IGNORED

Terrific Result & New Signings

Bristol Boy

That Hartlepool have lost only once before in eighteen months, makes Saturday's result all the better and QPR, if they weren't before, must be looking over their shoulder.

This season H'Poll have mostly drew & won at home at that shows that they've stepped up in class from last season in Div 3.

The last time I went to Hartlepool we stood on an uncovered terrace and lost 1-0 (70th minute Penalty) in the F.A. Cup with Keith Waugh in goal.

The only downside was yet another set piece goal against and that could be the reason DW is looking at a central defender to replace Butler who, let's face it, would get exposed in Div 1 if we go up, although I would still like to see Fortune given a run there.

Defending set pieces is all about attacking the first ball, sometimes at your personal cost and defending the second ball, if it's not cleared.That's why Robbie Turner was our best defender from set pieces when we were promoted under Joe Jordan.

Sean Taylor was another fine example and that's why he scored goals from set pieces as well.

Whilst we have brave defenders in Hill, Coles & Carey, they aren't that type of player and my criticism of Butler has always been that he doesn't dominate enough in either area.

Complacency is still the enemy and all that great work will count for nothing if we don't pick up 3 points on Tuesday.

I'll be going to Grimsby, hopefully on the back of a win and I wouldn't be surprised to be facing a team under new management, given current results.

With LW back soon, we have more cover in midfield and, with the unlucky Simon Clist gone, I agree with DW that another central midfieder, who can score goals, is the right signing as Tinman won't do it, week in week out, for ninety minutes, if we go up.

The best time to bring in new players is when you're winning and new signings will have one eye on a place in a Div 1 team, next season, which makes attracting them easier.DW's signings look like he's looking up the League, not down.

If we can win the next two, I'll really start to believe and, on the basis that Tranmere strung something like 12 wins on the bounce together, last season, it's possible, providing we don't get hit with injuries to key players.

Archived