IGNORED

Rovers

gater2

This started off as a reply to the Poll by Cornelius on the poll section, but it got rather long and emotional so I thaught it would be better in the main section.

As much as we laugh at their misfortunes no true city fan would not relish the prospect of more regular bristol derbies. At first I always had a chuckle when I heard their result every week on sports report, I'm actually finding I don't mind that much if they win.

You could argue I want them to do well just so we can stuff them again, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing them go up for this reason. I've only seen 2 bristol derbies and they have been the best (3-2 at the gate omg what a night!!! :D ) and worst (2-0 at minimal stadium, where we had to stand in the rain for 1/2 hour after the match with r*vers fans jeering at us ;) ) matches I've had as a city fan, and it would be a massive pity to not experience that again.

Think of all big rivalries in football, basically all are playing at the same level (or at least in the same league): ManUre Man City, Liverpool Everton, Arsenal Tottenham, Villa Birmingham etc. and that's only in our country. I think for rivalries to flourish the teams need to be at around the same standard.

Of course I don't want Rovers to be more successful than us, and I would never want us to get worse just in order for us to beat them again, but however much we kid ourselves that makeshift derbies like Cardiff, Swindon, Plymouth and Cheltenham can be enough, we all want to score a last minute winner against the Gas in a 4-3 thriller. Unfortunately I can't see this happening in the forseeable future as we're probably going to be 2 divisons apart at the end of this year.

There are some derbies which have died out because of one team being much better than the other (QPR and Chelski to mention but one), I just hope this won't happen to our cosy little city.

R.I.P. the Bristol derby?!? :Confused13:

Guest WestburyRed
There are some derbies which have died out because of one team being much better than the other (QPR and Chelski to mention but one), I just hope this won't happen to our cosy little city.

R.I.P. the Bristol derby?!? :Confused13:

I've been thinking this for a while, City - Cardiff seems a much more likely future prospect.

Of course there are negatives (no more Bristol derbies) but it could actually benefit us if we pull away even further from Rovers. Maybe one really successful team in Bristol will finally awaken the council to the fact there is some sport in Bristol.

Happy for them to fail - just think of some of those big games we could be playing in 1st division. Teams like West Ham, Sunderland, Leeds etc would all draw big crowds and a fantastic atmosphere (I'd rather that than a game against Rovers who really are no competition for us) :P

Archived