IGNORED

Joe Burnell

Godzilla

Or Just Coincidental?

Joe Burnell was one player who was much talked about during our poor run earlier on in the season. He was used as a scapegoat by many, and praised by many others.

The question is, following an 8 game winning sequence, Joe Burnell has not featured for a single minute of that run. Is his absence the key to our success? Was he just used in the wrong way? Was he used with the wrong players? Or is he just not good enough?

Because I think our midfield looks a whole lot better with 4/5 players who can all make a decisive forward pass.

Guest Topbuzz

Joe is a very good defender who looks a bit out of his depth in midfield ...Lets not forget the Luton Goal and some good battling performances early in the season hes a excellent utility player and going to be a very important player in the coming months ......Joe isnt Satan as much as youd like him to be just a defender trying his best in midfield

It was a squad game in August, it is a squad game now, and it will remain so for the rest of the season.

Joe Burnell never once let anybody down and played a major role in building the defensive excellence that has underpinned our challenge thus far.

The whole problem to me in the early part of the season was Wilson's insistence in playing too may players out of position and too many defensively minded players in midfield. It didn't work but it was a shame it took 9 games for Wilson to admit he got it wrong.

While Joe Burnell may be an adequate defender and works his socks off whenever and wherever he plays, he's not a midfielder and quite frankly I hope he never plays there again.

Joe Burnell never once let anybody down and played a major role in building the defensive excellence that has underpinned our challenge thus far.
Couldn't agree more - Joe is a good player and will be back. I would like to see him play in defence where he seems to be more at ease, or if Tommy is injured/suspended, Joe is a good replacement in midfield particularly for away games where maybe we need a bit more battling - Tinman or Wilkshire don't really play that role and sometimes it is needed.

I hope Joe gets another chance, he is City through and through :D

maybe instead of Carey at right back?  I like his versitility on the bench though.
Yes, that's where I would like to see him play, at least to see how it works. Joe is Bristol City through and through and should be given a chance again. Only hope he sticks out the wait!

Guest twaters

I think its a terrable trend at City where we always 'for want of a better word' sl@g players off whether we are doing well or not. Aaron Brown seems to be the player we aim at when we are winning and Burnell seems to be the player when we are not doing so well.

I personally agree that both tommy and joe was too defensive. However i dissagree and believe if it was joe and Tinman in midfield we would still have this streak!

if Tommy is injured/suspended, Joe is a good replacement in midfield
I think you under estimate Dohertys' ability. He is more than just the spoiler, that you imply, but has quick feet and can pick a pass as well. It's a shame some of us are so "one eyed."

A Doherty/Wilkshire axis 'till May for me.

I don't think I ever was blaming Joe and it seems to me that the problem almost everyone had was that he was playing with Tommy in the middle, they are basically the same player. I think he could/can be a great super sub covering many people and should be used as such.

Archived