IGNORED

Tinman's Torrid Time

Guest Old Dazzler

Guest Old Dazzler

The "recent" news item on the main site, exclusively lifted from last Saturday's Well Red, gives Tinman's version of the time when he was not quite as popular as he has been for the last few years.

Brian sites the time as being just after the infamous booing of Russell Osman after RO had scored a goal when player manager. The reason for Osman being booed was not so much that City were having a barren time, more the fans strained relationship with the manager who could not find a place for a certain Polish superstar from another planet.

I reckon the incident was around the beginning of the 93/94 season when, as he states, Brian was pretty new to the club. It would have been some months before Tinman scored the winner at Anfield when Osman was still manager, all was forgiven for the time being as far as Osman was concerned, but if Tinman had received any bad treatment from the fans before Anfield, it must have been kept pretty quiet. There was certainly no question of Tinman's goal being considered as "a goal to silence the boo-boys"; indeed he scored with an excellent free kick against Charlton in the 5th round and, although we went out of the FA Cup at that stage, I recall Tinman being a very popular player through most of Osman's reign.

My recollection of events is that things started to turn sour in the 1994/95 relegation season, during which Joe Jordan took over from Osman, the team in general played badly throughout the season and Tins was often sidelined and, in truth, his form was poor. It was suggested by the media that things had got so bad with some idiotic fans being abusive to Tinman and his family that a move was on the cards - how true that is I don't know. But this was all happening around 1994-1996 when Osman was long gone from the club (although later to return during Benny's reign). Why Tins was singled out for abuse more than anyone else, I never really knew - but as the boo-boys only appeared to have backed down by the 1996/97 season, if his version of events is correct (and I'm sure they are not) then he must have had a pretty miserable first 3 years at the club.

Anyone else remember these times?

Guest redrobin108

I do remember, certain stories do the rounds about Tinnon or a member of us family being spat at in Town. How true is anyone's guess.

I had heard stories of Brian's family being spat at in the street and (it is alleged) after one game he went into the sponsor's lounge and was asked "Why don't you break a leg".

If all this is true, then to stick with City shows a great deal of integrity, dedication and loyalty. Thank you Brian.

From what I remember Tinnions (then) wife was said to not like it down here. She was insettled and homesick and wanted to go back to Newcastle. This in turn was natrually unsettling Tins and he bore the brunt of it from the fans who believed him to be deserting us. It was reported in the paper about his wife being spat on whilst out shopping. I don't remember anything else reported after, maybe those involved were shamed by their actions? It seemed things settled down and improved...and the rest of course is history!

Guest TryAgain

I can clearly remember a fairly large crowd in front of me in the lower Willims,that were always on Tins back and they always called him Shirley.

At the time he wasn't playing that well, but anyone with half a brain should have been able to realise that his ability, and football brain in particular put him head and shoulders above anyone else in the side.

It really was savage, particularily when he came over to get the ball for a throw in. I wonder if those people, and they know who they are, would be prepared to stand up today and admit it, because they must surely now realise how wrong they were.

Archived