IGNORED

Where's The Service Goodfellow?

Guest Neo

I keep reading posts about Goodfellow and his two good feet and how he is playing so well and his passing is great and he walks on water at weekends.

Which is fine, cos in general most of this is true. But surely somebody other than me is concerned that he will be completely lost if faced with a quality left back? Goal last night aside, he has hardly attempted anything with his right foot and IS NOT a two-footed player.

Anybody can “swing a peg” at a cross and score occasionally on their weaker side; not many fall down in the process (so I was half right yesterday when I said his right is only for standing on! :) ).

Before the normal crowd jump on me from a great height; this is not a post designed at slating the guy; that would be foolhardy considering what he has achieved since his arrival.

However, he is not a right midfielder. He has not delivered one telling cross (not to be confused with a 5/10 yard pass) into the box as yet, which the currently criticised Miller or the god like Leapy can attack. Twin that with the fact that Aaron seems incapable of swinging one in of late and it’s no wonder Miller isn’t getting on the scoresheet.

There were 2 instances for me last night which highlight the right midfield problem; the first was about 20 minutes in when the left-back forced Goodfellow wide and he tried to take it down the line with his left foot; mis-controlled and skewed out of touch.

The other was the much-cheered back-heel. It looked good, but the fact is it was a similar situation, running up a blind alley on his unnatural side, knew he could not deliver from that position as it would have needed a right foot cross so went back to Carey who delivered from very deep making the keeper's job very simple.

A right footed player would have been able to continue towards the by-line keeping the ball in play on both of these occasions; nothing may have come from them, but that's what we had (and have got) anyway.

I think we are only seeing a fraction of the abilities of Goodfellow on the right. I am sure that if he was on the left, we would still see lots of goals from him but also some quality in to the box from him as well. Wasn’t it Stoke fans who on the rival’s board were telling us of his ability to supply lethal crosses and goals? (we’re only seeing the latter).

I know several people will say that there is nobody who can play on the right (as unlike me, most people think Roberts is tosh their, although he did deliver at least 2 half-decent crosses and a good shot in 20 minutes last night). But whomever you play there, surely service from one side at least is a bonus.

To summarise, the lad is class and frighteningly quick. But he is predominantly left-footed. I fear it will take a couple of games against quality opposition for this to be highlighted and my timing is probably poor as he is winning games with his goals. However, I remain convinced we can destroy teams and keep this run going for a long time with a small shift in midfield personnel and positions; I would love to see: -

(left to right) Goodfellow, Tinnion, Doherty, ANYBODY given just 90 minutes.

If you are not convinced that Goodfellow on the left is the answer; think back to last season. A pacy midfielder on his NATURAL side creating several chances for the strikers and scoring bucket loads in the process; there won't be a lot of difference (other than, of course, the natural side's are opposite! :D ).

Look at Murray he wasn't great at the start of his City career. I think Goodfellow is coming on alright and remember he has only played 4 games, scored 4 goals.
Is it 4 goals already?

I am fully aware of what Murray was like; that is not the point i'm trying to make. The point is Goodfellow is playing out of position an unable to play to his full potential.

Perhaps i'm thinking too far ahead of myself as I suppose my real concern is that Goodfellow will become fully established at right midfield and not be able to have an influence on the game against quality defenders (which presumably is more a Division I type problem)?

Guest Cider_Army

I agree with neo, surely a possible soloution is for Goodfellow on the left and Roberts on the left, "resting" Aaron Brown until he decides whether he is going to play well more often than not (not being mean I rate the guy but he is a tad confusing!)

I would leave Goodfellow where he is.  I think he will do the business, particularly with Wilkshire providing service to him.  I would drop Brown and bring in Bell, who is arguably the best crosser of the ball at the club..  That way we get service from both flanks.
Can't see how you can say we will have service from both sides. What's going to change which means Goodfellow is suddenly going to supply service from the right?; the current players are already picking him out fine; the point is he does not use his right foot for crossing.

It will only come from the left presuming Bell (if he was brought in) can get passed the last defender, which with his lack of pace I doubt.

I still see no solid argument for not switching Goodfellow to the LEFT.

Edit : don't know my left from right anymore; I think a big vein in my head just popped :D

Not only is he showed outdide by all left backs ive seen him play against he is usually double marked in case he does manage to cut in.I suppose it depends on what Danny is asking him to do.Be a right winger? Hardly.

I would swop him for Aaron who flattered to decive again last night and when he went in for a fifty fifty got one of the biggest cheers of night! You cant hide on a footie pitch and Aaron,for all i love him and encourage him, is shy.Mind,Jolly dont look too good in defence.Got caught ball watchin lots last night-who cares when hes knockin em in at other end!!! Scotty couldnt defend either! :D

Guest steve c

Agree with you Neo. Despite what Danny said, Goddfellow is definately not two footed. Cetainly at home would love to see him on the left Roberts on the right possibly switching over if they dont get any joy.

Aarons crossing has always been dreadful and was again last night. At times he just ghosts past people with his pace I just dont know why he doesnt do it more often.

Agree with you Neo. Despite what Danny said, Goddfellow is definately not two footed. Cetainly at home would love to see him on the left Roberts on the right possibly switching over if they dont get any joy.

The switching over is an interesting point; if D.W. insists on Aaron, perhaps him and Marc could do a bit of that now. Large movements at the right time do unsettle defenders. Did anybody notice Leapy and Wendy doing it a couple of times to real good affect early in the 2nd half; Central Defenders did not want to move and were not happy.

Not only is he showed outdide by all left backs ive seen him play against he is usually double marked in case he does manage to cut in.I suppose it depends on what Danny is asking him to do.Be a right winger? Hardly.

Agreed and these in general are poor defenders. He will obviously get away at times (as his 3 goals have shown), however, I fear a quality, pacy left-back working well with his left midfielder within a well organise team (e.g. QPR) would stifle this threat and leave us totally playing through a tight midfield.

Talking about crosses, cant we find anyone else rather than Brown to take the corners. At least 3 didnt make it past the first man, not acceptable!
I don't know why Tins doesn't take them all personally.

If they want in-swingers, then Tommy seems good choice; we could let Matt Hill take them and hope we get something out the throw-in on the opposite side :P

Neo, couldn't agree more!

One thing that worries me though is that he took off Goodfellow last night for Roberts. When Aaron was doing nothing really, why was he not removed with Marc having a go down the left??

Roberts is not a terrible player but he is one of the most "Stupid" footballers I have ever seen. Crosses when he should shoot, shoots when he should cross, cuts in when he should go wide and vice-versa..

He's alright, he's just not good enough for our current squad.

Archived