IGNORED

City Tru N through?

bobby

All this talk about Leeds players and their commitment to the club, example of Alan Smith who wants to stay there but might have to leave, players kissing club badges on shirts when they score a goal etc.

Who have we got at City who is City through n through - who gives their all week in week out and has the same passion and commitment as all those fans who support the club?

Apart from Tinnion who fits the bill? :D who has shown that level of commitment recently?

Maybe Matt Hill/Phillips fit the bill :D :Confused13: maybe others?

How important is it to the team/Club/maangement that we have Bristol players from the local area in the team?

We are lucky we seem to have a good mix of home grown talent and others brought in who love the club and are commited to it :D but who doesn't fit that image?

Being professionals I am sure they all give it everything.

Saying that, the players for me who by their facial expressions and general attitude appear to play with their heart firmly on their sleeves are Coles, Burnell and Carey (Tins is a given).

As for not fitting that image; can't think of anybody. People will point fingers here at players like Aaron as he rearely shows much emotion; I don't see it; I think he maybe suffers a bit from "switching off" in the latter stages, but i'm sure is City through and through and probably hurts inside when he has had a bad 'un.

Roberts may spring to people's minds as well; probably more for his love of Cardiff than his attitude. I think in general he battles and runs very hard and is eager to improve.

Personally, I could never have a problem with somebody showing emotion/feelings toward their home-town team; after all, we all do it most saturdays!

Tommy Doherty, Could've easily signed for a 1st division club on a bosman in the summer but put pen to paper on a 3 year deal. Joe Burnell, Clearly shows a great passion playing for city as does Matty hill. Danny Wilson obviously recognises this and is probably why they have all featured as captains

How important is it to the team/Club/maangement that we have Bristol players from the local area in the team?

I'm convinced having local players in the side makes a difference. The most successful City squad of the modern era was packed with Bristolians - Cashley, Merrick, Collier, Rodgers, Drysdale, Tainton, Fear, Garland, Mabbutt...

On the other hand, one of the worst periods for me was that run during the mid-late 80's (I think) when it seemed like we hadn't beaten Rovers for years; 'Will You Ever Beat The Gas?' was their cry and for once, it was a fair question. At that time their side included plenty of local players - cloggers and hoofers to a man, of course, but when it came down to the local derby our superior skill and finnesse came off second best to their passion.

Of course you expect nothing less than 100% effort from any proffessional player in every game, but I think there are some factors - pride and passion - that can drive a player above and beyond maximum endeavour.

Isn't Hartlepool, like Stoke Gifford, Filton, Kingswood etc. slightly beyond the boundaries of Bristol?

Pretty sure that's where Speedy Drysdale came from. :D

Agree with your point though. As well as Bristolians aplenty we also had adopted Scottish Bristolians in Ritchie and Gow as well as Brummie Whitehead who came to us as youngsters and were City through and through.

Plus of course the prodigal son Cheese who came back from Norwich.

The gas went for Welsh players to supplement the locals, to good effect. These days they have hardly any Bristolians and are a hotch-potch of last resorters from all corners of Britain who make their continued decline happily assured.

If the club is in the blood, like with most of our players in the 70's and now, they are likely to play above themselves individually and collectively while wearing a Red shirt.

That's got to make a difference.

Archived