IGNORED

Fitness The Key

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

All the late goals show how teams just can't compete with us for 90 mins.

How many times have City thrown away leads ect in the last 3/4 years and always struggled to score late on.

Now things are different, with the option of Lita coming on to test the tired legs of defenders who've just had a physical 70/80 mins dealing with Peacock and Miller plus the threat posed by Brown and Goodfellow attacking at speed down the flanks.

Things are looking very good right now, but now we're in everyones sights people raise their game that little bit more when they play us.

Very true; we certainly have great strength throughout the whole 90 minutes.

Still a concern that teams aren't finished off well before we reach that latter stages though?!

But it is the winning and getting 3 points that counts
Quite true and quite obvious.

My point is if we miss several chances and find ourselves 1-0 down in the 80th minute to QPR, Plymouth, Wrexham, Sheff Weds, Port Vale, Swindon etc. etc. can you see us getting the all important equaliser?

Surely the permanent pressure we are putting on teams should be providing a cushion earlier in the game if we are to maintain this amazing run?

We have had a reasonable chunk of luck in this run and simply should not be putting OURSELVES under so much pressure after dominating opposition.

What would this forum be like today if Aaron didn't notch in the 88th minute? Critical of Wilkshire on the right? probably.

Critical of Danny? quite likely

Slagging the referee? definitely

Concern that we might not go up and it might start falling down around us? Yes

He did so all that is irrelevant; until of course the next time we are drawing and losing a game we should have won within the first 60 minutes and there is already 80 minutes gone; then it'll be down to lady luck and superior fitness yet again!

Football is played over 90 minutes.

If we score in the 88th minute it makes it no luckier than if we score in the 34th minute, the 57th minute, or any other minute!

We would've been unlucky not to win last night. The officials were against us, and decisions such as the penalty was suggesting that luck was very much not in our favour.

But, we came through, and I felt we edged it. Just because we scored at the death, it doesn't make it lucky in my opinion!

Like you, I do wish we would kill teams off, however!

I think the current confidence that is running through the squad is also an important factor.

How many sides would still be looking for a winner so late in the game, particularly away from home? Many would take the easy option and settle for the draw.

Perhaps Brian Smith is working the old psychological magic again.

May I suggest it's not so much down to fitness as the strength of our squad. We have players on the bench who can come on and win games. Goodfellow, El Motor and Lita have all come off the bench in the last few games to score crucial goals.

We've had players like Wilkshire, Butler and Doc all out in this run and not missed them. How many Division Two teams can say that? Goodfellow's on the bench and Roberts can't even get on the bench.

I think that's what other teams, including QPR, can't match - our strength in depth.

Football is played over 90 minutes.

Yes, multiplied by at least 46 and spread out over ten months or so - thereby requiring strategic thinking as much as tactical.

Steve Ovett used to win medals and set records without killing himself on the first few laps and few horses win the Grand National by leading pillar to post. Whilst it would be great to have seen us top in August and stay there, with the need to find answers to the loss of Murray and the arrival of new faces, was it ever that likely?

Early in the season I found myself sitting next to a lad who'd played against us in a cup game, he said he felt City were not as fit as his team at the time ("blowing out of our backsides were his exact words). I rationalised that perhaps our pre-season had been deliberately less strenuous to counter the effects of a season extended by the play-offs; it made sense to me and I posted as much to CityList and got "pelters" for it.

Yet, the longer the season has gone on the better we have lasted games whereas other sides are looking heavy-legged and ready for the beach. The more I think about it, the more I believe the current happy position to be born of wise strategy of which the laying down of a sound defensive foundation in the early months was a crucial part.

We've had players like Wilkshire, Butler and Doc all out in this run and not missed them. How many Division Two teams can say that? Goodfellow's on the bench and Roberts can't even get on the bench.

... not to mention players of the quality of Clist, Hulbert, Jones and Matthews who preferred to look elsewhere and overcoming the unwanted departures of Scoot and Lee-I-am.

To my mind the current squad is the best we've had since the mid-70s and it is still improving!

Archived