IGNORED

Steve's Interview

edson

A Chairman of a Football League club shouldn't really be telling his paying (or not paying, is that the point?) customers to get off their butts and do anything. The message was right, the wording was way off the mark.
This has hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. The point is, of course, that SteveL is absolutely NOT telling his paying customers to get off their butts. He's telling people who claim allegiance to our club and yet actually give the club nothing back to actually stand up and be counted. If they don't take up the challenge, then we don't lose anything, because you can't lose something people haven't already given. If one or two sit up and take notice because of the frank language and are actually stung into action because they feel like they are being challenged into doing something, then it will do good.

In any case, I think some people are far too sensitive to the language. "Get up off your butts/backsides and support the club" is hardly offensive! It's standard everyday terminology. How many fans are likey to be spurred into action by someone asking: "Please would you mind awfully giving up your Saturday afternoon and coming down to Ashton Gate. We could really do with a few more of you down here and we'd be very grateful." The club have done that in the past and the armchair fans have hardly been fighting each other to get to the turnstiles first.

How many generals standing atop tanks have rallied their men to war with the words: "Now look, I know you've had a bit of a rough time getting here, and some of you are a bit tired, but these people we're fighting really aren't awfully nice and it would be simply wonderful if you could go in and oiverpower them. I'd really appreciate it."

How many managers stir their team into action when they appear indifferent by trying to be reasonable: "I say, lads. I was rather hoping to see the season out and if you don't pull your socks up a bit in the second half and score a few goals it looks like I'll be picking up my pay check. You're all paid employees of this company and it would be good if you could try a little harder."

Do you think Churchill would have got 'em going by vowing: "We'll pop down the beach and try to take them on there."

There's a time and a place for straightforward language. This is the 21st century. Are people really offended by being asked to get off their butts? If some poor souls are, then it's probably a good job if they DO stay away because they're likely to be a lot more offended if they actually do get down to the Gate, bless. Honestly, it's soooo West Coast!

• Admin
How many managers stir their team into action when they appear indifferent by trying to be reasonable: "I say, lads. I was rather hoping to see the season out and if you don't pull your socks up a bit in the second half and score a few goals it looks like I'll be picking up my pay check. You're all paid employees of this company and it would be good if you could try a little harder."

I think you'll find that Aaron Brown takes particular offence to the phrase "pull your socks up" so it does indeed stir him into action as he lauches a volley of invective at whoever directed the comment his way :unsure:

This has hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. The point is, of course, that SteveL is absolutely NOT telling his paying customers to get off their butts. He's telling people who claim allegiance to our club and yet actually give the club nothing back to actually stand up and be counted. If they don't take up the challenge, then we don't lose anything, because you can't lose something people haven't already given. If one or two sit up and take notice because of the frank language and are actually stung into action because they feel like they are being challenged into doing something, then it will do good.

In any case, I think some people are far too sensitive to the language. "Get up off your butts/backsides and support the club" is hardly offensive! It's standard everyday terminology. How many fans are likey to be spurred into action by someone asking: "Please would you mind awfully giving up your Saturday afternoon and coming down to Ashton Gate. We could really do with a few more of you down here and we'd be very grateful." The club have done that in the past and the armchair fans have hardly been fighting each other to get to the turnstiles first.

How many generals standing atop tanks have rallied their men to war with the words: "Now look, I know you've had a bit of a rough time getting here, and some of you are a bit tired, but these people we're fighting really aren't awfully nice and it would be simply wonderful if you could go in and oiverpower them. I'd really appreciate it."

Do you think Churchill would have got 'em going by vowing: "We'll pop down the beach and try to take them on there."

There's a time and a place for straightforward language. This is the 21st century. Are people really offended by being asked to get off their butts? If some poor souls are, then it's probably a good job if they DO stay away because they're likely to be a lot more offended if they actually do get down to the Gate, bless.  Honestly, it's soooo West Coast!

Yes, yes, yes RedTop. I think we all got the jist of your argument about 4 days ago. How about actually addressing the original theme of your colleague's post instead of rehashing the same wholesome backing of SL's words over and over in the hope you will stay on Steve and Maggie's Christmas card list?

Yes, yes, yes RedTop. I think we all got the jist of your argument about 4 days ago. How about actually addressing the original theme of your colleague's post instead of rehashing the same wholesome backing of SL's words over and over in the hope you will stay on Steve and Maggie's Christmas card list?
If you look back, you'll see I addressed the points in Edson's initial posting earlier in the thread, agreeing with him to some extent. In case you hadn't noticed, the thread has developed to bring in other issues such as Steve's comments, which tends to happen on a forum such as this, RR. Those who brought them up obviously did so because they felt they warranted discussion, so why get upset when this happens? Just take a deep breath and pass over my posting if you don't want to read what I have to say.

It's a fault of the forum software, unfortunately, that for the time being such issues can't branch out and be separated as easily as they used to, but that's life.

For some reason best known to yourself you seem to want to insult me and bait me, but I really can't be bothered to get into some sort of slanging match with you. I've better things to do, so you can fire away with all the insults you want on this thread and get it out of your system, if it makes you feel better, in the full knowledge that I won't be responding. Perhaps we can then return to some sort of logical discussion instead of name-calling on other threads.

If you look back, you'll see I addressed the points in Edson's initial posting earlier in the thread, agreeing with him to some extent. In case you hadn't noticed, the thread has developed to bring in other issues such as Steve's comments, which tends to happen on a forum such as this, RR. Those who brought them up obviously did so because they felt they warranted discussion, so why get upset when this happens? Just take a deep breath and pass over my posting if you don't want to read what I have to say.

It's a fault of the forum software, unfortunately, that for the time being such issues can't branch out and be separated as easily as they used to, but that's life.

For some reason best known to yourself you seem to want to insult me and bait me, but I really can't be bothered to get into some sort of slanging match with you. I've better things to do, so you can fire away with all the insults you want on this thread and get it out of your system, if it makes you feel better, in the full knowledge that I won't be responding. Perhaps we can then return to some sort of logical discussion instead of name-calling on other threads.

You must be confusing me with someone else as I never insulted you, just pointed out that I find your constant brown-nosing on this forum rather unfortunate. I think you come up with some very valid points a lot of the time and I am pleased to see you posting more often these days. But the pro-board editorialising is so full-on it detracts from the content of your other posts, which I think is a shame.

Anyway, thanks awfully for pointing out all the other stuff for me so patiently. I will cotton on eventually.

Thanks for not bothering to respond by responding by the way.

Archived