IGNORED

Great Footy Cliches

Br 1st ol

With so much footy talk on Sky, Talk Sport, 606, do you find yourslef using football punditry nonsense idioms and cliches in genereal life?

I let myself down badly today in a client meeting when I said "For me..." before every sentance...

For me there is too much Townsend and Cascarino influnce...damn, there i go again....

Any others?

Guest Huddersfield Red

The genre of 'footballer speak' is also defined by the register that is used. Terms like - 'onion bag', 'early doors' and 'to put it in the mixer' are good example - I think - or are the 'Big Ron speak'?

The genre of 'footballer speak' is also defined by the register that is used. Terms like - 'onion bag', 'early doors' and 'to put it in the mixer' are good example - I think  - or are the 'Big Ron speak'?

Yeah but you know to be fair, at the end of the day, these lads have got a job to do at this moment in time. For me if they give 110% that's triffic, you can't ask for any more than that. It's horses for courses at the end of the day isn't it, to be fair?

One I've noticed the last couple of matches on radio Bristol is "It's gone behind for a throw in"... Mightily confusing as I've always associated that phrase with goal kicks and corners.... :dunno:

Bringing My wife and sister tomorrow (they ganged up on me....) Hope it doesn't jinx the run!

Guest GERRYGOW

I think you have to go a long way to beat Sir Bobby Robson

"Footballs the name of the game, there's eleven players on each side. The best team won on the day, and we lost"

Andy Gray : yeee gota weeerk the keeeepa

It's a game of two halves

you gotta give 110 over the 90

hold your shape, knock it square and get the line up :dunno:

Barry Fry : ######ing to$$er, pass the *&^&%$££ ball, you %%^&^22 %&%&^% cu***&. Why the %$^%^%& did I buy a piece of ^&^&76, %$^%$^^% and %%$$&$&&. OK?

Guest blairhater

They've come out with a different attitude in the second half.

Was trawling through the channels earlier making the most of the few days left with sky , before they pull the plug. When i heard, "Those multiple body slams can ruin other less sturdy beds." How long will it be before D.W. uses this post match?

They've made their bed they can lie in it.

Andy Gray :  yeee gota weeerk the keeeepa

It's a game of two halves

you gotta give 110 over the 90

hold your shape, knock it square and get the line up :dunno:

Barry Fry : ######ing to$$er, pass the *&^&%$££ ball, you %%^&^22  %&%&^% cu***&.  Why the %$^%^%& did I buy a piece of ^&^&76,  %$^%$^^% and %%$$&$&&.  OK?

Also another Andy Gray one:.....That was a whisker away.

"If God had meant football to be played in the air he'd have put grass on the cloads" (Brian Clough at some point in the 80s when talking about Wimbledon, Watford & Sheff Wed route one tactics). To be honest I lived around Wimbledon for much of the 80s and always used to enjoy a visit to Plough Lane; you knew what you were getting! It wasn't City but then Nick Hornsby had his affair with Cambridge Utd - mine was with Wimbledon - but don't tell Alan Walsh that I was with Wimbledon at Wembley the night before we beat Sheff Utd in the play-off semi-final!

Guest malaggro

My personal pet hate is "as I was saying". Not exactly a cliche but a particularly annoying figure of speech. You listen to a Radio Bristol player interview and wait for how many times it is said, Y'no.

Also heard Danny Wilson talking to a bloke in John Anthony and was amazed how often he used the word "absolutely", vitually every sentence started and finished this way.

Oh well not to worry "because at the end of the day" we are top of the league.

But remember it's a "marathon and not a 100 metre dash"

Regards

Mal :dunno:

Archived