IGNORED

Pay No Heed

Guest city slicker 71

Guest city slicker 71

After the pleasing news that the shed has been given the all clear I would thank the board for their efforts, as over the last couple of seasons Iv'e been more than critical regarding its redundant state. There are no doubt many who are surprised at the decision and dare I say some not too happy.

There's a post, No (16) over on the City List from someone who works with a steward who reckons two of his colleagues were assaulted and if they open up the shed again they'll refuse to work it yak, yak yak.

I decided against being drawn in to any debate that to me is a negative the same as some on here with their "they were standing throughout all 34 of them I saw them!! and where were the comments from these spoilers when large away followings did the same? Not to be seen, I'm not condoning the behaviour of a few I'm sure the club will deal with it, just a plea to all East Enders to ignore negative contributions instead focus on your achievements so far, one of the biggest being continous backing after they equalised that's what shines through not the wet blanket remarks from up on the Dolman Cemetary' .

There is still quite a way to go not least of all QPR & Plymouth after all the hard work put in can any of you entertain the thought of them occupying our spot while we watch from the sides? I think not, neither can I entertain the thought of returning up there to sit amongst some of them, God forbid!

Sincerely,

i get what your saying mate, but with stewards it

is all about man management certain stwards that

work in the east end show no common sense and

go OTT jobs worth style, now city should hand pick

a few of the night club doorstaff stewards to work in

the east end as they will command more respect as these

lads will listen to them as most know them when drinking

down town and would not want to spoil their ''free entry

to a night club'' gig :D but yep certain stewards don't

suite that type of crowd a few stewards that work the

eastend at the moment seem to panic and try and fight

fire with fire, it is a and excitable stand with singing and

a atmosphere building by the fans so sometimes what

is seen as singing etc is seen by some as rowdy behavior.

but also if there was a couple of police in there it would

make a difference as most guys would fear getting arrested

than the worry of just getting ejected :unsure:

If my memory serves me correctly there were no stewards as such- only police and they were far worse than the stewards we have today.

Having seen some of the provocation that some of the stewards had to put up with from a few morons on Saturday I have to say I wouldn't fancy their jobs for all the tea in China. They are literally on a hiding to nothing.

Can anyone refresh my memory?
Gladly. People, not infrequently innocent bystanders, used to get their faces stoved in by a bunch of neanderthal thugs that felt the need to glorify violence but were so hard that they could only carry out such acts when they had an 'army' of link-mindless thugs backing them up on a Saturday afternoon.

Good thing these 'halcyon' days are in the past and the East End, in the main, can now be enjoyed without inflicting physical injury on other people in the name of firm rivalry or the name of a football club.

My memory's not that good with regard to the BCFC stewarding in the halcyon days of the East End during the 1970's, but I remember no bother from stewards during the 1970's. I might have rose tinted 1970's specs or could it of been that the East End stewards from bygone days were actually staunch BCFC and glad to be with their fellow City lads? Can anyone refresh my memory?  :D

There were no stewards in the 70's as has been written elsewhere, but there were regular forays by the police into the middle section to remove over boisterous fans which were often resisted by their friends.

The main problem about the East End now is the seats. In the old days the crowd would go bonkers when City scored, as they do now. There would be a natural surge forward and you might end up several steps down by the time the celebrations subsided.

With the rows of seats now you cannot jump forward so the natural movement of celebration would be to follow the line of seats and go sideways. Therefore there may be a rush towards the fence, and the stewards.

Obvious solution ( if the stewards have to stay by the fence, why do they by the way, a barrier between the fans is already there?) is either to make the 3 rows of seats going downwards next to the stewards into seats for named regulars only, or failing that to net off a couple of rows so that the fans and the stewards do not almost inevitably meet in a melee when we score.

That way any boisterously celebrating fans will be kept well away from the stewards, and vice versa.

there were stewards in the east end in the late 70's

as the picture below shows some strewards at the front

IMAG0008.JPG

It certainly looks that way, cider head, though i don't remember them.

Mind you the police used to wear the fluorescent tops in those days as well, and one or two of the "stewards" in your picture appear to have police helmets on.

Perhaps the others had had theirs knocked off, a not uncommon occurrence in those days.

Archived