IGNORED

White Riot.

Guest Harry May

Guest Harry May

Due to my adversion to listening to the Radio and preferring CDs in the car , did n't get to hear the game was called off until 11:00 . By this time we were in the services on the M1 just before Chesterfield filling up with petrol , when we got told the bad news by some Cidereds from Portishead.

Felt bl00dy gutted . After discussions with my better half we decided to either go and watch Chesterfield at Saltergate ,or go and watch Leeds United . As I have already been to Chesterfield a few times , we decided to continue our trek further north and watch Leeds v Boro .

Followed some friendly Leeds fans into the city centre and parked up . The first surprise was the ticket prices . You needed to remortgage your house to get in.

My ticket was £32 and the nippers was £24. Also , all the pubs around the ground operated a ticket policy - no ticket , no entry.

So , after much trudging around we went into one of the bars in the stadium . Slightly surreal , watching Man U v Southampton on Sky surrounded by Leeds fans with my Tinman testimonial top on.

Over the PA , The Clash's White Riot was played repeatedly.

Just before 15:00 , the bars emptied and everyone rushed to their seats.

I have to say that I have never witnessed such passionate , intense , loud support .The Leeds fans sang throughout the game. Not just one end , but the whole ground . The Revie Stand ( which is their Home End ) stood throughout the whole game , not just one block or row , but the whole stand of about 8,000 fans , with their fists clenched chanting " We are Leeds and we are proud of it ".

But the Leeds team were dire . I would say they looked even worse than they did in our pre-season friendly. Boro bossed the game from start to finish. Leeds had difficulty in stringing 2 passes together . They are doomed for Division 1.

And I would say that they would struggle in Division 1 , with their current team.

Premiership fans , but Nationwide team.

Took about 4 hours to get home in terrible driving conditions . But still we managed to salvage the day and in the end enjoyed it.

I 've got a feeling I will be going back to Leeds next season , but in the Away end with 2,000 other Cidereds.

Caldicot Red.

Feel sorry for all those travelling today, but sounds like you had an interesting day out Harry.

Looking forward to playing Leeds next season. It'll be some intimidating place to go, more so than in the League cup a few years back in front of 8000 odd. I remember it being 3-1 to them with the Goat scoring for us and some Portuguese bloke got 1 of theirs....

Sounds like you made the best of the postponement. Would you have got as far as Grimsby if u hadn't bumped into those City fans?

Heard u had almost made it up there(must admit I had a chuckle) from Jon who was in A and E after a coffee jar accident( that really made me laugh). I was in the hellhole town of Grays in Essex watching non league but got back 4 most of Brighton V Plymouth.

It will be interesting to see what we charge if we do go up. Have paid £32 at West Ham this season and unbelievably £38 Spurs and £41 restricted view at Chelsea(sat behind a pillar 100 metres up).

Ironic they were playing white riot at Leeds. Went to Woking earlier this season who came out to War of the Worlds.

Will keep an eye out 4 ya on the premiership.

Guest Harry May

Would we have got as far as Grimsby ? Possibly - although with Mrs Caldicot navigating we could have ended up in Rykyavik.

As for spotting us on the Premiership , it will be easy . I will be the one sat down looking at the frothing , demented Leeds fans thinking "5h## , is this what I look like at The Gate ? " Or the Tinman testimonal top might give you a clue.

Caldicot Red.

Guest Harry May

Not quite sure what their away end holds. But they did have large sterile areas which reduced the away end's capacity significantly . I would be surprised if , with these sterile areas , Boro were given much more than 2,000.

And , as N1Jim said after he watched Villa v Man U , I had a few pre-conceptions shattered yesterday. I thought premiership football was sanitized and safe , and even a little soulless.

But yesterday , both teams had a huge number of "lads" who were well up for it. There were various skermishes going on , and a few arrests . But the Police did seem to be well-resourced and with good intelligence were on top of any situations fairly quickly. Definately an intimidating place to go as an Away fan.

Caldicot Red.

Guest bristolciderworks

agree that leeds fans have plenty of passion. i went to malaga v leeds in malaga (eufa cup, dec 2002) the best 0.0 i,ve ever seen. constant singing and plenty of smiles. funny too, singing "you'll never take gibralter"

Archived