IGNORED

They're Not Servants

Guest maxie

I see in tonight's Evening Post that the bloke who caught Tinman's 500th appearance shirt when it was thrown to supporters after the Notts County game describes Brian as being a great "servant" to the club. I hate that term. Players are not servants. This is the 21st century for crying out loud. The days of masters and servants are long gone. Players are players - vital to the club and its well-being. Let's give them the respect they are due.

Surely the definition of a servant is one who serves? Not necessarily meaning a slave; after all, servants do exist in this day and age; Civil Servants serve the state in a paid capacity, and servants of the royals serve them through paid employment. They are hardly downtrodden serfs.

Would you like your employer to describe you as a servant of your firm? Is Kenneth Branagh a servant of the theatre? No, of course not. This term is peculiar to football and goes back to the forelock tugging days of baggy shorts and the leather ball. We should kick it out

Why? There is no malice in it, its merely an expression. There is no undertone of INTENT, and people don't kick up a fuss when they are described as using it. They have the right approach to it, treat it as an expression and that's all. There's no harm in it.

Its silly to suggest kicking it out, along the lines of kick racism out. Racism is one thing, but a figure of speech that NOBODY IN THE GAME WORRIES ABOUT is another altogether. Lets drop the suggestion.

Guest redrobin108
I see in tonight's Evening Post that the bloke who caught Tinman's 500th appearance shirt when it was thrown to supporters after the Notts County game describes Brian as being a great "servant" to the club. I hate that term. Players are not servants. This is the 21st century for crying out loud. The days of masters and servants are long gone. Players are players - vital to the club and its well-being. Let's give them the respect they are due.
Tinnon has been a great servant for the club.

He has served up some great performances for us fans.

He has served up of the great moments in our history with his goal against Liverpool.

He has served up another great moment with goals against Rovers.

Guest BTR_FTG

Somewhat pedantic eh Maxie? Doubtless, like me, the shirt catcher would also describe Bristol City as being 'MY' club though if he's anything like me strictly speaking that amounts to about three quarters of one of the uprights. Tins has 'served' my club magnificently. He has effectively been employed to do my work for my club. "Great Servant," you bet you sweet ar*e that's what he's been & there's not one iota of disrespect in that....

BTR

FTG

Archived