IGNORED

Twenty Years On

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

Watching Bolton last night playing in Euorpe it took me back 20 years back to our Freight Rover Trophy win over them.I booket a coach for my workmates it was full even Rovers fans came.

I remember on the way to Wembley we stoped at the sevices and could not start the coach up again so in the end we bumpet started it, the drive up the motorway was fantastic full of cars and coaches dect out in City colours.

In those days Wembley was held in orr the Mecca of the Footballing world, but Wembley was in need of a face lift and a bit of a disappontment really.Still it was a great atmosphere and we beat Bolton in a great game of football, watching the players and fans go mad when we lifted the cup one of the best days in my life and the Clubs history.

One of My old dads wishes was to see City in the First and playing at Wembley which he never did. I count myself lucky to have done both

But getting back to last night how has it gone so right for Bolton and so wrong for us.Bolton improving year on year new ground, and now have a team that can hold its own in the prem.

In that time City have gone backwards and are in a sorry mess, just shows what could have been

Guest BrotherErnieFromBarrowGurney

Funny you should post that Ashtonyate, I think the same thing every time I see Bolton in the Premiership. We beat them easily that day and it was a great day out but to be fair to them, they have made a huge amount of progress in the 20 years since. City meanwhile have completely stood still. They have Jay Jay, Campo and The Reebock, we are still struggling to beat Colchester and agonising whether we can afford to replace the nearly eighty year old East End. When will someone come to this football club and wake it up? dunno.gif

Guest Cideriup

I was there too. Absolutely fantastic & one of my best ever City days, certainly since the First Division.

The reason we have stood still, or even gone backwards, stems from the top.

I'm not trying to slag anyone off, but there's no REAL ambition at this club. No one is there with the initiative to take us forward. We seem to be happy being a big fish in a small pond.

Take the current situation, SL has stated that he won't be headhunting anyone, well that rules out virtually anyone with any real promise as at least 90% of the applicants will be currently out of a job. And there's only one reason that they're out of a job to start with.

Why can't a club as potentially big as us, in a City as huge as this find someone with the balls to speculate a little and finally get us moving ?

We all know that if we really got going then the crowds would be huge every week, and with no real competition for at least eighty miles in any direction we could be massive. People in other parts of the country look at us with derision because they can see it too.

If we had to pay another club say £500,000 in compensation for a top class manager (though i don't think we'd have to pay anywhere near that anyway), then that would look like peanuts if he were just to take us up out of this division !

I really fear that we're going to end up with one of old guard who's done the rounds already. Sure they'll arrive with things said like 'oh he has a great track record' bla bla bla , and he probably will have had some success, but there'll be no mention of his bad times. And we'll end up lumbered for another couple of years.

Call me cynical but i've been going down too long not to be.

I still live in hope though, as all football fans have to.

I'd love it though, if just for once SL was to go out and prove me wrong, and turn out to be the man who finally gets this club going.

city.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifcity.gif

Guest ashtonyate
Maybe its the fact that they have a fantastic manager in Sam Allerdyce.

yes they have now but not always, he is a great manager I wonder if he will come

Archived