IGNORED

Another Set Piece Goal

Bristol Boy

I'm full of praise over our eight match winning spree but our defending from set pieces is a major source of concern.

In the first half, Brentford had two free headers fron corners and then scored in the second half from a disputed free kick, miles out.

You can get away with slips in this Division, but go up one and you'll be punished week in, week out like we were the last time we were promoted.

I'm full of praise over our eight match winning spree but our defending from set pieces is a major source of concern.

In the first half, Brentford had two free headers fron corners and then scored in the second half from a disputed free kick, miles out.

You can get away with slips in this Division, but go up one and you'll be punished week in, week out like we were the last time we were promoted.

yeah i was thinking the same, it does seem to be the Set Piece is

our weakness, at times we just fall asleep on them :unsure:

more work needed on them me thinks :P

yeah i was thinking the same, it does seem to be the  Set Piece is

our weakness, at times we just fall asleep on them  :unsure:

more work needed on them me thinks  :P

I said to my mate the other day that if we didn't concede goals from set pieces, we wouldn't concede any at all, the last one from open play at home was Loootun I think. Mr McSheffrey onto Springs through ball.

I agree that it needs to be worked on, although Saturdays goal was down to Tinnion style quick thinking from them more than anything.

We seem to be getting a lot of comments recently about how we'll suffer in Div 1 if we don't improve massively...

Am I missing something? Cardiff and Wigan hardly seem to be in deep deep trouble and they didn't go on a massive spending spree when they got into Div 1 (as far as I know...)

I need to get ready for the brickbats,

but looking at the video I put this down to Steve Phillips - he has simply no commend of his box, the striker headed the ball a yard away from the 6 yard line.

most keepers would regard this as "their" territory. SP never ventures off the line, unless it is to meet an attacker that has broken free and is one on one (and I have to say that fair play to SP, he is as good as any keeper I have ever seen in this situation).

Half the problem is us/me calling him flapper etc and that makes him more conservative in his judgement (if in doubt, stay on the line - is probably a tactic that has been agreed with the coaching staff)

for Steve to kick on from the position he has built, he needs to start coming for the ball more and not leaving it for the back four.

I need to get ready for the brickbats,

but looking at the video I put this down to Steve Phillips - he has simply no commend of his box, the striker headed the ball a yard away from the 6 yard line.

most keepers would regard this as "their" territory. SP never ventures off the line, unless it is to meet an attacker that has broken free and is one on one (and I have to say that fair play to SP, he is as good as any keeper I have ever seen in this situation).

Half the problem is us/me calling him flapper etc and that makes him more conservative in his judgement (if in doubt, stay on the line - is probably a tactic that has been agreed with the coaching staff)

for Steve to kick on from the position he has built, he needs to start coming for the ball more and not leaving it for the back four.

Strangely enough people around me were moaning that he came for the ball rather than staying on his line! :unsure:

Personally I think the whole team were caught out by the quick freekick, in a normal situation the defenders would have snuffed it out before it reached SP. I think he was the only one who realised what was happening and tried to cover for others, but by the time he moved it was too late and he wascaught in nomansland.

people see different things different ways. :D

Strangely enough people around me were moaning that he came for the ball rather than staying on his line! :unsure:

Personally I think the whole team were caught out by the quick freekick, in a normal situation the defenders would have snuffed it out before it reached SP. I think he was the only one who realised what was happening and tried to cover for others, but by the time he moved it was too late and he wascaught in nomansland.

people see different things different ways. :D

Yes, I hear the same calls around me for him to stay on the line, but in the long term we have to back him to come out more.

SP went through a phase of coming out and punching the ball clear (rather then trying to catch it and risking spilling the ball). Why did he stop punching the ball?? I cannot remember a time when we conceded a goal from it or is my memory failing?

My only problem with punching is you've got to get a good contact or get it to your own player, if you come out to around the penalty spot, and put it out to the edge of the box you risk a quick shot back into an empty net.

IMO he has improved with his judgement of when to come or stay in the last 10 games or so, it may be down to the confidence in the whole team but it's good to see.

Yes City's record this season from set-pieces is not good, City have conceeded 5 from corners and 7 from free-kicks in the league, 12 out of 22, a VERY high percentage.

While the overall defensive record is excellent, the lack of discipline at the back is worrying and must be corrected. This is partly due to Steve Phillips weakness in the air (come on, lets all admit that's his weak point) and partly due to not having a shouter at the back bawling instructions. On a few occasions on saturday there were examples of two getting in each other's way with an After-You-Claude attitude. It needs someone to bawl out its his and clear the damn thing.

Phillips did nothing wrong. The Ball from the free kick was perfect, it was one of those that until it hit the strikers head there was no way a keeper was going to get it.

He should have stayed on his line, and would have done, if the other 9-10 city players in the Box hadn't fallen completely asleep and just watched the Brentford player wander through, forcing Phillips to do what in that situation you don't do, come out.

Phillips does have a weakness in the air, but so does our entire defence, and as i have written at great lengths many times in the past, keepers who play consistantly behind weak ariel defences are invariably worse at commanding their box's. Luckily if we go up we can bring in a taylor type defender, and Phillips is still of the age when keepers are not usually great at commanding areas, he can and will learn as long as the defenders infront of him improve in the air.

For me this is even happening now, over the last few gaems our defence has been far more dominent from high balls that it was earlier in the season when it looked decidedly shakey, and just because of that little improvement in the defence, Phillips has improved his command of the box as well. There is still some way to go, but Phillips and the defence will get there.

Archived