IGNORED

Attendance?

Guest WestburyRed

Does it matter how many were there as long as you were - plenty of reasons for not going and best part of 14,000 to see a second division match is excellent - there won't be many better in the first!

Very nearly two less as just as my mate and I tried to get into the Red & White, EDR was coming out and he was stopping for no-one and damn near trampled us to death without even realising it - bloody early leavers.

There was a man in front of us today with three kids. They obviously don't go to matches very often as when we scored the three kids (they were all over the age of 12) just sat there clapping. I thought they must be Wrexham fans, but when they talked they had amazing Bristol accents-were they Gasheads or just very stupid. One of the kids even had a go at me for jumping up and shouting too loud when we scored. :dunno:

They weren't just partimers I don't think they'd ever been to a football match in their life before.

But still they payed money to get in and we as a club can do with all of teh cash that we can get at teh moment.

One of the kids even had a go at me for jumping up and shouting too loud when we scored.  :dunno: 

That annoys me more than anything at city when you are going mental and recieving dirty looks from your own "fans" standing there clapping once every 5 seconds. I hope you told him where to go! :dunno:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"One of the kids even had a go at me for jumping up and shouting too loud when we scored."

Could have introduced him to the business end of your forehead :dunno: But that would be wrong so don't :dunno:

Anyways,

No wonder the council can get away with not encouraging or funding sport in this City. Bristol City, the regions flagship sporting club, 11 wins in a row in a catchment area of at least a million people and only 13,000 show up.

Bristol City Football club do more for sport in this City than the council, laying on big rugby matches, boxing and attempting to introduce American football.

If we do ever hit the big times I hope the club do remember those who followed them in the second division and bellow.

Steve L was right when he said about people "getting off their butts" - I'm fed up of muppets talking to me down the pub like their Citys biggest fans, when in truth they show for the big games at the most.

No wonder the council can get away with not encouraging or funding sport in this City.  Bristol City, the regions flagship sporting club, 11 wins in a row in a catchment area of at least a million people and only 13,000 show up.

Bristol City Football club do more for sport in this City than the council, laying on big rugby matches, boxing and attempting to introduce American football.

If we do ever hit the big times I hope the club do remember those who followed them in the second division and bellow.

Steve L was right when he said about people "getting off their butts" - I'm fed up of muppets talking to me down the pub like their Citys biggest fans, when in truth they show for the big games at the most.

I agree , it was a pathetic attendance for a city the size of bristol and a team top of the league with ten straight wins. The so called "fans" who didnt go to the game should be ashamed of themselves. :dunno:

Guest ReadingTom

I think City should be getting crowds of at least 15000plus considering their position.The people of Bristol are so apathetic.I live in Reading which is a much smaller place ,however, they get crowds consisitently around 15000 and even more for the bigger games when there is a large away support.

Even a couple of years ago when they got promoted they were getting bigger crowds than we are now.

Despite the journey I have not missed a leaguematch home or awa for nearly 2 years!

Guest bristol south end

Well Reading tom you have got a short memory because when you were playing at Elm Park you were lucky to get more than 6000 (unless BCFC were in town) even in your promotion years of the 80s & early 90s they wre still pityfully small crowds the only reason your crowds are higher now is because of that fantastic stadium

Of all the games in the Nationwide, only four or five attendances were higher than ours - think of the trouble many of the first division teams are in paying first division wages and getting only half of our crowds. Fact is that if you are not in the prem or just out of it you are not going to get huge gates - we are doing well.

Guest ReadingTom
Well Reading tom you have got a short memory because when you were playing at Elm Park you were lucky to get more than 6000 (unless BCFC were in town) even in your promotion years of the 80s & early 90s  they wre still pityfully small crowds the only reason your crowds are higher now is because of that fantastic stadium
I agree that their attendances have improved since they got the new stadium.The point I am making is that I am a City fan living in Reading!!!! and go to every match home & away but those people living in Bristol can't be bothered to make the short trip despite our success.

Simple facts - ours was the highest attendance in 2nd Div yesterday and beat many of the 1st Div. Yes I would have liked to see 15,000 there, but didn't happen.

Crowds pick up in April if we are doing well - fine, all good additional income for the club and maybe some of them will carry on coming to AG.

Whatever the attendance is, if the atmosphere is right AG is brilliant. With the EE open and 13,000 city fans there yesterday was pretty good.

So why worry too much about how many part timers will come down now we are doing so well :cool:

I enjoy going to AG to watch city and would still go if there were only 1,000 fans :D

Their loss really!

We'll just have to make it sound like there are 15,000+ in the ground :o

13,800 suggests that AG was only two thirds full, yet I'd guess that it was at least three quarters full. This degree of understating has been going on for a few years now. I'm sure that its some dodgey VAT scam, but who's going to tell tales!!

Guest WestburyRed
13,800 suggests that AG was only two thirds full, yet I'd guess  that it was at least three quarters full. This degree of understating has been going on for a few years now.  I'm sure that its some dodgey VAT scam, but who's going to tell tales!!
"Two thirds full" would suggest a capacity of 20,700. This is pretty much not achievable at a competitive football match at Ashton Gate due to safety and segregation issues.

Just shy of 14k actually suggests there were about 4000 useable seats left empty, which as far as I could see from my view in the Williams is pretty much spot on, especially considering we still had a fair bit of space in the EE, and Wrexham only fully used a single block. Not to mention all the single empty seats dotted about (especially in the Family Stand), count them up and you would probably be suprised.

Dunno about anybody else but I'm bored and quite frankly amazed by the stupidity of some supporters claiming a well ran club like BCFC would fiddle attendances to save a few quid on the tax return, especially when generally higher attendances would probably bring more supporters in week for week. Many seem to forget the fact that away support at AG is usually fairly slim, and considering they have a few thousand seats available to them this goes a long way in explaining a large proportion of empty seats.

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

Another factor may be that if people with season tickets don't turn up they aren't included in the gate where as other teams do this.

Archived