IGNORED

Academy Players Released

WesM

I've heard on the grapevine this week that a handful of Academy players have been released from their Scholarships. They include Sam Bailey, Jordan Pollinger, Grant Monelle and James Stabler.

Anyone heard any of this?

Simply not good enough to be professional footballers - bit like the large percentage of students going to "university" (college) when a large proportion cannot read and/or write and employers despair when the rubbish come out the other end and are unemployable.

This stage of the "thinning" process usually comes around this time of year and it can be no surprise that it is mainly defenders who are heading for the exit when you consider the talent just ahead of them in the senior squad.

Bailey, Pollinger, Monelle, Stabler are four of the seventeen U/18s who started this season as second year scholars (see main site or mine)

There are another five who have not made a single appearance - so they've probably left as well(?), namely: Daniel Lukeman, Victor Donkor, Chris Davis, James Ackland and Paul Ford (the Non-League Paper a few weeks ago said Lukeman had left); David Hart and Dean Hodgson have hardly played either.

That leaves strikers - Kyle Allcock, Joe Long & Joe Flurry, Midfielders - Cole Skuse & Kye Holly and Defender Callum Hart with a chance of being here next season ... six is the same number of third year scholars as this - Lita, Loxton, Anyinsah, Harley, Aubrey and Coupe (then Brown,S).

Red Goblin - you could thrash me in any debate and your knowledge is certainly in excess of mine, particularly in respect of history but I did refer to the majority of university output these days in which facts bear out my argument. The employers federation are looking for a new "degree" other than from the current college system to weed out those who merely turn up at uni and who only got there by "course work" instead of real academic ability.

Being a pragmatist all I'm really bothered about is the University system churning out enough doctors and dentists. I might be able to win debates and have a knowledge of history but I'm not capable of repairing myself  ^_^  There are not currently enough medical people graduating to meet the demands of this country's healthservice. Not surprising when a trainee dentist or doctor can expect to run up a £50,000+ debt just to graduate in medicine.
Interesting...

Am I the only one who thinks that the reason we are short of such essential students is in part due to the high volume of people who go to uni for the sake of it?

So many people study English or History or some other non career related subject just as it interests them. I don't mind them doing so but it is this student that I object to funding.

In my opinion, no fees for medicine/veterinary/marine biology etc. students but double fees for those studying English and History (and others).

Argue away oh Historian tax dodgers...

I agree with TeePee, it's so easy to get good grades due to coursework etc.

I work full time, but alot of my mates are students and they do coursework which not only do they get help with, but when they've handed it in, they get it back so they are shown what to improve and basically told what to write, it's a disgrace.

Guest red_pill

So who here has a degree and is willing to say they got it easily?

Many employers (and this is something I subscribe to) would argue that getting any degree demonstrates an candidate has an ability to study and apply themselves to a long term project, and succeed at it. To some extent, the subject is irrevelant. I work in an IT environment where my colleagues have degrees in philosophy and history of art (arguably the two most worthless), yet they benefitted in a whole host of ways which is relevent to their jobs...

The world would be a strange (and not necessary good) place if people could only study computers, business or other such "career" subjects

I'm not being elitist, not saying graduates are better than non-graduates or anyone else, but just the experience of going to uni can be a benefit to all...

Not sure who makes the decision to release them though'
I believe it's Tony Fawthrop who makes these decisions.

I'm not sure I'd fancy the job of telling these kids they aren't going to make it. It can't be easy.

Archived