IGNORED

Playoffs

gater2

Unlike other years when I really felt like the playoffs would be a complete lottery (like last year) with form before meaning nothing, IF we don't catch Ply**##h or QPR, and we can keep the majority of players fit I think we should be the obvious favourites to win them. There aren't any teams I wouldn't be very confident of beating over two legs in this league, and then in the final.

If we are in them, we'd be the only team who would have had experience from them last year (Oldham too far down, won't get in, Baadiff in div 1 and if we're in the playoffs, QPR will be up already). Some of the other teams we might be playing against would probably find it hard to fill their allocation the final (e.g. Colchester, Port Vale, Hartlepool). Plus having had the experience of a Millenium Stadium final last year, I think our players would be well equiped to stand the pressure better than other teams.

Evidently I'd much prefer a top 2 finish (which can/will still happen!), but unlike last year I won't be biting my nails as much if we don't quite make it; and also playoffs are much more fun, aren't they! :P

In my experience the play offs are only fun if you do not support one of the teams playing - they are great for the neutral fan but b***dy hard on the nerves if your team is in them. It was bad enough against Cardiff last time, but a play off final with City in it!!!!!! Scary stuff. It would only be fun when the final whistle had gone and we were the winners :D

"PLAY-OFFS, NOT SCARED"

I have that same strange feeling. Probably for the first time ever of there being nobody to fear in our league. Not only have we actually picked up points against our nearest rivals (Bar Vale :D ) We actually don't give much away (probably a first too!) which our defensive record shows (You know that eerie alien feeling of "we could play these all day and they won't score against us") Also breaking a number of hoodoos that perilously hampered previous bids of promotion have boosted confidence while still knowing we haven't hit anywhere near top gear yet!

Please Note: Has touched wood since post.

Guest Filton Red

I'm thinking the same, IF Plymouth and QPR go up 1 and 2, I think our boys will want to prove something after last year and have more determination than anyother team to go up. Knowing that (us) the fans would make they life hell if they lost 2 years running in the play-offs.

Guest Red Sinjen

The play offs always have been and always will be a complete lottery, how you can say City will win them with their past record on them is beyond me. Through out the years that the play offs have been in operation and in all the divsions that have been using them, how many times has the 3rd placed or even 3rd best team gone on to win them. Lets just use last years Div 2 as an example, we outplay Cardiff home and away in the league, we gain more points then them to finish 3rd. Not that I need reminding but who got promotion to DIV1??? This kind of outcome is more the norm then the exception.

We need to be in the top two and that is all there is to it. If we make the play offs again, then its lottery time. (If we do make the play offs, lets finish 6th, 3rd place team never win the darn things). It has to be said though the best way to go up would be with the financial gain from three play off matches.

Archived