IGNORED

Match Ratings

Godzilla

Phillips - 7 - Kicking good, not a chance with the header, but chose to punch rather than make a simple catch in the first half which put us under pressure. Didn't do too much wrong though!

Carey - 6 - Much better today, he was average.

Coles - 8 - Very good solid performance. Much better without the liability Butler at his side, good in the air and excellent on the deck.

Hill - 8 - Very good when moved to the centre today. Like Coles, good in the air and excellent with the ball at his feet.

Woodman - 7 - Excellent first half, made some good tackles and offered himself when going forward. Faded as the game went on, but deserves another start on Tuesday night.

Goodfellow - 8 - Caused Hartlepool all sorts of problems, and they resorted to doubling up on him by the end. Dragged them all over the place. Not helped by the fact he always has to cut in as a left footed player playing on the right wing, but can't fault him today.

Doherty - 8 - Did really well. Always involved in attacking and defensive duties, battled well and distrubution was generally good. Got up to support the attacks as much as possible which is another big positive. Looks fitter and sharper than ever.

Tinnion - 7 - An ironically quieter game today. Took his goal well, more on that later. He was more involved with ball winning and breaking Hartlepool down than the creative side of things as he was given little time on the ball, but used it well when he had to.

Brown - 7 - Much improved. Looked lively and interested, and offered pace and a better attacking option down the left. Please please please keep it like that.

*MOM*Miller - 9 - I don't want to go over the top here, I'm on a natural high, but Millers 2nd half performance was on another level to what he's showed so far. His first touch is another class, he wins 80/90% of what he challenges for, and if he keeps performing like that the goals will come. Excellent doesn't do his 2nd half performance justice.

Peacock - 8 - Took his goal well, looked lively and always full of running, he and Miller are building up a real understanding and linked up ever so well 2nd half.

Summary:

First half we had to ride the storm somewhat. Hartlepool are a good footballing side who don't resort to hoofing the ball aimlessly. They kept the ball on the floor and tried to open us up like that, which made for an entertaining game.

We limited them to few chances despite them having the lions share of possession in the first half, and we always looked dangerous on the counter attack. The 2nd half, however, was a different story. We dominated from the off, playing quick passing football, keeping the ball down, and creating chances.

Brian Tinnion was unlucky to see his 25 yard free kick brilliantly turned over by the keeper, however, it wasn't long before we got the goal our play deserved, with Peacock finishing well on his weaker foot when through on the keeper.

Hartlepool began to play their way back into the game and scored from a free header off another set piece, and there was little Phillips could do about it. Dissapointing to conceed another goal in such a sloppy manner, a department we still need to improve in.

But we came back stronger, and Brian Tinnion hit one of the goals of the season. As the ball was played inside a quick one-touch passing move developed, Miller flicked to Peacock who layed off for Tinnion to smash home into the corner from 20 yards. The build-up and the finish wouldn't have looked out of place at a higher level, that's for sure.

At 2-1 we continued to create, Lee Miller wonderfully controlled before sending a flying volley past the post. Aaron Brown forced the keeper into a tip over when a better first touch would've left him with a simpler task, he was well placed. Doherty stung the keepers hands from distance with a volley, and Aaron Brown fired across the face of goal when a foot either side would've found Miller with a tap in, or the far bottom corner of the net.

Hartlepool got into some good situations, but again failed to produce the finish, or indeed produce the final ball needed to open up a stubborn City defence.

We ended the game on-top and rampent. Goodfellow pulled them about, Miller led the line and linked up superbly with Peacock upfront.

I will not get carried away about the result, and we must build on this by beating Colchester on Tuesday night, a task which can't be taken lightly.

However, the 2nd half performance was among the best of the season, and through-out the team there were excellent performances, from the back to the front. The results have been positive, as we now need to build on 6 consequetive wins, but now we're starting to play like a team who can do something in this Division.

Win on Tuesday night and things look very good for us. Become complacent and fail to win, and the hard work done today will seem pointless.

Thorough report and nothing like the radio commentary! who refered to Millers performance in much less glowing terms.

They rated Peacock highly along with Danny Coles.

The Sky reporter who gave updates on the TV this afternoon must have been a H'pool fan.He gave the impression that City weren't in the game and it was an injustice that City won 2-1.

Good to get a first hand report from die-hard City fan...

To be fair to Hartlepool they would have deserved to be in front before the break as they were by far the better side, but it's all about taking your chances at the time, and thankfully they didn't, second half we got into them from the start and played very well for the rest of the half, took our chances, and the rest as they say is history, felt we could have scored again if they had got another equaliser as we were opening them up at will.

Their number 5 centre half looked good, bald headed guy, never missed anything in the air and had good feet and a football brain.

Guest Grannyjoy

:D I too must add my thanks for your match report. I also made the trip to Hartlepool today, (169 miles there and 169 miles back) and felt our second half performance was superb. For personal reasons I was delighted to read your opinion of Millers game, as the constant talk of his recent lack of goals can be doing nothing for his confidence.

A good forward does more than score goals, and I feel he proved that today.

Also I would like to praise the fans who never stopped their verbal support throughout the game, even if I had to have much of it translated.

Phillips - 7 - agree

Carey - 6 - yep, but as you say- still not great.

Coles - 8 - Yep- played very well.

Hill - 8 - Looked good but could have cost us the win with that 'hand ball'

Woodman - 7 - Bit too positive- I am a fan of his, but at times today he wasn't with it and lost his man.

Goodfellow - 8 - Agree

Doherty - 8 - Agree

Tinnion - 7 - Solid but no cutting passes.

Brown - 7 - Better but still far from where he needs to be. 6.

*MOM*Miller - 9 - He did play really well. Some lovely touches, holding play etc. Leading role in both goals. 9 may be a bit generous, I would say 8 but he was superb.

Peacock - 8 - yep, he played really well too.

Very good performance over all and very good result.

Hartlepool are a good footballing side who don't resort to hoofing the ball aimlessly. They kept the ball on the floor and tried to open us up like that, which made for an entertaining game.

Hmm.... exact opposite to website report...?

Cracking report though mate, cheers!!

Archived