IGNORED

Standing In The East End

Godzilla

First of all, it was clear to see that in the East End last night practically everyone was standing (which does create a better atmosphere, of course), and it's been stated that this is not allowed.

This probably sounds stupid, but I'm a bit annoyed the stewards made absolutely no attempt to make us sit down. I was even more annoyed to see about 10 Colchester fans also standing up through the duration of the game, as clearly the stewards also made no attempt to inforce the no persistant standing rule against them either.

I anticipate the club will not let us back into the East End due to this persistant standing, but would also like to pose a question to those in authority;

If the stewards could not enforce the rule on our fans due to numbers, why could they not enforce it on the away fans either?

I can only speak from an individual point of view, but if I was asked to sit down, I would've done the sensible thing to do just that. Isn't it somewhat hypocritical of the club to complain about the persistenting standing when they're not even trying to enforce it.

And, if they're expecting 1000 diehard fans intent on creating an atmosphere (best done standing up, of course) to just sit down without even being told, then as with any set of fans of a similar nature in the country, they're expecting miracles to happen.

Thanks to the club for opening it, the past 2 home games have created an electric atmosphere and it's been a fantastic experience.

But I hope they don't shut it because we broke a rule not one steward even attempted to enforce.

Guest BCFC Matt

Mr Draisey made it clear that it was our responsibility to encourage people to sit etc, but like you say, if stewards were to tell people to sit then it would be taken more seriously than a few fans trying to make everyone sit.

Strange this standing business and the club claiming they will be fined etc if they don't enforceit.I watched the liverpool v newcastle game on the telly at the w/e and was suprised to see the whole of the "seated kop" stood up.So why aren't liverpool fined or shut down-or doesn't it really matter?

Guest Bow_Legged_Chicken

Because Liverpool are a big club and the F.A let the big clubs do whatever they want whenever they want simply cause they don't want to upset them.

Top post, brend, mate and your 100% right. As matt said we were talking to Mr. Draisey, if you read my post on this topic........ http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4430 four times over then that would almost be our exact conversation!

The stewards didn't do 1 thing to get people to sit down, and i mentioned this to a mate during the game. its annoying cause i know almost for sure that if i was to go up to some people and say sit down please mate i would get a load of abuse wheras if a steward does it. 1. its their job, 2. They are more likely to listen to them.

I doubt very much from mr. Draisey's comments that we will get it back, unless of course somehow one day we will be allowed terracing back or allowed to stand at certain areas of seated grounds.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I get so annoyed that some jobsworth that probably doesn't even like football can make a decision that affects 1000's of people without proper consultation or consideration.

Why the hell do people in authority make so many decisions on what people should do to stay safe grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rip the ****in seats out and have it as terracing again, there is no reason why we cant have terracing at our football stadium in the second division or first division as far as i know, i think i'm right in saying it's different in the premier league, it would solve the problem without the need for lengthy discussions and utter bullshit of safety regs at football grounds, lets be honest, the chances of us reaching the premier league are slim at best, so we could quite easily have terracing at the gate.

Fair points, but from a purely selfish point of view, it's great to sit in the (largely quite - grr! but great view - yay!) Dolman stand and have the Atteo / East End on either side.

It really makes a big difference to the atmosphere.

So I hope that if the East-enders have to sit down to keep it open they will.

I know it's a bit much to expect others to act selflessly for the benefit of others, but I did say it was a selfish p-o-v!

Guest WestburyRed

As I said in my East End opinion post last night, there were literally 15 kids down towards the front who were causing the standing, they had no one in front stood up to block their own view, they were just stood for the sake of standing (and not even watching the match, to make matters worse)

If those had been told to sit by stewards our row would of sat (we were all seated in my area until kick-off, thinking that everybody would sit down when the match started, but it never happened) our row and the next few rows behind would of sat down, I'm fairly sure of that.

Probably a coincidence but the same kids were also kicking chairs, diving on each other and rushing the fence when we scored. If I'm expected to tell them to sit down instead of the stewards, well that just ain't going to happen, the stewards are there being paid to do a job (control the crowd?!) and I shouldn't be expected to do it, especially as it would probably gain me nothing apart from a volley of abuse from the "acting tough around the girlfriends" kids with way too much attitude.

Archived