IGNORED

Fortune Favours The Brave

greenun

After 85 minutes and with the game finely poised at 1-1, Danny Wilson made an

inspired substitution, bringing on the towering Londoner, for the fading Sir

Brian of Tinnion. For the umpteenth time this season, another busted hoodoo.

Clayton's feet had no sooner graced the turf, when his deep, powerful header

from a gridlocked midfield, released Peacock near the right-corner flag. Leapy

shimmied and shielded, inviting a challenge from the dogged full-back that

earned a free-kick. The resulting cross pinged around the Bees box like a hot

potato, before being despatched by the head of a delighted Matt Hill. Two-one

and job done. Lita's decisive strike from an excellent Roberts through-ball

being the coup de gras.

I rarely give credit to the oppostion, but in Brentford's case it was fully

deserved, in what was an entertaining match. Their youthful zest belied their

lowly position, with both full-backs having great games. Goodfellow had his

quietest match to date and Brown worked exceptionally hard to earn the "fans motm

award". Brentford's midfielders fought tigerishly, but up front they lacked a

cutting edge, with Rougier a lone threat . Their goal came from what appeared

to be poor communication between Phillips and his defence, with Hutchinson

ghosting in completely unchallenged, to head in from 6 yards.

That was after 77 minutes and thoughts turned to the Peterbrough game earlier

this season that finished 1-1. City had led through an early goal, only to

throw away 2 points by failing to kill off their opponents. That was City Mk I.

City Mk II are winners; and winners get promoted.

Brilliant  !! Are you Stuart Hall ?

Thank you for those kind words Andy. I think Stuart Hall is a god, who paints a beautiful picture for his match reports, with his wonderful vocabulary and sharp wit. No, I'm merely Mark Tovey, unpaid freelance writer of "City Fanz View", in the 'Un that is Green.

And I agree about the inspired substitution. We were all wondering what Danny was thinking when Fortune was brought onto the pitch, but it WAS an inspired substitution which turned the match in our favour again. Danny has has a lot of stick from us in the past for making odd decisions, but just lately he seems to be getting it right more often than not.

Absolutely amazing Andy! Why knock on the castle door when you can use a battering ram instead.

Only one Danny Wilson !

Absolutely Andy. But on the evening that Forest sacked Paul Hart, Danny's ability to bring on youngsters blessed in the art of total football that NFFC hold so dear, may be too attractive a propostion.

Guest Filton Red

I'll admit what admused me was just before our freekick, the Brentford defenders couldnt work out how was to mark fortune, so 3 went to him to start with, which helped the others in the box.

I take it from that they know nothing of Clayton Fortune!!! (or expected him to stay back and defend...)

Guest Cider Red Sam

I'd just like to blow my own trumpet for a minute or two. Yesterday, I posted a topic (which got no replies!) saying how I think Fortune should be getting more first team opportunitys, and then what happens! He only goes and gets a game! And he played well as well. Maybe Danny Wilson does read this forum!

Guest Harry May

Well I know what I was thinking when Danny put Clayton on - something along the lines of "###### , we're going to settle for 1-1 and play 5 across the back ."

He certainly made a tremendous contribution to the game , with that powerful header.

Caldicot Red.

Guest Gashead_dan

The first time I saw Clayton Fortune was againstour reserves the other week and he is a cracking player. Would give half our squad for him in our team.

I have watched him many times but do not yet feel he is ready for regular selection just as I do with Lita. However, he will get a terrific buzz from making such an important albeit late intervention in a game which should maintain his enthusiasm - again, well done to DW for a good decision on when to introduce his players for the good of the team and their own development

Yup another great prospect for us, soon to be challenging big time for a first team place. In his post match interview Danny reckoned they have tried Fortune in midfield before and that as he is such a good ball player, he can play pretty much anywhere. What a great player to have on the bench.

i've seen him a few times for the reserves and think he is brilliant. I look forward to seeing him in central defence alongside Coles on a regular basis when the time is right.

Archived