does go to you) that he once once one of us! :)

Guest lydneyred

Don't think he will come back, as he has already said that he knows he's not in DW's plans at the moment and as he has a mortgage etc to pay (as we all do), he needs to find a club that will play him week in week out.

Hope he does do well at the gas though, and that whoever is manager decides to sign him up as he seems settled in Bristol and seems to like it here.

Think the injuries let him down last season and maybe if he'd managed to stay fit then he would be either still playing for us or already signed by another side.

If Matthews were to return to Ashton Gate, got into the team, and started to grab a few goals, then I would not have a problem welcoming him back at all.

As for his contract that is up at the end of the season, if he were to do the above, then I still think that it would be quite a big gamble if the club were to offer him a new contract (for however long it would be). Lee has to look at things in perspective. He is one of the highest earners at the club at the moment, and I seriously doubt that us, Rovers, or any other club will offer him more money (or as much) as what he is currently on here. His biggest problem will be the fact that he has spent a considerable amount of his time here out injured :) .

I wish him well whatever he does when his contract expires, no matter which club he may end up at (yes even the Gas). He has been unfortunate, although some may argue that some of the injuries have not been helped by his fitness.

So Matthews makes his home debut for us on saturday, I haven't seen him play yet, but by all acoounts he is doing pretty well.

So simple question really, do you City fans want to see him return to your club or will you be happy for him to leave on a free?(and sign for us :P )

Also any of you thinking of coming down the Mem to see how he's getting on seeing as you are away up north at Hartlepool??

UP THE GAS!

It looks like Matthews has no future at City, so much as many of us would have liked him to have come good here ( he's shown real potential when fit) he's going to have to find another club.

He cost City 100k. so i wouldn't want to see him go to the gas for nothing.

He turned down a loan move to Rovers when the opportunity first arose. If he does well enough to attract attention from other club's, (especially up North) he will probably go to for one of them. May end up back at Leeds the way things are going. :)

I can only see him signing for Rover's as a last resort.

Bit like the rest of your squad really. :P

I would gladly have him back especially if he has managed to stay injury free and got some 1st team experience and a decent level of match fitness.

That said, I don't think he will return. I fully suspect him to either stay with you or go instantly on loan somewhere else if you don't want him for the rest of the season.

All I can say is good luck to him and I hope he can finally play football without these injuries hampering the majority of his season each year. Everybody needs to make a living and needs to take whatver they can get.

Guest BTR_FTG

I hope you sign the Weeble on a five year deal & that the engorged, useless mass tweaks his back getting out of the chair with his cross still drying on the contract. Hopefully Lardo'll prove to be Greydoom's parting gift towards your cowardly board. Either way for us footballing aficionados it's a win/win situation. He's sick, you're paying his wages to grow fatter. He's fit, you've a immobile, non-scoring tub of lard up front. Result in anybodys book.

BTR

FTG

Lee Matthews flattered to deceive whilst he was here; he showed touches of promise but he was far too inconsistent and his fitness was a big question mark, not helped in my opinion for being carelss about what he ate or drank. The fact he was overweight didn't help his cause and I think it was a bad buy from DW overall. Won't be sad to see him go.

UP THE GAS!

no.... keep the ruddy turn coat :P

if he comes back here he will need de-gasing to much

time in the treatment room again if you ask me :)

I feel sorry for the guy and I think he has had a bit of a raw deal both in terms of injury and treatment from the fans (no pun intended). I for one do not think he has deserved some of the personal comments that have been directed at him and about him by some people on this forum who purport to be City fans.

When he has been fit (and that has been the big problem) he has shown potential and he does not have a bad goal scoring record.

He also appears to be a bubbly sort of character and I imagine he is good to have around the club. Pretty much in the same way as Beadle was.

He is down the pecking order here and perhaps a move is in the best interests for City and Matthews. Whatever the outcome I would like to wish him well.

I would gladly have matthews back if fit, he is a very good player. he is much like Beadle was for rovers only a lot better technically. Not only is he an out and out goalscorer when he has a run, he also creates one hell of a lot of goal as well.

I wish him luck at Rovers and would actually like to see him sign permanently there, just so i can still see him play on soccer sunday, as he is a player i have great admiration for.

Guest Bigdave60
Don't think he will come back, as he has already said that he knows he's not in DW's plans at the moment and as he has a mortgage etc to pay (as we all do), he needs to find a club that will play him week in week out.

Hope he does do well at the gas though, and that whoever is manager decides to sign him up as he seems settled in Bristol and seems to like it here.

Think the injuries let him down last season and maybe if he'd managed to stay fit then he would be either still playing for us or already signed by another side.

In todays Western Daily Press, Dany Wilson left the door open for Lee. He said that it was still possible tha Lee could get a contract next season if he proves his fitness at Rovers

I'm sad it has come to this in a way because the first thing I think of about Matthews was when he came on as sub on his debut and was determined he was taking that penalty versus Millwall.He certainly slotted it home with confidence.you had to take your hat off to him for doing that in a high pressured game against a team that were then promotion rivals

• Admin

If the Lee Matthews, who Leeds fans rated highly, who was obviously rated highly by the people who signed him and who has shown in the very few games that he has played whilst fuly fit. Can:

1) Shake off the injury jinx

2) shake off the tales of 'lifestyle' (as per Lee Peacock) problems

3) show the undoubted talent he has, over a season

Then the answer is a resounding YES, he has the ability to be the best striker at the club since 'Super' Bob Taylor, but his injury problems need putting behind him (it can happen - Doherty has spent a lot his career injured!!) and we need a full and honest comitment from him.

If the above is achieveable, I have no idea, but if it is, we will have a genuine natural strking talent on our books.

Hope he does well at the Gas, shows all what he is capable of and then comes back to City and continues the good form. He certainly deserves some good luck for once and from what I saw of him play he would be a real asset wherever he ends up.

Guest cider gliders

We won`t mind if he comes back to us, he alway`s

played ok for the city! scored some crackin` goals

too! Enough as already been said about his injurys,

but if he stays fit he`s a ruddy good player!

Good luck to him! :P

132922.JPEG

Guest Lockerman

All in all Sick Note has the potential to be a good striker and I for one would take him back if he can get rid of the Sick Note Tag that he carries around with him, you could say he is a bit of a character like Beadle was and you need your characters in the club to :D keep up the moral when things aren't so good.

He'll do ok for you lot if he stays fit!!! chances of it? ah now there you have need of a crystal ball.......

Its unlikely he'll be back here, but we should get something for him, not a free...

Hell freezing and over in a sentence with me and the Mem applies I'm afraid, only time would be as a Cider-Red

hope you stay up though.......

I would have him back, he is a good player, and when fit has looked as good a striker as we have.

hope he scores lots of goals for the rovers, gets over his fitness side and comes back to us towards the end of the season to put pressure on our remaining forwards.

Archived