IGNORED

The Millionaire Drive Past

Bristol Boy

I don't know if I've posted this before, but why do we never seem to get the bloke with £20/30m to spend?

Reading about Tamworth's Multi-Millionaire Chairman, who's spent,£20m on them, including a hotel, triggered this.

Hamman went straight past the door on his way from London to Cardiff and Swindle Town will get a bloke with serious money before we do at this rate!

Plymouth have a rebuilt stadium

Is it us?

Is it a Bristol/West Country, thing?

Over to you!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I could be wrong on all of this but I'm sure we told Hamman where to go, and so did Rovers - Cardiff was his 3rd choice.

I think Plymouth Council had a huge hand in rebuilding Home Park, something we'll never see with the incompetant muppets at College Green.

We do have a millionaire chairman, who's doing a quality job and deserves the credit he's due (Bet noone thought I'd ever say that :P)

Guest Bow_Legged_Chicken

Hamann came to us and Rovers before crossing the bridge to cardiff, bottom line was we didn't want him.

At the end of the day these rich men are all good when "they" are buying you players. But really they are not they are buying them with the club making the club go into debt and if it ain't working they leave with virtually all their money but with the club in serious financial difficulty.

If someone was to come along and say i will put 10 million into the clubs account for you to use then I'm sure that Mr. Lansdown and Co. Will not let this oppertunity go by.

But you don't get this these people spend their money on buying the club and thats it all the rest of the purchases are in the clubs name therefore taking nothing from the Chairman. Meaning he can go whenever he wants with only the money he spent on buying the club missing.

I'm happy with the way it is now, i feel safe with mr. lansdown in charge and feel we will progress to the highest level eventually without putting ourselves into danger.

He only spends what the club has got and he always finds a decent amount to spend each season.

Guest WestburyRed

Its a good thing if you ask me. We have a very well ran club, we are reasonably stable (for a Div 2 club anyway) and we've managed to develop a young and talented squad.

I'm pleased Hamman completely bypassed us and I'm fairly sure nearly all City fans are too. I personally believe in making a profitable football club and then spending the money when it becomes available, not digging up millions from possibly nowhere and then potentially falling apart a few years later.

I think we should be proud of how Steve and co have operated the club to be honest.

Money isn't everything, look at Charlton, haven't they spent something like £15m in the past 13 years? Pretty good for a club with a realistic chance of a Champions League spot this season. It certainly puts those Cheesley comments into perspective if nothing else.

I too am more than happy with the Chairman we have got. He has a sensible approach to running the club and i feel at last we are in safe hands. The last thing I would want is some glory seeker like Hamman coming here and throwing his money around, because that brings other problems. I would rather be as we are, at least steve Landsdown talks about the club with passion, a true fan. Not some hanger-on! ^_^

Guest pogue mahone

money doesn't always equal success.

look at the clubs at the bottom of division 1 who over-spent in their quest for success in the premiership.

look at the mess that leeds have got themselves in.

look at how long it took wolves to get their 1 year in the premiership against the way that charlton is run.

where would you expect chelskov to be in the league if they hadn't spent over £100, that's right the 3rd place that they currently occupy. if he gets bored of his toy and leaves they are shafted financially.

far more important to have a club with secure foundations and a board who have realistic expectations.

finally, nice hotels and new grounds do not win you promotion.

I'm sure that Carlisle welcomed Michael Knighton with open arms when he approached them. Doubt if he would get much of a welcome now though.

Much of the current touble that Leeds find themselves in has been attributed to Peter Ridsdale's folly of gambling the future of the club on a Champions League place.

He has taken over at Barnsley, who have just come out of administration. They appear to be signing a fair few players and are linked with several others.

If I was a Barnsley fan I would be afraid. Very afraid.

Fayed looked at Brentford as well as Fulham, but not QPR or Chelsea. Perhaps the latter two would have required more to buy than he was prepared to spend. Yes his money got Fulham from Div 4 to Prem, but he has upset many long standing fans with the manner he's delivered the goods. Sacked the manager who got them promoted so that he could bring in Keegan; tried selling Craven Cottage etc.

Hamman, I just do not trust him and was in two minds when I heard he was looking at City and bringing in Bobby Gould with him as manager.

Abramovitch? No firm conclusions as he's been there less than a year. If his money fails to buy success, will he walk away?

Max Griggs made Rushden & D what they are. He now wants to walk away and the club are panicking.

Interesting fact on the radio the other night. Which club is bottom of the scottish Prem - Partick. Which Scottish Prem club has the smallest debt - Partick. At least 4 SPL teams are considering going into Admin. Give thanks we have the board at City we have.

Guest redrobin108

Lets hope Bill Gates comes over and invests a few quid in us.

Just think the our rebuild stadium could be called the microsoft stadium. ^_^

I think you'll still find that MOST football league clubs still do NOT have "big money" chairmen pouring tens of millions into their clubs.

The support we have received from the current board appears to be fantastic. Given the losses, lack of success etc in recent years- but we are STILL funding the academy and buying players. We cannot moan.

I don't know if I've posted this before, but why do we never seem to get the bloke with £20/30m to spend?

Reading about Tamworth's Multi-Millionaire Chairman, who's spent,£20m on them, including a hotel, triggered this.

Hamman went straight past the door on his way from London to Cardiff and Swindle Town will get a bloke with serious money before we do at this rate!

Plymouth have a rebuilt stadium

Is it us?

Is it a Bristol/West Country, thing?

Over to you!

we do have a chairman with that sort of money but if i were him

i'd keep it safe in the bank looking at leeds, but the point being

with tony thorpe why spend a million only for him to walk away

for nothing ^_^

Archived